“EXTREMELY LOUD - but nice surroundings”

Russell Court Hotel
Ranked #138 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Victorville, California
“EXTREMELY LOUD - but nice surroundings”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at the Russel Court hotel July 4, 2012. The hotel was a nice looking, older Dublin hotel.The price was right, and we had read the reviews and knew that it was attached to a beer garden. We thought, a hotel attached to a pub... great! But, the beer garden is actually a "night club" that is Extremely Loud and the music goes until 4am!! They do give ear plugs in the rooms.... to no avail. My husband was very grouchy the next day since he didn't get enough sleep. For the price, I could handle it since I am a pretty good sleeper... I had to put the TV up really loud to drown out some of the music but could not drown out the thumping. So, if you are an extremely young crowd/couple, and you are planning on staying out until about 4am anyway, then you will be fine.
The room was well equipped and nicely decorated. The hotel itself was also nicely decorated with antique furniture. The breakfast in the morning was included and wonderful with tableside service. There is no parking at the hotel but there is parking nearby on the street for a fee. You will need to feed the meter before you go to bed or wake up early to feed the meter before the reader gets to your car. Across the street was Iveagh Gardens- which we just accidentally stumbled across. Iveagh Gardens are among the finest and least known of Dublin's parks and gardens. They were designed by Ninian Niven, in 1865, as an intermediate design between the 'French Formal' and the 'English Landscape' styles. They demonstrated the artistic skills of the landscape Architect of the mid 19th century and display a unique collection of landscape features which include Rustic Grotto's and Cascade, sunken formal panels of lawn with Fountain Centre Pieces, Wilderness, Woodlands, Maze, Rosarium, American Garden, Archery Grounds, Rockeries and Rooteries. It was definitely worth a walk through.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces the street instead of over the outdoor club. Those rooms might be a li...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lesnkev

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here with my partner and two friends over Friday and Saturday night. I'd read the reviews online on our day of travel, and I was worried about what the hotel would be like.

Firstly, ignore the moaning.

There are two things you need to be clear on before you choose to stay here:

1. This is a hotel with a beer garden and a club underneath it - both are late-opening every night of the week, and are going to get noisy. However this is made completely clear and explicit during the booking process

2. The rooms have a faded-grandeur theme going on. Big pieces of far-eastern style furniture - it feels like an old country manor inside, which I actually liked, but one of my friends hated. It's a matter of personal taste

My partner and I were in a huge room on the third floor, with a big bed and attached lounge. I slept all the way through both nights, noise wasn't an issue. Our friends were on the second floor, much smaller room and the noise was slightly more of an issue, but they also got 2 full nights' sleep.

Both of our rooms were clean, and the staff were polite, friendly and efficient.

Negative points: Free wi-fi is available, but we couldn't get it from our room as it was out of range. 50 euro deposit required upon checking in, but we got the full amount refunded onto our card when we left.

So why all the moaning reviews? At breakfast (which was good by the way), we were surrounded by miserable looking families and older couples, who clearly were expecting something a bit different from their quiet week in Dublin. As always when travelling, check it out before you book and make sure you're comfortable with what you're getting.

This is not the best hotel in Dublin, but it is cheap and cheerful and MUCH better than staying in a hostel.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front of the building to avoid the noisy beer garden
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Traveller858
London
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stay here if you are there on a night out, don't care what time you are going to bed and enjoy a hotel of low quality, in dire need of modernising.
The bar at the back goes on until 3.30am, the windows are single paned so you can hear the music as though it is in your room.
Would hate to be here in winter, can imagine how cold it will be.
The furnishings are in desperate need of updating, including the bathroom and shower.
AWFUL stay clear!!

Room Tip: Just don't bother, on either side of the hotel you can't escape the noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Zanoshi

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I must say that this is the favourite place for many students that are coming to Dublin! There is a big outdoors terrace and you have all pints and drinks for only 2 euros on tuesdays, hamburguers too! It is always tight after 7, so I recommend you to go as early as you can, also to avoid the huge queue! After 7 you also have to pay in the entrance to go inside.Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CarmenJoness
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here last weekend for my boyfriends birthday! Yes it was loud but when booking it warns that the hotel is affected by noise! Also the people who have reviewed on here surely you looked at reviews before you stayed? So knew what to expect?
The noise starts around 11 and goes on till about 3! I was on the 2nd floor facing the road and all that kept me awake was the base from the club, the ear plugs worked to block out the party goers outside! 2nd night we went out as that's what you do in Dublin! You don't go to have an early night! The diceys club was packed with a queue all the way down the road, but being in he hotel you get express entry without paying, it's a decent venue with the inside bar and dance floor and then the garden! Was quite a young crowd being 24 I felt old!!! Think diceys is open every night cos we were there on Sunday and Monday and it was banging both nights!
Anyways the hotel, could probably do with a refurb not the most modern, but rooms were big and clean with soft bed which was changed daily, with a small but decent breakfast thrown in included!
Location is excellent just 5 minutes stroll up the road your at st Stephens green and grafton street!
If your only paying 30 euros for location this hotel is amazing! Not for the older traveller who needs their beauty sleep!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank twinkle_t0e
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I swear to almighty God, this is thee worst hotel I've ever stayed in, and I say stayed - because I did not sleep, a wink. The staff are rude and clueless, I made 3 complaints about the noise and nobody did a thing to accomodate me. The food is appalling, I asked the waiter for a sirloin steak medium rare, to which he replied "I'll see if we have this type of swirling streaks". Everything is broken. Everything is mouldy. The wallpaper is pealing off the walls. They did not have double glazing, despite the night club that is their back garden. The tacky club goers are loud and crude. I'm 28, I go clubbing, I've been to Ibiza, I like music and noise and banter - but every night of the week, plus I was there on business. The breakfast was dry, the staff don't speak English. I hated every minute of it. I loathe this hotel and all it's staff, poor poor service.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank RobotBean
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel was recommended by Avios (why?) when I spent some airmiles for an overnight stay in Dublin, the operator did mention it could be a 'little noisey at times' but the position is fab and it wasnt a weekend night so we took a chance. The hotel is very tired and almost a little seedy. We were given a triple room on the 2nd floor for our teenage children it appeared not be be too noisey upon check in but when we arrived back from the theatre at 10pm the downstairs nightclub was rocking (a tuesday night!) and their room was literally shaking (room 30 2nd floor). They were moved to a room at the front of the hotel which didnt overlook the nightclub - the noise was still bad though and then at 4am when the club closed all the customers hung around the front of the hotel and the noise was horrendous (we live above a pub and have a high tolerance but this took the biscuit). The rooms were very stuffy as you couldnt have the windows open. Althogether a terrible experience not to be revisited.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are quieter when nightclub open but worse when it shuts!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family