“No problems at the Harcourt Hotel”
Review of Harcourt Hotel

Harcourt Hotel
Ranked #113 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
IPSWICH
“No problems at the Harcourt Hotel”
Reviewed August 16, 2005

After reading other reviews from your site wrote to Hotel in advance stating first time taking children to Dublin (aged 4 and 8) and requested room NOT on first floor and at back of hotel.

Hotel telephoned us back at home prior to departure to confirm requirements received. Stayed Mon 8th/ Tues 9th/ Wed 10th August. Ideal room for family (Room 223) Clean, Good Decor, ,One Double, 2 Single Beds and adequate space to move around. Spacious bathroom and TV (all channels worked)

A little late night noise from Garden below on Wed night but this is Dublin afterall! Great position to access new Electric Tram to save walk to main shopping centre. 2 Great parks nearby for children.

Only downside due to Irish drinking legislation no children in Beer garden / bar area after 8 oclock. No lounge area for children to drink their soft drinks whilst Mum and Dad have another drop of the Blackstuff. Great Bar area if you don't bring any children. I can see the Beer Garden (with covers) still popular in the depths of Winter.

WILL RETURN HERE AGAIN. Aware that likely to be noisier at Weekends but no problem early in week.

Having stayed at Jurys Christchurch (Nice but v expensive with children) and Best Western O'Connoll St (Some rooms really do need updating) within the last year the Harcourt is Best Value for money and staff friendliest.

TREVOR SHAVE AND FAMILY (IPSWICH)

7 Thank KEITHMCTUCKY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 3, 2005

I traveled to Dublin on business in May 2005 and found a GREAT deal online at the Harcourt Hotel. Because I was traveling with my Mom (she was vacationing) we wanted to find a hotel close to the city center and, if possible, my office. The Harcourt was very close to my office so we decided to give it a try.

I did read all the reviews before booking and was a little wary of the nightclub noise. We checked in on a Sunday night and out on Thursday morning. Our room faced the street and the only night I even heard noise was Wednesday, but we were so tired from sightseeing and working that it didn't bother us at all.

We did have one mishap - I had an early morning flight to Paris on Tuesday morning and scheduled a 5am taxi. When I went to the front desk to check on the timing for my cab the door was locked. No one mentioned to us that the door is locked after 11pm, and the side door through the nightclub wasn't open either. After banging on the window for 15 minutes a bell boy let me in only to discover my taxi reservation had not been made! Taxi finally arrived around 5:30 and we made it to the airport just fine.

If you are a light sleeper this might not be the place for you, but if you are looking for a good deal in what seemed to be a safe neighborhood, give it a try!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank patrish
Belfast
Reviewed July 17, 2005

I have to admit I wasn't expecting much from this hotel when we booked it because of the price (40 euro per night), but I was wrong. We got the early train down to dublin and so were stranded there 4 hours before check-in time, after a quick conversation with the hotel staff we left our bags and went for a quick walk to St Stephens Green and our room was ready in half an hour, 3 hours before the checkin time. And so we were able to get to our concert earlier than planned and get to the very front row! Yay! The room was very spacious and neat and tidy, and was cleaned everyday by the maid. We didn't spend to much time in the hotel because we were out all day and by the time we got back we were completly tired out, because of this the noise from the nightclub didn't make much difference as we went straight to sleep. The noise wasn't even that bad anyway. Breakfast and Lunch within the hotel were okay, theres a choice between the Irish Fry and a continental breakfast. And of course if you don't like the food in the hotel you can just walk next door to the ceasers restaurant. Hotel has perfect location, just down the street from St Stephens Green which is where the city centre starts. Walking home really late at night felt very safe. I can't really think of any complaints apart from the tv signal was very bad apart from one channel but we when your in dublin there's no need to be sitting about watching tv. Great hotel for the price and deserves a five star rating, staying there again in august.

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank Wah1Wah
lurgan
Reviewed July 10, 2005

Arrived early for the Ulster Final on Sunday10th July 2005. Too early to book in as we were going to book in after the match. This we did. Reception was efficient and friendly.Left car across the road and on return left in Royal College of Surgeons car park.Perhaps should have left it here first and walked to Hotel. We knew where the Hotel was but had difficulty reaching it due to the one way system. Our room was in another section of the Hotel. Left reception and went outside to enter another area with our swipe key. Lift only goes to the third floor. Our room was on the fifth floor.
Adequate clean room although the bed was small. Nice clean and small ensuite. Before retiring went to the beer garden. Filled with young people. Bar staff very friendly and efficient. Absolutely ideal for our purposes.

• Stayed July 2004
2 Thank sean
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2005

I have mixed feelings about the Harcourt Hotel. On the one hand, it is great value for the money -- well kept, clean (if tiny) rooms, great central location and good service. On the other hand, it can be very loud at night! The first time we stayed there, we had a room right on the street and I don't think I slept at all either night. It's right in the nightclub district so you hear people partying and laughing on the street until about 3 or 4 am, plus you have the tram running right outside your window until midnight or 1am. The second time we stayed there, we asked for a room at the back and it was MUCH quieter! You could still hear noise from other rooms and the occasional noise would drift over from the beer garden at the back of the hotel, but at least I was able to sleep.
If you will be out partying yourself until the early hours of the morning, or if you are able to secure a room at the back, then I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is safe and quiet during the day.

• Stayed October 2004
10 Thank schweiz2816
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 28, 2005

We had an unfortunate expreience at the Harcourt the last night we stayed there, which was a Tuesday. The disco club music was so loud and obnoxious there was no way anyone could sleep until well after 2 a.m. Wednesday. I got no sympathy from the night hotel manager (who was onsite to mange the club, not the hotel, obviously). He complained that I was talking too loudly and he didn't want to be screamed at! I was just trying to converse over the din of the music. He told me that all the travel websites warned guests about the lound music Tuesday through Saturday nights. The website I booked through made no mention of the club noise, and I've checked others that don't, other than TripAdvisor. In any case, this hotel is a guest UNfriendly, and I would not recommend it to anyone. I found the staff there arrogant, downright resentlful that guests would even complain about the noise, and unhelpful. Avoid this hotel, unless you are looking for a place to drink to oblivion, dance like a drunken idiot, and howl at the moon.

B.S.

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

London
Reviewed June 26, 2005

We chose the Harcourt Hotel because it was cheap, in an ideal location and as we were there for my friends birthday (there were 8 of us in total) the club was without doubt the most inticing part. The room was clean, the cooked breakfast was good and the staff were incredibly friendly. If you were going to Dublin for a romantic weekend or if you wanted peace and quiet this would definately not be the hotel for you. I say this because we went to the club ( which was good fun ) and then continued to drink in the bar, finally retiring to bed at 4am. We tried to be quite quiet on the way to the room but having read the other reviews it wouldn't suprise me if people had experienced people running around at all times of the nigh .
I would recommend the Harcourt if they were visiting Dublin in a group or if they were there for an occasion (birthday , Hen Party etc.)

• Stayed June 2005