“Delightful stay”
Review of Trinity City Hotel

Trinity City Hotel
Ranked #47 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had enjoyed myself so much last year, my partner took me to Trinity Capital for a birthday treat again this year. We both love the eccentric, beautiful, decor there, and although I live only a few minutes drive away, it feels like a real break. This time, he had purchased a special offer (from the hotel directly, not a 'deals' item)- 1 night's B&B for two, with late check-out, executive upgrade, and dinner, so we got to try out Cafe Cairo, the on-site restaurant.
Trinity Capital must really hire carefully, because every one of their service staff is helpful, friendly, and appropriately 'chatty' (by this, I mean they will exchange a bit of banter, then go away at the right time). The room was comfortable and quiet (we are both smokers, so the smoking rooms are where we choose to be, and these face an inner courtyard). I was a little hungry upon arrival, so we opted to get a snack via room service in advance of dinner. Very promptly delivered.
Dinner was really good- I had a goat's cheese souffle starter. Lovely presentation- in a slightly sweet rolled biscuit tower, with roasted beetroot garnish, and tasty, if not mind-blowing. We both had a slow-roasted pork chop with maple-pear glaze. This was served with a tasty, crispy bit of crackling. Deliciously cooked, sauce was perfect, and one portion honestly was enough for two people, though we both tried to eat it all, it was that good. He had a nice apple-blackberry crumble dessert. The meal was to come with a glass of wine each, and, although I was willing to pay for the Chardonnay I preffered over the Sauvignon Blanc included, our server checked with the manager on her own initiative and he chose to substitute instead of charge.
I will review the restaurant separately here as well.
We have breakfast in-room whenever possible, which was very good and items are listed individually on the menu (e.g. sausage, egg, fruit salad, bacon etc) I like the option to choose exactly what I want on my plate. The 2pm late checkout is very civilised!
We spent a lazy afternoon after we checked out in the cafe, having lunch and coffee and playing chess. My sliced steak salad with fried smoked cheddar was unusual and excellent. Even my partner's ham and cheese sandwich was above average :-). We were there for 4 hours and there was no sense of rush, plus service stayed attentive.

The only reason Trinity Capital isn't rated 'excellent' for this trip are minor, but to be an honest reviewer, I must include them-
The heat went off at about midnight, which was fine, the room was still warm and comfortable, but my partner had elected to have a pre-bed bath, and the hot water wasn't so hot once the heat went off. My own bath earlier in the evening was heavenly and as hot as I wanted, and the tub was a nice size.

The bedside light fixtures are a kind of 1920's look, extensor design, very cool, however, the one on my side couldn't be extended, as it needed tightening and would sort of 'flop' then.

I'm not sure if we misunderstood 'executive upgrade', but we had to pay a little extra (eu15) to get a king room with smoking allowed, as the only other option was a twin in that section. The special offer price was so good that we didn't mind this- 49.95 each for the room, B&B, dinner etc. A room there alone will often run way above that, depending on timing. (I am aware some of the executive rooms have jacuzzi's and sitting areas- I imagine that was the upgrade. Could be a reason to quit smoking ;-)

These really are minor issues, and things like the light fixture aren't noticed by cleaning staff etc unless pointed out, so I will alert management and I expect it will be seen to, because it's not the kind of place to run down.

We will return to Trinity Capital... I'm already looking forward to it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
MAKH77, Manager at Trinity City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was happy to read that you had a delightful stay. May I thank you for pointing out the areas which require attention and I can assure you that we have looked into these already. I would also like to thank your for your email earlier in the week detailing your stay with us, I have passed this on to the relevant departments.

I look forward to having the opportuity to welcome you and your partner back to Trinity Capital Hotel in the near future, please contact me at bkennedy@trinitycapital-hotel.com to assist you with your booking.

Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,577)

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Feb 13th to 15th 2013..After a lot of searching for the perfect hotel for our first trip to Dublin,i rang the Trinity Capital Hotel & spoke to Anne Marie,i explained that it was our first trip to Dublin & it was my partners birthday,she was a fantastic help & really made me feel welcome,just with that phone call.
We arrived on the 13th Feb a little early than check in time but we were told our room was ready,which was great,we checked in with Anne Marie who was just as fantastic & helpful as when i`d spoke with her on the phone..as we walked through the hotel to our room we were amazed at how the hotel looked,how much thought had gone into the decoration (i dont like dull drab hotels).
We stayed in the Tara rooms.Our room was just as impressive as we thought,we loved it.
All the staff were so helpful & pleasant,we asked for directions to good pubs,restaurants & shopping,all were given with a smile & "you`ve got to go here" "you`ll love it there"..The breakfasts at the hotel were excellent,with a great choice to eat & drink.
We discovered so much & loved our such short stay in this hotel & in Dublin even if the Guinness & Bud were 6 euros a pint! it was well worth it.

I arrived at the hotel with my beautiful partner & left with my beautiful fiancée.

Thank you all so much for making us welcome,we WILL be back soon (once we`ve saved enough euros for a beer heh heh)

Mike & Helen.

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. Many congratulations to you and your new fiancee on your engagement. We are delighted that you chose our hotel as a venue for this big step!

I will pass on your kind words to Ann Marie, her friendliness is regulary complimented by our guests, we are very fortunate to have her on our team.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you and Helen back to Trinity Capital Hotel again very soon.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

After much internet research, I chose the Trinity for a small group of rugby enthusiasts over the Ireland v England weekend in February. From my first dealings with Dee Whelan, who could not have been more helpful or efficient, I was delighted with my selection. The decor is quite eccentric and immediately makes one smile (i specially love those huge chairs!), the staff all very helpful - and the hotel's very central position makes it ideally placed with pretty well everywhere in easy walking distance. My only gripe is that some of the lighting is really TOO dim and on the first night in our v comfortable Georgian Suite the central heating pipes had a couple of sessions hammering so loud we thought a construction team had arrived in our room! However this didn't happen the second. Night so hopefully it was just a one off. All in all, we had an excellent visit and will certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was glad to hear that you and your group had an enjoyable weekend and I hope you also enjoyed the rugby!
I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Dee, she is indeed an excellent member of our team.

Hopefully we will have the oppotunity to welcome you and your group back to Trinity Capital Hotel for Six Nations 2015!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed at The Trinity Capital Hotel mid February for a weekend get away. On arrival we were very impressed, the hotel makes a brilliant first impression. Upon arrival we were greeted by the receptionist who was very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the second floor and was a reasonable size with a large window and large bed (incredibly comfortable!). The room was absolutely spotless which is very important to us so we were pleased.

During our stay we visited the hotel bar a number of times and the staff were always polite and friendly, serving good quality drinks which were only a fraction more expensive then in the town (about 5 Euro). We did not eat in the hotel restaurant but the food sounded lovely. We ate at a local restaurant (Gallaher & Co Bistro) which was superb and would highly recommend.

The hotel is located five minutes from Temple Bar so no need for taxi's to find some where to drink or eat. We even walked to the Guinness Storehouse which took about half an hour.

The only downside to the hotel was its very noisy next door neighbour...the Fire station. We were woken each morning by the testing of fire engine sirens and horns which was quite disturbing! I'm sure this would not be a problem if you were up before 8, but as we were enjoying our holiday we slept in past this to be rudely awoken.

Overall a brilliant hotel and would recommend!

Room Tip: A room on the far side of the fire station.

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable weekend whilst visiting dublin and glad that we at Trinity Capital Hotel played a part in this.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Dublin and Trinity Capital Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed at the Trinity Hotel for one night on business. The hotel rate was a good value, the staff was friendly and helpful and the location was quite central. The room was small and a bit outdated, but adequate foe one night. Free wifi was great. The two meals I had (breakfast and lunch) at Cafe Cairo were very food.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was glad to read that you found our property to be good value for your business trip and our staff to be friendly. If you were returning for a longer stay I would recommend requesting a larger bedroom of which we have a plentiful supply.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Trinity Capital Hotal again in the near future.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here fore 2 nights in February. Booked the oval king with jacuzzi. Was really looking forward to our stay there. Room was a bit dingy looking and seedy almost. There were hairs in the bath on arrival and the grout between the tiles wasn't clean, meaning the bathroom looked a bit run down. Overall its a great location and staff are good and friendly. But if you're looking for a high quality hotel that's clean and crisp then here may not be for you. The reception area is amazing looking and impresses on first glances but when we got to the room we were left disappointed with the hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 414. Wasn't great.

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. I was pleased to read that you found our staff to be good and friendly. Thank you for your feedback on the cleanliness of your bedroom. We discussed your review at our weekly management team meeting and as a result our Accommodation Manager is currently auditing all bedrooms throughout the hotel.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Dubln and Trinity Capital Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

(July 2011) This hotel had a great location. We could walk anywhere downtown we wanted! The room was clean... it was our first time to Europe so the style of the bathroom was not what we were used to but it was still great.

The Cairo had a great, hot continental breakfast and I will always miss having a hot cup of tea with a scone each morning with my husband.

Staff was friendly. Overall, great experience!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
MAKH77, Manager at Trinity City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your recent review of Trinity Capital Hotel. We were pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and hope that you choose to return in the future.