“Going down hill fast .......”
Review of North Star Hotel

North Star Hotel
Ranked #63 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Aberdeenshire
“Going down hill fast .......”
Reviewed December 9, 2006

Stayed here overnight on the 8th December. Had stayed here in January and had a room thorugh in the new part which was great, so stayed here again. BIG MISTAKE!!

On checking in, I asked the receptionist for a quiet room - I got Room 126 which if she thinks this is a quiet room, then she had something wrong with her hearing!!

I arrived back from a concert at 11:30 and heard a full scale party going on in McCoys. The part of the hotel I was in, the music was so loud I thought I was in McCoys!! I was told this would finish at 12:30am, so could wait. At 12:45am, I asked reception again, was told to wait another 10 minutes. Just after 1am, I got dressed and went downstairs - the receptionist wouldnt let me talk and kept interrupting me. He then said it would finish at 2am.

Finally, at 2am the music went off, but then the fun and games started. If you stay here, just remember that we can hear EVERYTHING through the walls ....... I dont know how to put this politely ...... but, well, use your imagination!!! Well it went on for about 3-4 hours!!!! I kid you not .........

I had an early start so was up and about at 6:00am when a young female, dressed extremely skimpily, tried to get into my room!!! She was from the "noisy" room!!

As for the trains, when they went past less than 50 metres from my window, the whole room shook!! They start just after 4am in the morning, but cos of the noise, I was up anyway!!

Needless to say, between the music and this female, I never slept all night - I was shattered. Told the receptionist at 1am I was never staying here again.

My husband and I, are planning to be in Dublin for New Years Eve 2007/2008, but we are most definately NOT staying at this hotel again.

• Liked — Leaving!!
  • Disliked — Everything!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't Stay here!! Go Elsewhere!!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank joviscot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed December 5, 2006

This is the second time we have stayed in The North Star. Our first time was a great experience but not so the second time.

The noise at night-time is very bad so we would recommend you get earplugs if you are to get any sleep.

We asked for a non-smoking room and were given a smoking room (with ashtrays taken out!).

Not all the electricity points worked in our room which was quite frustrating!

The general cleanliness of the room was quite poor.

Its a shame as the hotel is in a wonderful location, so close to the city and the Airlink bus but unfortunatley we will be in no rush to come back to the North Star!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness and the noise
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank jo_c78123
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2006

After reading the reviews on this site I was dissappointed that I had booked the hotel, and was worried about the state of the hotel.

My Mum and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights at the start of December and we were more than pleased with the hotel. We booked direct with the hotel and got a nice twin room in the new part of the hotel. Although you can here the trains, they are not that frequent, and did not disturb us through the night at all.

We had booked for Bed & Breakfast with an evening meal on the first night and it was great. The food was great and the rooms were very smart. Breakfast was good with loads of choice from cereal and fresh fruit to a full irish breakfast. Also, the hotel has a Gym and a Sauna.

Location is great...over the road from Connelly Station for the dart and the Luas. about 5 minutes walk to the spike and Henry Street,

Would definately stay at this hotel again....the old fashioned charm of the old hotel at the front leading to a new, clean hotel at the rear.

• Liked — Location, Food at Hotel
  • Disliked — Sound of Trains
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank rsw_88
derry
Reviewed December 1, 2006

just back from my two night stay at the north star after reading reviews i was very scared off what i was in for , to my releif it was one of the best hotels i have ever stayed in and would definately stay here again and the staff in all department were very well mannered and polite and the food was fantastic and location was right in the town fantastic i wish there were six point as this hotel deserves it its a pitty the killers concert was cancelled or it would have been best weekend of my life , this hotel for value for money was amazing and food prices aswell were great just TEMPLE BAR VERY VERY EXSPENSIVE but great atmosphere hoping to go back in three weeks and will be staying at the NORTH STAR FOR DEFS

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank raygreen
London
Reviewed November 22, 2006

This hotel is unbelievably noisy as it is right by a train station and the trains rumble past at all hours. So do NOT stay here if you want to get some sleep. We booked via another website and when asked to change rooms were told we had to pay a surcharge - even though there were clearly some empty rooms in the part of the hotel away from the railway. Our room was cold as the radiator didn't work, rather small and dingy. The breakfast buffet was greasy and poor quality food and teh ketchup tasted of vinegar.

• Disliked — Our room was horribly noisy and the hotel would not change it without charging us.
  • Tips/Secrets — don't go.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CeejyG
Lancashire England
Reviewed November 16, 2006

Having just returned from a short dublin break, thought I would add my review about the North Star Hotel. Having booked via the website for the airline I was travelling with and after booking read the reviews of how awful this hotel was !!- I was very concerned as to what I would find, but also noticed good reviews as well as bad ones had been posted. Although I was in one of the single rooms on the older side of the hotel, and it did rattle a bit from the trains, I can say that the room was clean and reasonable equipped. The water for the shower did eventually become hot but one had to be prepared to let it run for several minutes. Luckily the trains do not run throughout the night so rooms very quiet from midnight onwards. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfasts good value for money.

Area is one that is slightly run down but noticed lots of people walking alone even late at night and certainly no unpleasant atmosphere on the streets however late it was.

Overall good value for money. Learnt from the hotel staff that the better rooms are not booked out to the hotel agencies - so if booking would do so direct with the hotel - then you can request a room in the executive and more updated side of the hotel.

• Liked — Near to city centre. Great Breakfast
  • Disliked — Train noise - small size towels
  • Tips/Secrets — Boiok direct with Hotel for best rooms
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank cassie101
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Whenever I travel I am only in the hotel for a very minimum amount of time, so I am never very picky when it comes to where I stay... Usually safe (I am a young woman traveling alone most of the time) and clean is it for my list of demands. However, my experience at the North Star was *so* bad I felt compelled to write a review in the hopes of saving someone in the future from making a mistake and booking here (I was suckered in by the three stars and the low price!). There was NO hot water two out of the three days I was there (literally - you would turn the handle anywhere near the center towards hot and the water would shut off). I did get a tiny stream of hot water the day I tried showering at 6am - but 9am, 9pm, 11pm, etc. had no luck. My toilet would not flush all the way and there was greenish foul smelling water that would make me gag when I went into the bathroom. The towels seemed haphazardly flung onto the towelbar so they looked used. The adjoining bar to the hotel was so scary I had to circumvent the hotel every night when i came home. The guy from the local convenience store came into the hotel looking for me (I had used a credit card at the store with my name on it) and they gave him my room number and gave him ACCESS TO MY ROOM - oh and there is no peephole so god only knows what would have happened if i didnt ask who it was before opening the door. The wireless didn't work in the room so you had to sit in the lobby (shady characters) in order to use the computer. And, of course, I complained about my plumbing issues and the total lack of security and as you can see i remained in that room and the issues were never resolved. This is an awful place with disgusting levels of cleanliness and no pride in keeping customers happy or safe. The trains didn't even bother me - I had expected a little shaking before booking the hotel - but the extent of the filth I thought needed emphasizing.

• Liked — Close to train station so I could get the heck out of there quickly
  • Disliked — Plumbing, safety, cleanliness, nonresponsive staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Do Not Book This Hotel!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)