“Now I know what the 'Four Seasons Service' is!”

InterContinental Dublin
Ranked #18 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Before our trip to the Four Seasons Dublin, I have read many reviews on the property which highlight how brilliant and special the FS service is; and indeed, how this service has become associated with every property in the FS brand. As this was my first time to stay in a Four Seasons hotel, I was eager to find out what made the brand stand out, and also why the 'Four Seasons' name is now synonymous with luxury and service and has such a revered reputation. Well I must say, after 2 nights at the FS Dublin, now I know!
We arrived and the car doors were opened for us, luggage whisked away, and car valet parked. Check in was a breeze- lovely receptionist and she informed us that we had been upgraded to a deluxe room (Had old them previously that it was for a birthday) and our room would be ready in half an hour. We were graciously showed to the lobby lounge and we were offered a free tea or coffee with a lovely chocolate biscuit. When we went to our room a personal happy birthday note was waiting and a plate of goodies! The room itself was lovely, spotless and spacious- the bathroom is the crowning jewel- absolutely gleaming with marble and complete with lovely toiletries. The beds were really comfortable and antique furniture was pristine.
The public areas are fabulous and have a sense that they are well maintained. The carpet everywhere still has that 'just new springyness' underfoot- a small point maybe, but after 9 years since opening this is a great achievement!
All these little details, however, are what Four Seasons excel in. We even spotted a man sanding and painting 2 bedroom doors opposite ours which I can safely say did not really need to be. And nowhere are these little details more prevalent than in the beautiful spa. I always think that an accurate measure of luxury in these areas can be obtained by seeing how abundant every amenity is. In every locker in the lavish and pristine carpeted changing rooms is a fresh robe, slippers, towel and laundry bag. You just know no locker has been left out. Around the corner the are rows and rows of more towels, robes and slippers. Pure luxury. Also what I find most rare in these spa areas, there are people regularly coming in and making sure everything is still pristines for every guest's visit. Outside the steam room and sauna are a plate of iced towels- never experienced these before- just ice normally. If you ask for more at reception, within 5 minutes someone is in replenishing them. Attention to detail from the staff is absolute and just amazing. Four Seasons staff are to be applauded.
The pool area and whirlpool were beautiful, looking out onto a outdoor courtyard and in this area there are yet more towels! The actual spa facilities like pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna may not differ from other hotels but it is the way in which they are displayed to the guest and the experience they create that makes the spa so relaxing and decadent.
The staff also get to know you throughout your stay, and they recognise you and take an interest in how your stay has been. If they find out your name, such as on your credit card, they use it. When we walked into the lobby lounge again, one staff member always said 'Welcome back.' Moreover, you really get an overall feel that every staff member genuinely cares about you and your stay, which is extremely rare.
The public areas also have a great atmosphere and the food is amazing -try the prawn cocktail! I also had the pleasure of eating the best dessert I have ever tasted in the cafe on the first night- it would be heaven for chocaholics! (Hot chocolate molten dessert!) Also, the hot chocolate was an experience in itself! 4.75 euros for flavoured hot chocolate with truffles and vanilla cream and marshmallows with enough for 3 medium sized cups is good value if you ask me!
You want to know the best bit? I got a room only rate for 3 people for 2 nights for 240 pounds sterling on expedia. 40 pounds per person per night in a place such as this is such a steal!!
Overall, I'm sure you can tell I enjoyed my stay and the location a little out of Dublin was no problem- the drive into city centre was actually quite nice! I would encourage anyone coming to Dublin to give this a try. I have truly found out what Four Seasons is really all about!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ferrariman01
icdublin, Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor after your stay with us.

Reviewed June 25, 2010

We went for our annually trip to Dublin and once again stayed in the Four Seasons and once again we knew the minute we arrived why we chose to stay here again.
We handed the car keys over to the concierge and we didnt have to worry about our luggage and parking the car.
The front desk stay was very friendly and after checking in we were shown to our room. To our surprise we had been upgraded to a Junior Suite which was brilliant.
Large living room and bedroom and an even bigger bathroom with bathtub and shower.
Our rate inclueded breakfast and I can say for sure its the best I've had so far. All you can think of for breakfast and the quality of the food is just mind blowing. No surprise it took us nearly 2 hours to have breakfast!
Our stay also included lunch and at check in we were told the lunch voucher was 85 Euro. On checking out we were then suddenly told the voucher was only 85 Dollars. We told the front desk staff that we specifically had asked what currency the voucher was in and they took off the extra charge from our bill after being prompted.
The Spa and Wellness Section of the hotel is fantastic, swimming pool and jaccuzzi area are very clean and the staff looks after you. The special extra touches in the changing room make the expierence just that little bit more special.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sligodreamer

Reviewed June 9, 2010

I first visited this hotel some 5 years ago. During the intervening period I had stayed in other hotels principally because of their location closer to the centre of Dublin. On this occasion I decided to retry the Four Seasons and was not disappointed. The Four Seasons remains resolutely 5 star. The room was comfortable, the lounge area relaxing and themed with different types of purple plants, the spa and pool were not too busy, but the best part of the hotel remains the excellent, welcoming front of house staff. Just one example: when we were leaving the hotel on a shopping trip, the concierge laid on a free hotel limousine. It is that kind of touch, without him being asked, which distinguishes a proper 5 star experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nistock

Reviewed June 6, 2010

I had been conflicted as to where to stay when I read about the commutation needed to travel downtown for sightseeing but selected this hotel based on the glowing reviews. I was not disappointed on any count. In fact, when we were downtown, we were glad to leave the busy streets for the quiet of the suburbs.

The car was available to drop us off two of our three day stay. The concierges helped with restaurant recommendations and were most efficient coordinating messages amongst themselves when working on a task for us. They are the best we've encountered in our travels.

Room service, something we ordinarily do not do, was so graciously served that we availed ourselves twice.

Everything was immaculate- from the fabric placed on the floor alongside the bed so that one's feet need not touch the carpet- to the elegantly designed robes left in the room.

We had not one complaint and would stay there again.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hopegoodeNyc
icdublin, General Manager at InterContinental Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2016

Dear hopegoodeNyc,
Thank you for choosing us as your destination for your stay in Dublin. Thank you also for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to see that on a whole you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 1, 2010

My husband got a sharp price on Expedia: 141.15 euros/night with the 3rd night free! Our stay here was a welcome treat after some lackluster nights in B&Bs in small Irish towns. We used the gym twice, which had well-maintained equipment that provided an excellent work-out. WiFi in the rooms is extra, so we just used the 3 free computers in the business center. In 1 month of travelling throughout England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland, staying in B&Bs and hotels/motels, I have to belly-ache that the Four Seasons was the ONLY accomodation that didn't provide an electric pot in the room for coffee/tea service. This really peeved me to have tea bags that I couldn't use. We did pay the 6.50 euro coffee price/cup in the lobby one morning - after that we walked the 8 minutes to Insomnia. Great, well-trained staff helped make this a memorable stay.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AtlantaJune

Dear AtlantaJune,

Reviewed May 21, 2010

I have stayed here on a number of occasions and love every visit. The staff are very courtious and helpfull.

The rooms are spacious and sparkle clean. It has everything you want.

The breakfast is very tasty and its elegance at its best.

I will be back

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family

Dear Travelbuddy09,

Reviewed April 17, 2010

Four Seasons is a lovely, classy hotel in an upscale residential neighborhood a bit too far to walk to the downtown tourist sites. Our room for three was large and well furnished, but didn't have much of a view. The distance from City Centre requires a taxi or bus ride or driving your own car and parking downtown; the hotel does have a free town car which was great one day but wasn't operating the next. The concierge gave great restaurant recommendations (although there isn't much to eat or to do in the immediate neighborhood). The business center had great free computers, and the spa and fitness center looked good (although we didn't use them). No coffee maker in the room, and the free coffee service in the lobby was only available for a few minutes in the morning, so we got soaked 25 Euros to have 3 coffees brought to our room from the bar.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple