““Boutiquish Hotel that Tries, but......””
Review of Trinity City Hotel

Trinity City Hotel
Ranked #50 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Sandy Springs, Georgia
““Boutiquish Hotel that Tries, but......””
Reviewed July 4, 2013

If you are vising Dublin there are many interesting areas, but a hotel location near Trinity University seems like the ideal spot and that is where we find the Trinity Capital Hotel. For me, this was a business and pleasure trip and I chose to be more centrally located rather than locate near the river. I rate this hotel is three stars for reasons that I will discuss below, but it could easily be a four star hotel with some minor, but meaningful tweaks.

The building itself is not much to look at on the outside and does not offer much in terms of views, but it does have nice, though somewhat bland breakfast buffet. Now to the nitty gritty:

Reception Area: The area is large and is decorated with a fine assortment of chairs that make you look like you are sitting on a throne. It is nice place to meet with friends, and has a nice bar area. We had little wait to check-in. The decorations seem a little hodge podge to me and is eclectic. The hallways are worse and need some redecorating. A hotel of this class should provide an area to print out boarding passes etc and they do. It’s a single desk across from the check in desk. They charge over 6 euros to do a single boarding pass. It’s ridiculous when you can stay at a much cheaper place and get free boarding passes. It seems they have a lot to learn on how to accommodate even the most basic needs (see below). However, the staff otherwise was very helpful and courteous with such things as restaurant recommendations.

Room: I was in a nice upgraded room. The room was clean and the bed was adequate, though not luxurious. The bathroom was more than sufficient. The lighting was poor in all rooms with a usable work area, but insufficient lighting. There are two outlets at the desk, but don’t forget an adapter if you are coming from the U.S. The bed itself was a nice size, but the pillows were somewhat uncomfortable. A hot water machine and safe are provided. The coffee they provide is instant, which is not unusual for the area. The room was very quiet. My biggest complaint with the room and the hotel overall is their internet, which is just not equipped to handle all of the quests and therefore did not work the three days we were there. When we first complained they said it was due to our Apple products. When we explained it did not work on the phones or other products and then we heard other people complain too, they finally admitted they were having problems, but no one seemed to really care or deal with the problem.

Location: The location is right in the heart of one of Dublin. There is plenty of transportation options and you can walk to Trinity University (see the Book of Kells), the Guinness Storehouse, the river and many other areas. It is a longer walk to the park, but the park is definitely worth a visit if you have time as it’s the largest park in Europe. You will find plenty of shopping, restaurants and bars as well as easy walking distance to the train. It is near a fire station and police station, but it never awakened us.

My overall experience here was good, but I would hope there might be better options, but this is a safe choice, and I would, somewhat reluctantly, recommend this hotel to my friends. I am adding additional checklist information for those that are interested:

Check in
My reservation record was accurate.
The check-in process was timely and efficient.
The check-in staff was courteous.

Guest Room
My room was clean and comfortable.
My room was furnished appropriately.
My bed and bedding was comfortable, but not luxurious.

Guest Staff
The guest staff was prompt, reliable, and friendly, with some exceptions.
The guest staff was knowledgeable and fully answered my questions about the area.
Security was available if needed.
Housekeeping staff was friendly and reliable.
Management was unable to solve problems.

Food and Dining
The food and dining staff was courteous.
The food quality was good (we only had breakfast at the hotel).
I did not use room service.

Amenities
Hotel amenities were weak and cost the hotel a star in my review.

Check out
The check-out process was timely and efficient.
I received a complete and accurate bill.

Room Tip: There is a fire department nearby. Ask for a room away from the station.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stacey S
Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I am sorry that you did not fully enjoy your time with us. I will certaintly look into the areas you have highlighted.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Trinity Capital Hotel again in the near future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
wigan
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Spent just one night in this hotel, which we were very impressed with. Very clean, modern and an excellent buffet breakfast. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Near enough to the centre yet far enough away from the crowds.

Room Tip: Very noisy at the front of the hotel. Maybe ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank croft53
Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

UK
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The hotel is very lovely to look at, great decor. However, for those wanting conveniences and a decent night's sleep, you might want to look elsewhere. I visited Dublin for two weeks in the summer for work, and stayed at this hotel the whole time. My first night was terrible - the room was very hot, but if I opened the window the night was pierced by alarms and sirens from the fire station next door. I requested a change of room, and was put in the courtyard section. I assume the front desk staff wanted to punish me for requesting a change, because this room overlooked a construction site, which meant 5am wake up calls. In addition, the wifi reception in the room was dreadful - probably because its so remote - and the toilet wouldn't flush properly. Trying to get these problems attended to was an exercise in futility; the front desk staff clearly regards guests as a major inconvenience and have little interest in helping out. Overall, I can't recommend this place. Although it's gorgeously decorated and the. Breakfast is great, the overall experience has been one of incessant sleep deprivation and frustration. I'm sure you can do better!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Oregon
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had a pleasant stay at Trinity capital. It's location is great,close to all tourist action.
Staff was very helpful. Our electric fuse in the room blew out at 1 am due to my extension cord,they fixed it with rather a cheerful demeanor and also offered me another room In case they could not fix it. Room size is very decent,bathroom clean. Only compliant is there is no air condition and noisy at night and early morning.
I got a great price and value,overall.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Have stayed at the trinity Capital Hotel twice now and both times have been really good.

Check in was no problem, they were expecting us and simply gave them my name, credit card should we of used the mini bar and we were given a brief layout of the hotel and directions to the room.

the room was spacious with a good sized double bed and very modern bathroom. The view was a bit disappointing but we weren't planning on standing at the window much. the room was cleaned daily and was spotless when we arrived.

There is a court yard within the centree of the hotel and we were lucky enough to get a really hot day. Very relaxing with the querky statues!! Table service and the staff were friendly. They could do with investing in some new chairs, they were comfy but well used.

Prices at the bar like the rest of Dublin were expensive compared to the U.K but hey, we were on holiday.

Overall a good hotel, perfect location for all areas of Dublin be it by bus, tram or walking. Would recommend to a friend.

There is a fire station next door!!! I didn't here any fire engines or ambulances during my stay but then the Guinness may of helped me sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Round every corner there is a Feast For The Eyes. As most hotels all kind of look the same, this was a breath of fresh air.The design, lighting and color scheme create a magical feel to the hotel!
The Georgian Suite was exquisite and huge.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Belgium
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed in the Trinity Capital Hotel for one night recently. The hotel is visually impressive, the decor is welcoming and it feels like you are transported to a different genre. The hotel receptionists do a fantastic job and were always very easy to approach and very responsive to our needs. One thing that I did notice was that during the breakfast rush (and it seemed to be always quite busy at breakfast) it appeared that the breakfast supervisors were under extreme pressure to seat people and run back over to the entrance to the breakfast seating area to seat the next group of guests. This is no reflection on their performance as they were extremely helpful and friendly but just an observation that the distance from the welcome stand to the breakfast area may add a little bit of pressure.
One other observation, is that tables are not regularly cleared in the lobbydining/bar area even if there is numerous staff around. But this would not deter me from staying here. I have stayed here twice before and I will be returning again in september. congratulations on a fab hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MAKH77, Manager at Trinity City Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again to Trinity Capital Hotel in the near future.