“Great hotel- we had a back room though!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of North Star Hotel

North Star Hotel
Ranked #61 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Leeds, UK
“Great hotel- we had a back room though!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2006

We had a great stay here- our original room was on the front and non-smoking, but as the room had a smoky smell, we were upgraded to a lovely room in the much quieter back part of the hotel.

The staff were very friendly and the atmosphere was great with the rugby in the city.

I would recommend this hotel for a cheap, comfortable break. The walk into town is not long at all, but Talbot Street is a little seedy. Also avoid the attached bar (McCoys) at the weekend, it gets a little busy...

Great hotel!

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank NumberOne&Two

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Castle Donington,Derby, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2006

Well, after reading all the other early reviews post booking - and it was a valentines surprise for the wife..without the 5 kids ... I was lets say hopeful..
But I can say this was a great little hotel, cheery staff - food good, beer cheaper than temple bar!! with excellent transport links,
748 drops off and picks up from the airport, 1st stop!!
Connelly St station(Dart) across the rd,
Tram point 100 yards down the rd - sandyford easily commutable.
yes the outside could do with a lick of paint and it can be noisy at times - but they seem to be making an effort, fresh paint smells and new carpets being fitted in just the 2 days we spent there.
Its value for money in a growing city.
Rooms clean, I booked a twin and got an upgrade to a superior room free of charge - just ask - you have nothing to lose.
Recomended eating places - Elephant & castle Temple Bar (checkout the chicken wings yummmmy!)
And if you have time get the DART to Howth (3.5 euros return) and check out the King Sitric - great fish resturant straight from the harbour fleet!! not cheap but quality food
Paul & Carol - Castle Donington, UK

5 Thank hawky_23
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2006

Re: The North Star Hotel, Dublin.

The hotel was fine. It is close to the city centre, not more than 15 min walk to Temple Bar.

My room was clean. I got upgraded free of charge. You know, it was the usual thing when booking throught lastminute. There is no guarantee of getting a non-smoking room even if you ask for one when booking. So, this time I was lucky and got a room without smoke.

Some people may think a few streets nearby the hotel are somewhat run down. I dont think it is too bad, compared to any big British city. In addition, there were plenty of people around on the streets during the evening so the area felt perfectly safe, at least before 10pm.

Downsides: Rooms towards the street are probably quite noisy. Irish breakfast is almost 10 Euros extra.

Male Traveller
Paid £35 excl. breakfast

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2006

After reading the reviews i was not expecting the Ritz, so myself and my friends all female were set for a good girlie weekend.
On arrival the outside of the hotel left a lot to be desired, inside reception was nice and clean and things seemed to be ok until the train went passed/through the hotel.
We had an excutive suite which was nice but very basic and our room was overlooked by what seemed to be the staff's outside smoking area so we kept our curtains shut, but we could not hear the train in the room.
There was no hotel bar, it was the pub next door with a door into the hotel.
As we went to the local shops we soon realised that this was by no means a safe area to be alone night or day, during the weekend various people advised us not to walk back to hotel at night, which i would never have done anyway, taxis are very frequent and only 8 Euros to temple bar.
The only food we had was room service very late one night, this was very nice and resonably priced.
Overall staff very freindly, the place was clean - but noisy, and the wrong side of town !!

5 Thank EllieYork
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2006

Having never been to dublin before we didn't really know where to stay, so we opted for the cheapest yet closest to city option we could find. Hence the North Star.

On arrival at 1pm we were told we could not check in until 2 but could however leave our bags. No problem we thought, so off to the nearest pub. We came back at 2 and in order to reclaim our luggage had to search through some dirty looking broom cupboard.

We then made our way to our room, which was on the 2nd floor, at the front/side. Room was very small, fairly dated, but clean, so we were happy. Until we heard the trains. They sounded as if they were actually in our room. On looking out of the window, they almost were. No more than 3 meters of fresh air separated us from the finest Dublin trains, all travelling at great speed. My girlfriend is a lightweight, and was feeling the effects of a heavy night, and as such wanted some sleep. I left her, went to the pub and returned 1 hour later, to find an equally tired girl. The trains were so noisy not even my girlfriend could sleep. I knew then that they were loud. I looked again at the tracks in the vain hope to see if they had moved any further away. They hadn't, but what I did notice was that the window was damaged and was clsoed properly. I tried to fix it, but to no avail. I was alarmed at the prospect of having to put up with my sleepless girlfriend for 2 nights, so I headed for the reception. After trying, and failing, to make myself understood with the Polish receptionist, I was assisted by perhaps the only Irish person in the whole of the hotel. I explained my situation, and was happily told we could not only move rooms but would be upgraded to an 'executive suite'.

The executive suite was far from executive, but it was at least quiet and large. It was fairly basic, but again clean, tidy and very comfortable.

We opted to eat in the restaurant, which in hindsight was a mistake. The cold, draft, drab frankly univiting dining room was largely in keeping with the food. Not bad value, but certainly wouldn't eat there again.

All in all the hotel was largley what we paid for, and in fact expected. Not 5 star living by any chance, but so long as you avoid the rooms in the train station, oh and the dinners, you can't really complain.

Oh and the hotel may as well have been in poland. Loads of polish people, and a rather big pole situated at the end of the road.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2006

Visited the Dublin Hotel North Star for a long weekend break on 13th January. Booked hotel through internet website and was under the impression I was booking room and breakfast. Apparently not. Just the room, so had to pay for breakfast for three days for 2 of us which increased the price of the break. Had to pay 9.95 euros each. Hotel was more than a 10 minute walk into the centre of Dublin, more like 20 mins. Was nicely placed for bus route to Airport, the stop was outside the hotel. We were lucky to have a room on the fifth floor in the newer part of the hotel. We overlooked a railway line which appeared to go through the centre of the hotel! Great for train spotters! Room was a good size. Bar in hotel McCoys was good but drinks were pricey. They had live music over the weekend we were there, an elvis impersonator on the Saturday and an irish version of karaoke which was singing with the duo on a Sunday evening. Would have appreciated irish music but we travelled down to temple bar to see this. Beware of extreme bar prices in this area! Pubs mostly full of american tourists very little irish locals to be seen! Would recommend the North Star Hotel but would like to see breakfast included in the price through the internet booking websites as an option.

5 Thank wickedqueen
Weymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2006

After reading the mixed reviews was very unsure about this hotel, especially when I had booked it for a group of 24 of us, but after letting the reception manager know before we arrived that I would like nice rooms, she didn't let us down. All of our rooms were located away from the noise of the trains and were very nice for a short stay - especially when we are hardly in them. Nobody had any complaints and most of us had larger triple rooms for double occupancy, so even more space. I would recommend always asking for a quieter room. Breakfast was good and the concierge was excellent - what a character. If you need any tour bus tickets, restaurant bookings or taxi back to the airport - ask him - he has very good prices!

Word of warning about taxis - we had six taxis from the airport and they ranged from costing 18 euros to 36 euros for exactly the same journey. (Normal price for 4 people should be no more than 25 euros). The airport express coach stops straight in front of the hotel so that is a good option.

Hotel bar was good and the bar snacks looked acceptable. Didn't see anybody in main restaurant.

Location of hotel is quite central, even though it is a good 15 to 20 minutes to the Temple Bar Area, but I have stayed in hotels in that area before and I will defiantely use the North Star again as there was no 'boom boom' of music until the early hours and if you have had one two many pints of Guinness, the taxi ride is short, but there are loads of pubs and restaurants close to the hotel - but you need to try Temple Bar at least once !

All in all - good, adequate hotel for a bargain price.

• Stayed January 2006