“Fantastic!”
Review of Trinity City Hotel

Trinity City Hotel
Ranked #50 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Trinity Capital Hotel for two nights at the beginning of a week-long tour of Ireland last week. We arrived at 10am as we had an early flight, and had planned on dropping off our luggage until we could check in later. We were very happy and amazed to find that we could check in at 10am, 4 hours earlier than the usual check in time! Also we were upgraded to a larger room in the Tara section of the hotel with two sky lights, just lovely! The hotel itself is large but comfortable, with interesting furnishings that make you enjoy your stay even more.

We were able to walk easily from the hotel to Grafton street to do some shopping and hop on a bus tour, to Temple Bar for the wax museum, and to O'Connell street for more shopping and a movie. This hotel has the perfect location! It takes less than 10 minutes to walk to the centre of downtown! The bed was very comfortable and large and we slept like babies. The bathroom was also very large with lots of counter space. We did have one minor issue during our first morning, the shower didn't drain properly, but it was fixed as soon as I reported it to the staff and was more of a minor annoyance than anything else.

We ate supper at the hotel restaurant our first night, and unfortunately the main dining area was closed for a wedding reception. However, the restaurant and bar area of the hotel are huge and span around the courtyard, so we were able to order from the same menu and still had a nice place to sit and eat. It was busy but there were still tables available, which was nice. Overall the food was good, although I found the fish & chips to be a bit on the bland side. We returned again the second night for dessert and night cap, and again the restaurant was busy with a reception. We waited a long time for our desserts, however we were doing trip planning so we didn't mind, and in the end we were given our food and drinks for free! We thought that was a nice gesture. Although the staff were busy, they were very apologetic and friendly. I would suggest that management of the restaurant look into getting more staff during events, because clearly this is a popular spot and their staff get overwhelmed because of it.

The buffet breakfast was also good with a lot of selection of Irish food and healthier food. Probably the best we had during our trip, if memory serves me correct.

Overall we had a very pleasant stay at this hotel and found it to be one of the best we have stayed in to date (including some much more expensive hotels in other places). The price was perfect for our budget and the location can't be beat. We were also very appreciative of the early check in and upgrade. When I return to Dublin, I will be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CanadianInItalia
MAKH77, Manager at Trinity City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you for your review of the Trinity Capital Hotel.

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, we try to accommodate early arrivals when they arrive if there are rooms available. I will pass on your comments on the restaurant, good and not so good, to the restaurant manager.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I'm from Dublin, but haven't lived there in over 10 years. Any time I go home and need a city centre hotel, I always stay at the Trinity Capital. The décor is unique, the rooms are comfortable, the staff are efficient and friendly - but best of all is the location. It is a perfect base for exploring the city, and similar hotels just a couple of hundred metres away would cost a lot more.
It is just across the street from Trinity College, and the famous tourist hotspot of Temple Bar is less than 5 minutes away by foot. It is in a relatively safe area of the city, but as with any major city, you need to be careful when out walking, particularly at night. There is a fire station next door, and a police station just a few metres away, so it is quite safe! When you exit the hotel, turn right and you will be in the heart of the city in just a couple of minutes. Turn left, and you will end up in a less attractive part of the city, with not much to see! The hotel bar is nice and serves a decent pint of Guinness too - perfect after a long day out exploring the city! Would definitely recommend this hotel, and will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the Trinity Capital Hotel.

I'm delighted to read that you have enjoyed staying with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Good hotel, across the street is Trinity College (home to the Book of Kells), within walking distance to the Temple Bar area and great restaurants. The breakfast was included and was very good. Easy to grab a bus for all the sightseeing in Dublin.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the Trinity Capital Hotel.

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Just returned home from 3 wonderful days in Dublin and couldn't have chosen a better hotel than this. As other reviewers say, the location is perfect. Every member of staff was friendly and helpful. I was upgraded to a kingsize courtyard room which was large, great bathroom (very important to a girl!) and enormous bed! No problems at all sleeping - not noisy even with the window open on a hot summer night. The room was always clean, plenty of towels and coffee supplies and toiletries always topped up. The meals I had here were excellent and well priced for Dublin. The bar was a great place to relax in the evening. I loved the quirky decor throughout the public areas. It was a short stroll to Trinity College and Grafton St, well placed for any bus tours or getting to and from the airport by the Aircoach. Much cheaper than a taxi and excellent service. I wish I could have stayed a few days more as the weather was fabulous, but when I do come back to Dublin, I won't bother looking at any other hotels. I will stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
MAKH77, Manager at Trinity City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of the Trinity Capital Hotel.

I'm delighted to read your comments about our hotel and our staff.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to Dublin and the Trinity Capital Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Very unusual hotel with lots of interesting public rooms . As for the decoration , what can you say? The staff were very friendly and obliging . Rooms were large ,clean and very well equiped with lots of extras. On the down side our room was like a sauna and significantly there was a chap in front of me at reception also asking for a fan . I suggest asking for a room with air conditioning or at least one in a cooler part of the building. Back to the positives,a brilliant location minutes walk to all main attractions and close to the airport bus stop.

Room Tip: Ask for a cool room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scocha

Thank you for your recent review of the Trinity Capital Hotel.

I'm happy to read that you enjoyed the rooms and our staff. We have fans available at reception for guests who find that rooms are too warm. Our Executive rooms and Suites have air-conditioning.

We hope to welcome you back to the Trinity Capital Hotel soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Trinity Capital in Georgian Suite #2 July 17 - July 26th. I loved the decor -- it reminded me of The W meets Alice in Wonderland (at about half the price of The W.) ***Go to their FB page and get a discount code***

We chose The Georgian Suite (#2) since we were staying for 9 nights and wanted a place to call home base. I have traveled to Ireland before and am aware that most hotel rooms are small. The Georgian Suite was huge. I would estimate it around 350 -400 square feet.

Things I Loved:
--Decor - especially the lighting, wall colors, artwork, mirrors and quirky touches
--Windows - It was nice to have 2 windows on opposite sides of the room. Especially during humid summer days. The view from both was very fun (people watching on Pearse, crazy ceramic animals on the roof through the other)
--The desk (which I used as a makeup area)
--The bathroom, especially the giant tub and the sheer size of the room. I love the high frosted windows, the long table to set toiletries. (Stop by LUSH on Grafton, get a nice Bubble Bar for a nice relaxing fragrant bubbly bath!)
--The bed was extremely comfortable.
-- I liked the walk through the hotel to our room, through a door in the breakfast room, up 2 short flights of stairs)
--All public areas of the hotel were fun and captivating
--Location is great. Looking at a map we thought we were in for alot of walking. But, Dublin is smaller than it seems on a map.

Things I Didn't Love So Much (pretty minor given how much I love this hotel)
--The tub took awhile to fill as the water pressure was not so great. (my husband who takes showers had no complaints)
--Water leaking on the floor towards the sink while showering (made for some worry due to slippery nature of the tile)
--The crushed velvet chairs, while cute - not very comfortable
-- 2 Televisions, both were small. Limited to about 10 channels, one that was frozen on The Golden Girls (I love watching foreign TV)
--No dresser. Everything had to be hung or remain in our suitcases. (plenty of room)
--No washcloths (had to ask at front desk....when linen was replaced, still no washcloths)
--All window locks were broken (the area seems very safe, but still concerning)
--Noise/Lights from Fire Trucks may bother some (didn't concern us - just another fun quirk!)
--Georgian Suite 2 must be located next to housekeeping, as a few times, there weresmall bags of trash close to our door.

Wow, even with that 2nd list, .can I come back next week? I miss it! ;)
I recommend Trinity Capital Hotel to anyone looking for a hotel in Dublin.

Room Tip: If you get a room facing Pearse - there will be firetrucks and people on the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gruffydd
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The Trinity Capital Hotel is located along side of Trinity College. It takes about 5 minutes to walk from the hotel to front entrance of Trinity College. I estimate that it's approximately 10-15 minutes from the Temple Bar area.

The decor of the hotel is a little "out there" but it makes it interesting. Just inside the front door are chairs that made me think of Alice in Wonderland.

My daughter and I found the front desk staff to be very helpful, especially Olga! A breakfast buffet was included. There were hot items, pastries, fruit, cereals, etc.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Katie K

Thank you for your recent review of the Trinity Capital Hotel.

I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I'll make sure Olga knows she was mentioned especially.