“Depending on what you want its either fantastic or dire”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Harcourt Hotel

Harcourt Hotel
Ranked #112 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Depending on what you want its either fantastic or dire”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is VERY cheap and within walking distance to St Stephen's Green, Grafton Street and city centre. Myself and 3 family members shared a room for just £35 each which is an unheard of price in Dublin. There is a reason for that!

Despite being two floors above the hotel's basement nightclub, the noise was incredibly loud. I may as well have tried to sleep in the club. The hotel did provide earplugs in the room which were comfortable and blocked out almost all of the sound (I did worry about hearing the fire alarm!).

The hotel food and drink was reasonably priced and tasted alright. The free wifi worked intermittently.

We have stayed here on a number of occasions when all we want is somewhere cheap to rest our heads. This occasion we were at a concert and weren't planning on getting much sleep anyway! If you just want a place to lay down and don't mind the racket, it does the job.

If you are looking for a relaxing hotel stay, look elsewhere!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
donegal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

It gets the necessary 1 star for the reception staff, credit where credit is due. We stayed over the marathon weekend when hotel was quite busy and they remained friendly and in control, unfortunately thats where the good ends. We had a quadruple room, supposedly can sleep 5 adults, it had room for the three beds and no more, we spent the time tripping over our suitcases.
Then there was the bathroom! You could quite literally sit on the toilet and was your hand in the sink, if you felt like it. The water was pure white, why? i have no explanation! And there wasn't even enough room to get dressed in there.
Next came the noise. Room 222, do not book it! I looked out the window and though oh good we're at the back of the hotel no street noise but no!!! Extractor fans galore and unsealed windows. Not just a lack of double glazing or soundproofing but actual draughts in the window for full extractor effect! Also on the noise side for those who don't realise, like myself, it is directly across the road from coppers nightclub so there will always be noise.
And lastly the menu.... Or lack there of. A very limited bar food menu with no children's options, no lunch options such as sandwiches, this was a big disappointment since my husband had just ran the marathon and really did not want to walk back into the city. And not even a potato/mash option. The hotel was swarming in marathon runners and all they were being offered the night before the race was chips and burgers, or the only pasta dish, a very dry looking lasagna.

So on the whole i would NEVER stay here again and i feel sorry for all the lovely reception staff because they are not to blame for any of the faults this hotel has to offer!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Northern Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed for one night at this hotel, whilst attending a function in Dublin City Centre and payed the €8 deposit whilst.booking online for room only.

Hotel is situated a short distance from Grafton Street and is situated opposite the Garda (police) HQ.

Check in is quick and you pay the bill on check in (option to add breakfast on). Rooms are fine with high ceilings, TV, and sizable bathrooms. I was only going to be in my room for a short time, so was not looking for 5*!

Hotel has nice bar area, which is also the breakfast area.

Coming back to the hotel, may be a concern for some as their is a night club in the basement of the hotel and you have to identify yourself to door staff as a guest to get admission to the hotel

My room was to the front and I did the hear the tram and late night revelers on the Street, but was not the worst I have experienced.

Conclusion for a short stay or an event (celebration) this hotel is cheap and cheerful!

Would I stay here again.... yes!

Room Tip: One to the rear of hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Huge sound of music huge notice from the street with people throwing bottles and shouting ..... They don't bother about the residents at all ...... The window are neither sound proof
Wifi ain't working or maybe I will say they have no wifi at all.
I swear never to return to that hotel and won't recommend someone to visit if you need peace of mind

Room Tip: All room are worse ... With notice from the club
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. I wish I had read the reviews because Boy Oh Boy, that nightclub/bar was SO NOISY!! Not only that, you could hear the tram passing very loudly. All the drunks walking on the street and shouting were very disturbing. It was as if the room had no windows. You could also hear people from the hallways very loudly. I never knew that windows could fail to block sounds so completely.

They supposedly did room service for breakfast but when I asked for it, they said they don't provide that anymore. The information on the hotel said they had a restaurant called Little Caesar's. No such luck! Little Caesar's was closed or something.

The phone had instructions for making outside calls but does not work. The only way to make outside calls is by calling 333. DO NOT USE YOUR CREDIT CARD TO MAKE CALLS FROM THE ROOM!!! I made that mistake by calling a UK number for about 8 minutes. The company who does the calls charged my card US$49.10 three times for one call, then the next day, they charged a little less than a dollar, and the day after that they charged my card $89.77. RIPOFF!

POSITIVES: The only reason I rate a 2 is because the staff was okay. Some were friendlier than others but it cannot make up for the rest of the insufficiencies. It is also close to the city center so good for walking out to tour the city or catch tour buses.

Room Tip: If possible, try to get a room that does not have a street view or is located over the nightclub/bar...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Last night myself and a friend stayed in the harcourt hotel. I have to say it was the worst hotel experience we've ever had. Upon arrival we were given room 1602 and told to leave the main hotel and go next door and follow the signs, we got lost trying to find it, we did not expect to be put in what can only be described as the shed out the back garden. When we finally found it we were disappointed in the facilities, we didn't even get towels! The noise from the laundry room directly under our room was horrendous and the guy throwing bottles into a shredder type machine blocked out the sound on the tv. The room was incredibly warm and if we opened the windows the noise was terrible! Furthermore when you put the bathroom light on, the main room light also comes on waking the person sleeping if you need to use the bathroom in the night. The morning was worse the tumble dryers started at 7am and a staff member literally throwing beer kegs around at this time is unacceptable. I expect to be able to sleep when staying in a hotel. When I called to complain about the tumble dryers I was told they knew and they did nothing about it, then the staff had a meeting where they blatantly mocked us for complaining! I can't understand why they even put people in these rooms. The sound is horrible even with the earplugs provided by the hotel, the floor vibrates when the washing machine spins! We expected pub and nightclub noise as stated on the site but not to be stuck over a laundry room! We did not feel like valued customers! To say I'm extremely annoyed and very tired is an understatement! I expected a comfortable room and a nights sleep, not to be woken at the crack of dawn by staff and machinery. The "hotel" is a disgrace do not stay here!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank TKottemann
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed in this hotel because it looks like a respectable nice place to stay. But unfortunately the hotel cares more about its revenue from the nightclub downstairs than the comfort of its residents. When we asked to change rooms to get away from the noise we were told point blank that "it clearly states on the hotel website that it's noisy so tough luck"... So much for Irish hospitality..
Wednesday night is student night so please don't stay in the hotel on a Wednesday if you're planning on sleeping.

• Stayed October 2013