“Great hotel, great stuff”
Review of North Star Hotel

Ranked #66 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I was in the North star with my friend in October and I have to say the hotel is not a Gresham but i didn't pay the same rate eighter.We loved it and i found everything fine and very familier. Our room was a twin room and it was clean and comfortable. The breakfast is just perfect and stuff is very nice. Kieron was absolutly helpful, Paddy in the bar just great and funny and Rita the receptionist is just so lovely, you don't want to lieve the hotel after her smile. We will come back again defienetly.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Wicklow01

Reviewed November 14, 2009

I stayed here with my wife and was dissapointed by the way we were treated by the Management,
My room that i was given in the hotel was a disgrace small damp musty smelly and the pillow slips were dirty and mildew in bathroom,
stains on the carpet,
i complained about the size of my room, and dirt and asked for a change but was told the manager was to busy and was in the laundry helping out apparently the housekeeper is a manager as well no wonder the rooms are dirty.
The bar area was dirty and a very bad odour from counter,
Restaurant is only open weekend,
The service in the Breakfast restaurant was poor and the toast was cold all the fruit served is out of a tin and there is no meats or cheese provided and when i asked the waitress for some she said it wasn't possible.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2009

I stayed at this hotel because I was going to see Simply Red at the O2. Really was a good spot since the pick up area for the bus is just steps outside the hotel. The bus however doesn't drop you off at the venue, you will have to walk a little. None the less, hotel was as expected. I stayed in a premier suite. Room was clean and always taken care of by the time I got back from being out. No noise from the bar or train was ever heard and I kept my sliding patio door open at night. I walked everywhere in town & never a hassle getting back. Kieran the concierge helped me out greatly. I only wish they had free internet and breakfast. I will stay again when I go back to Dublin.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Dublinhotelier, Manager at North Star Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2009

Dear love4travel1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the North Star Hotel with the TripAdvisor Community. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular your thoughts on our Premier Club Rooms. I will pass on your comments to Kieran and am assured that he will be very pleased. Unfortunately the majority of hotels and agents are selling rooms on a room only package so that the offer is more competitive and easier on the pocket. When I started here 5 or so years ago it was all bed and breakfast now it seems that over half of the guests staying with us are on a room only package. You are able to purchase breakfast if you want but I understand your point of view. At present we have looked at our competitors and feel charging for the internet is the way to go at the moment but it is certainly something we are looking at. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 6, 2009

Im not sure about these reviews here seem there either very good or very bad , and it seems that only the good reviews are answered but not the bad ones which i find strange.
But i will let you make your own mind up ,
i did stay here with my wife and here are the following complaints :

1. No lift to reception from main entrance,
2. No Porter on duty to bring up our luggage.
3. No Concierge on duty when we needed it
4. No Manager on duty as they were serving breakfast.
5. No internet access in room as they were having trouble.
6. No Resaturant open on the Tuesday night we were there.
7. No Decent rooms on the old part of hotel
8. Yes you can get a better room if you pay the hotel more money : exploitation
9. Yes the bar area is rowdy with local thugs i was terrified in there one night
10. Yes i also got a drink in bar in a hot chipped glass
11. Yes the hotel Reception is dark and gloomy and Rita was rathe rude.
12, Yes the bedroom was small musty with trains passing by (unless you upgrade ie give them more of your hard earned money)'
13. Yes the Gym is unsupervised which is illegal
14, Yes i would never stay here again
I Await a reply by the management

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear turbidy

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. As you mentioned a lot of our reviews are hit or miss and unfortunately I can’t verify if these are genuine reviews or not especially as I have not received a single compliant letter from anyone who seems to fit the complaints listed here on this site. More so when I check all the agents websites that we use like Expedia, Hotels.com and hotel direct for example where we have glowing recommendations. I would have hoped that you would have looked through the various pages on the site where you will see I have answered the majority of reviews good or bad.

1. The front of the hotel is an 18th century building and we are unable to install a lift. Naturally there are stairs which consist of 12 steps.
2. There is always someone to help you with your luggage if you are unable to carry them up the flight of stairs.
3. The concierge in the lobby is not the only member of staff that can assist you with a tour, or hiring of a car, or directions. If the concierge was not at his desk you only needed to ask at reception.
4. The manager is never counted as a staff member required to serve at breakfast. Naturally a manager needs to monitor the service and give a hand especially when the majority of guests staying tend to come down with 15 minutes of service left.
5. Any issues with the internet get reported with our service provider. I have checked our service book and have also rang them to see when the last reported case was. It was in early September.
6. In order to provide guests with a service and also taking into consideration the cost involved to operate the restaurant, amount of guests staying in the hotel, bookings taken etc a decision is taken whether or not to open the restaurant. If it is to close, we open up a quite area of the bar using the same restaurant menu, cutlery, table cloths and service. I apologise that the restaurant wasn’t open during your last visit and hope you chose to dine in the bar.
7. All of our hotel bed rooms are certified 3 star standards by failte Ireland hotels, our governing body.
8. You can choose to upgrade at a cost of €30.00. Please bear in mind that if your upgrading from the standard you are going up two room grade types up to our Premier Club Rooms. This is not compulsory and you may chose to do so if you wish.
9. The bar is open to everyone and we implement a strict dress code. We also have dedicated security on certain nights and I’m sorry if you felt terrified in the bar. I also hope you contacted a manager to address your fears.
10. I’m sorry that you received your drink in a hot chipped glass I hope that you returned it and asked for a fresh one. We have recently refreshed all our glasses in the bar due to the last comment that was aired only on Tripadvisor.
11. It’s your opinion that the reception is dark and gloomy, the majority of feedback we receive is positive and futuristic. Unfortunately Rita no longer works with us and has not done so for about one month??
12. As mentioned at no 7. & 8
13. The gym is unsupervised but reception, who give out new daily keys monitor guests so that it is only adults who use the gym.
14. I’m sorry to read that you will not be returning to the North Star for future visits and hope that the above answers your points. Perhaps if you actually wrote or called to the hotel with your complaint you might get a speedier answer rather than writing on 3rd party sites.

Reviewed November 5, 2009

I have to agree with the last poster Paul. I recently stayed in the hotel for 1 night with my boyfriend after attending a concert in the O2. Have to admit that I was a bit pesimpistic after reading the reviews but the hotel was great and we had no complaints. We stayed in a double executive room and while it was basic it was absolutely spotless clean which it my opinion is more important than how the decor looks. The bed was comfortable and we had a sound sleep, breakfast was buffet style and was lovely. Staff servicing breakfast were great and receptionist (who people complained about in previous reviews) couldn't have been nicer. Would recommend hotel for a stay and if we go to another concert in the O2 again I would definitely book in to the North Star again for the night.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear IrelandTraveller1,

It was a pleasure to read your review and I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community. I’m glad that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us and that the concert was a success. It was pleasing to read your comments about our staff and I’m glad they looked after you throughout your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the North Star Hotel in the very near future. If you would like to be added to our O2 mailing list you can contact me through Tripadvisor or directly at the hotel. Thank you one again for your review

Reviewed November 3, 2009

I stay here regularly with my company and have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

The food is excellent, the staff are wonderful and I have never had a problem in the bar.
The location is perfect for anybody doing business in the IFSC.

Some of the reviews here are ridiculous.

Paul Johns

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Dear johnsopaul,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. Some of the reviews unfortunately are beyond ridiculous and I appreciate you fighting our corner. Your business with us is valued and if there is anything that I can do to improve your stay and experience of our hotel I would certainly be happy to listen. Thank you one again for your review

Reviewed October 29, 2009

I recently stayed here for a concert on the o2. Really enjoyed my stay
staff are friendly and helpful,great location and the shuttle to the o2 is a big plus.
Kieran the concierge couldn't do enough for us, he was brilliant.

Value for money and a an experience, will definitely consider coming back.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Dear hughesy848 ,

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and your stay with us. It was a pleasure to look after you and we are delighted that you enjoyed our facilities. If you would like to be added to our O2 mailing list please contact me by email or phone. You can also find information about our special deals and concert breaks on our website. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

North Star Hote