“Great Value and Brilliant Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Harcourt Hotel

Harcourt Hotel
Ranked #111 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
South Pasadena, California
“Great Value and Brilliant Location”
Reviewed January 6, 2006

I was very pleased with this hotel. This marked my 8th trip to Dublin. I usually stay in Temple Bar or Ballsbridge. This hotel and its area was a first for me, and I really liked the hotel, the neighborhood, nearby pubs/clubs, and convenience to the Luas and Grafton St. There was a minor mix-up when I checked in, as the hotel charged me more than what my Orbitz reservation confirmed. The reservations manager decided to refund me and deal with Orbitz for the difference, which I thought was great service. There is an ATM at the hotel, and nearby coffee and sandwich shops, as well as adjacent Little Cesars Italian restaurant, which had great food and good wine. As a single woman traveling alone, I felt comfortable here. I stayed in the adjacent building where you had separate access to the building with your room key (saves you from having to bang on the front door for access if you are coming in late -- and a bit drunk -- from the clubs/pubs). Very clean, but small room. Yes, it is loud, but all Dublin hotels are loud due to pubs and clubs nearby, so just deal with it. It is fun! Good value!!

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank Christine M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 11, 2005

Stayed (me, my wife and my daughter) in the Harcourt Hotel in Dublin for 4 NTS on 6 dec 2005.
The location is brillant, just a few steps from Grafton Street and within walking distance of everything. We found the hotel to be nicely appointed and very clean, especially the bathrooms.
We never had a problem with noise!

• Stayed December 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florence, Italy
Reviewed November 26, 2005

The staff didn't appear that knowledgeable. For example, upon check-in I asked the guy at the desk how to get into the hotel after 11 (as I've read in previous comments that main door was locked) and he told me that now that doesn't happen anymore, well it still applies. Not a big issue in the end, but if you don't even know how guests are supposed to access the place you work at I don't see why somebody should ask for advices. On their behalf, I've to say that anybody behind that desk looked always extremely busy and always gave the impression of being attending more than one duty at the same time. Another odd thing was that upon check-in I was asked for a full prepayment.

The room was fine, very quiet and comfortable although cleaning standards weren't really that high. The worst part was that I had problems with the hot water in the shower almost every day, even after I mentioned it to the desk. The idea I got was that there wasn't that much to fix as the water pressure seems to not reach the top floor that well, so I'd suggest requesting for a lower floor if you don't want to find yourself in a waterless shower for a while during peak hours.

The pub, quite surprisingly, is more pricy than some places in Temple Bar! If you want to stay in the area I'd rather suggest The Bleeding Horse on Camden St. Upper (right next to the Camden Court Hotel) that offered more reasonable prices and a more "Irishy" atmosphere.

In the end the place could be fine if they go through some minor changes, but I'm quite sure that for the same budget you can get a room in a more central location.

• Stayed November 2005
5 Thank alexdeflorence

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Widnes, Cheshire
Reviewed November 25, 2005

Read all the reviews about the Harcourt Hotel, even the one about the noise from the Club - but still felt we would like to stay there. The Hotel is brilliantly located to reach all venues - great walk through St Stephens Green Park - The Hotel itself is very clean and well presented, bedrooms are spotlessly clean, but I have to admit the noise from the Club is bad if you are at the front of the hotel - we stayed in room 100 - first night was woken at 3.00am second night made sure we had enough guinness to help us throught it!!!! This is the only thing I can fault it on - it didn't spoil our stay but it is worth bearing in mind.

8 Thank Prendy
UK
Reviewed November 19, 2005

Great I would immagine if you are 18 - 30 but if you like to sleep between midnight and 3am forget it, no one monitors the on site night club.
We moved from rear room to front room to no effect.
Be warned.

Stayed November 2005
5 Thank tezzauk
Memphis,Tn
Reviewed November 8, 2005

Stayed here one night and booked based on the reviews here. The rooms are a bit small, but neat and tidy. Staff was accommodating and friendly. just a 5 minute walk from Grafton Street and in a safe neigborhood. there is a nightclub across the street and one in the hotel. Never had a problem with noise and in fact, slept like a baby. I would stay again if my travel plans include Dublin.

5 Thank Gomezkiller
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 31, 2005

We liked this hotel but I think a large part of that has to do with the fact that we are young and stay up very late.

The room was good sized with a full bed and single bed. Bathroom was very clean. Had a nice window view of a little courtard. The nightclub was right next door and it doesn't get quiet until about 3 am when they kick everyone out.

We could also hear the people above us very clearly so I don't think the walls are all that thick. We were in the part of the hotel that is seperate from the reception check in so we had no problem getting in late at night.

The location can't be beat; quick walk to St. Stephen's Green and Grafton St.

6 Thank Bodyandsoul