“You can do better”

Ranked #62 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Sackville, NB, CANADA
“You can do better”
Reviewed June 18, 2010

We were not impressed with the North Star Hotel. They were understaffed and the concierge wasn't overly helpful and worse, he gave us the wrong directions for an art gallery. We were upgraded to one of the hotel's new rooms because of a mistake on the part of the hotel. This was a blessing in disguise because the standard rooms are tired and also they appear to be quite popular with party-goers. The room we ended up with was recently renovated, but the renovations were clearly done on the cheap. The caulking around the tub was already gone and the grout in the bathroom tiles was coming out. The hotel wasn't cheap either, and it's good walk from the city centre proper. A continental breakfast was included, which was very basic, but what we expected. In fairness, the hotel is really handy to Connolly Station and the reception staff are doing their best, which we appreciated. The bed we had was a king, and it was super comfortable and our room had a good size deck which you could access. This was a nice treat. We wouldn't stay here again though, and you can find a better hotel that's closer, and likely much nicer for the same price.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
scotland
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Used by people going to the O2. Run a bus usually for big concerts but we walked short distance to end of road and got a tram after quick pint in Katies corner. Quick and easy going - but massive crowds trying to get tram on way home.
The hotel was fairly basic compared with what I read. Clean enough with maids every day, but nothing great.
Location for O2 is good but its not in a great area next to railway bridge and main road.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Italy
Reviewed May 13, 2010

I booked this hotel, 'cause I founded an offer on a famous last minute web site: they offer 3 nights at the price of 2, and 3 nights were just what I was looking for.
The hotel it's just on the railway station but no particular noises was heard and the situation wasn't dangerous.

When I arrived the reception didn't recognize the 3x2 offer, so they wanted I pay for 3rd night. Absolutely not! We had a little discussion and finally all get well.
The Room was very big, we were 2 of us, but we had 1 double bed and 2 twin bed, so 4 bed for 2 people. By the way, the room was not particularly dirt, but what I call clean is something else.
I don't think I'd return there.

• Stayed August 2009
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2010

We read many bad reviews before going to Dublin which almost put us off this hotel but I am so glad we went!! Easily the comfiest bed I have ever slept in, great staff who brought us pizza at 2am, room cleaned very well every day of the stay. We stayed in a Premier club room which are the ones pictured on the website. They're right next to the train station but you can hardly hear the trains. Only 6 euros from the airport to Busaras Station which is right near the North Star - brilliant.

1 Thank lisaisg
NorthStarhotel, Front Office Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2010
Hi lisaisg,

Thank you for your kind words in regard to our premier club rooms and staff.
The beds in our premier club rooms are quite popular with our guest, as is our midnight
munchies menu.
We hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your return to Dublin.

Kind Regards
Damien
Front Office Manager
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Stayed at the North Star Hotel, Dublin in October 2009 for 1 night after booking online through Failte Hotels. At the time of my initial booking I was quoted and charged for a room only, paying a deposit to Failte Hotels with the balance due to the North Star Hotel. I subsequently amended this to include a breakfast inclusive rate and got my initial deposit properly refunded. A deposit was again taken for my amended booking, however when I arrived at the Nort Star Hotel it refused to honour the breakfast inclusive rate, causing some embarassment at the reception desk. I didn't argue the toss at the time and chose to resolve this issue after my stay. Consequently my wife and I did not take breakfast or any other meals at the hotel. Having now been corresponding with both the North Star Hotel and Failte Hotels by email for some months, I still await my refunds totalling €37.90 which I am now vigorously pursuing. I have to say that I have received an apology from the hotel regarding the incorrect actions of the reception staff who refused to honour my breakfast voucher, but I have also been blatanatly ignored and lied to over the promised refund by several individuals. All my recent emails sent with read a receipt have been unanswered and the attitude of both the North Star Hotel and Failte Hotels is rude and unprofessional. I won't book with either again and this is disappointing as I have stayed at this hotel before on previous trips to Dublin. On the plus side it is located not far from O'Connell Street and is handy for the O2 Arena. It is however very basic but served a function. The ignorant attitude of the employees I have experienced does little to enhance the reputation of both the hotel and Dublin and I won't be rushing back - Dublin is also becoming overpriced and greedy as evidence in a local bar (Malloy's) round the corner from the hotel who charges locals €3 for a pint of Guinness but the tourist rate is almost doublt that !!! Rip Off : (

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CassUK1100
Italy
Reviewed March 22, 2010

There is a possibility that you may get a newly renovated room, supposedly, but I would not even take the chance. It was the most disgusting hotel we have ever stayed in. If you like sleeping on a small rock with rock pillows then this place is for you. Not sure what our view looked like due to the filthiness of our window. Oh, and if you like cold showers with a babbling brook water pressure then this is the place for you! I actually felt dirtier after getting out of the shower. And the only way to get any sleep at night is to be completely intoxicated. And be careful, the location is dodgy at best. I think we almost got robbed or beat up by a bunch of kids!

1 Thank dking210
Mayo
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed in this hotel the weekend after Paddys day for a concert. We had booked an executive suite via the concert special advertised. When we arrived we had trouble finding the car park as it is not sign posted but when we did we were informed of the absolutely ridiculous parking rates! I would assume that most hotels provide parking for their guests.. especially at these rates! This information regarding the car parking facilities was not mentioned at the time of booking either. Staff were ok, not particularly interested in their customers but were friendly. We enquired about the Shuttle bus service to the O2 and it was not running.. another problem as we had booked the hotel on the grounds that this service was available, breakfast was buffet style and very good. Our "executive room" was average, nothing executive about it! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone as it is too expensive for what you get.

1 Thank Kandigurl