“Expect little and be Surprised”

Uppercross House Hotel
Ranked #78 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Thurles, Ireland
“Expect little and be Surprised”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We arrived early at check in and just asked to deposit our bag. The surly receptionist said that she would book us in immediately when she decided on a room. We deposited our bag and went out of town and had lunch in Dundrum. We returned that evening and had a meal. This tasted fairly good but too much for people who were not hungry. We were served by a lovely helpful waitress. Met the wife of the owner, a very friendly conversable lady.
The bar has a good number of staff but none appear to give the impression of professionalism although they cope adequately. I would be more impressed with bar and waiting staff dressed in white shirts not black polo shirts.
The breakfast was a joy to behold. Great fried eggs served by a smiling waitress. I have had fried eggs in 5 star establishments but none was ever better or so little time delayed between hot plate and table. Great. Oh! the bacon was also lovely.
A nice hotel very clean in a decent location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lcoman
Uppercross, General Manager at Uppercross House Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear lcoman

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at the Uppercross Hotel. People often arrive to the hotel prior to the checkin time of 2pm and we always do our best to get the checked in as soon as a suitable room s hould become available.

Our award winning bar & restaurant Mother Reilly's has a very exstensive menu including finger food and a selection of starters and salads which, if you were not hungry, might have been a better choice for your meal.

We like to promote a very casual and relaxed feeling in the bar, somewhere people feel comfortable to spend an evening. For this reason we dress our staff in personalised polo shirts. We pride ourselves in the friendliness of our staff which our regualr guests compliment us on. Please do not misconceive their relaxed nature for unprofessionalism as I assure you this is not the case.

We provide a buffet and full Irish breakfast to our hotel guests. I am delighted that you were so satisfied with the food and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind regards

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Czech first
Southwold, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The staff were all very helpful and the room had all the necessary equipment and the bed was clean and comfortable. Food in the restaurant was very tasty and the portions were very large.
Couple of points that could do with improving - TV picture was so poor it looked like it was snowing and the corridors smelt of smoke.

Room Tip: Don't have a room near the kitchen fan as it is noisy and the smell from it means you cannot ope...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue M
Waterford
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the Uppercross hotel for a no of nights on a business trip. The hotel is very quirky to say the least, but pleasant in its own right. The rooms are basic and some are very small. The tv channels didn't work properly and signal was very poor leaving you with bad picture. The shower had a mind of its own alternating from warm to cold but not too much that ud scream. The plus side was the food in the restaurant and at breakfast was very nice and all the staff are pleasant to deal with. The pub adjoining was great craic and had a good atmosphere. All in all I was expecting the ritz so I wasn't too fussed. Did the job for me. Would I go back. Possibly ....

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank deiselad07
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Clean, but could use some bleach in bathroom. Breakfast good. Appreciated wood floors. Yes it is noisy, but it is the City and I wouldn't expect quiet. Would recommend and return. Near several bus lines, restaurants and stores, and of course pubs. Restaurant pub was fun w open mike.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I don't usually write reviews for hotels, but after my stay at Uppercross House Hotel I knew that I absolutely had to. As a Canadian, cleanliness is important to me and I found my room to be immaculate as were the lobby and hallways. The staff were very professional all while making you feel at home- a total win win. The restaurant, lounge and beer garden were all buzzing with locals, allowing guests to soak up the Irish culture. With only a short walk from the city centre, the location was absolutely ideal. I would definitely come here again with friends or family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ClaudiaOneill
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I live in Canada and travel a lot in Europe. I'm just back from Italy and Ireland. There is one Hotel that stands out in my mind - it was my favourite of all the hotels I stayed at in Europe. It was the 'Uppercross House Hotel'. I found the staff incredibly friendly, the location was superb and I was right bang in the middle of the Dublin action, a stone's throw from the city centre. In fact I walked to the city centre and enjoyed my stroll past shops and restaurants. Apart from being made to feel at home, I also enjoyed the food. It was so good, especially those garlic stuffed mushrooms and that Chicken Kiev! There was a great choice, both for meat lovers and vegetarians. I was lonely leaving this lovely family-fun hotel, and look forward to my return visit!

Room Tip: I personally think location is key to enjoying your trip as well as value for money, and a warm, fri...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank PatriciaONeill2013
Sydney
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My daughter was invited to Ireland by a work colleague to stay with her family in Rathmines, when it was suggested I should go, I didn't want to impose on the family so I chose the Uppercross which was close by, my stay was for a total of 8 nights over a 29 day holiday in Ireland (from 4th to 29th July) and never once did I regretted my decision. It is not a 5 star hotel however the rooms were always clean, the staff friendly and very helpful, breakfast delicious and included in the the cost of the room and Mother Reilly's next door offered great pub food. Although it is not in the city centre (approx 20min walk to the top of Grafton street) the bus service is excellent, and there is a taxi rank across the road. With a Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, post office, cinema, Dunnes store, pharmacy, drycleaners, Swan Centre and several cafes, pubs and restaurants close by it was an ideal location.
I loved Ireland and everything about it, the people are friendly, helpful and very welcoming. The weather was brilliant, with sunshine and very warm conditions for most of our stay. The roads easy to navigate, drivers courteous and patient. The bus drivers always friendly and helpful, remember to signal if you want the bus to stop. We found all the shop assistants and wait staff extremely courteous, helpful and friendly and the food delicious and the coffee great.

Just a few tips, if you go shopping take plastic bags to put purchases in as all stores use paper bags and these don,t last long in a sudden downpour. Also if you see something you like buy it, clothing changes quickly and you might find you don't see it again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family