“clean, friendly, hot breakfast - whatelse do you need?!”

Uppercross House Hotel
Ranked #77 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Jacksonville, Florida
“clean, friendly, hot breakfast - whatelse do you need?!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

For the first time staying in a hotel in Europe I was very frightened about bathroom sharing and quality, but this hotel FAR surpasses places I've stayed in America! It's so close to many places to eat away from tourist traps, but the buses are VERY easy to use to get downtown in 10 minutes. Free hot breakfast cooked to order and a restaurant in the hotel. Front desk will help you as far to even draw a map to your destination!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank jmlucas33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Czech first
Antrim, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

Hotel was walking distance to town but bus stop was close by as were taxi's. Price included breakfast which was freshly cooked and excellent, also free parking. Staff were friendly and helpful. Good value for money. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Booked through internet.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Montreuil-sur-Mer, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the Uppercross House Hotel Rathmines. The staff are very welcoming and helpful.
Breakfast is very good. Fruit, Irish breakfast etc.
There are quiet rooms at the back. The only problem is the under floor heating. My room was far too hot and even though I turned off the heating, it too several hours for the temperature to go down. Admittedly the weather was warm. This is probably a good place to stay in cold weather.
My room was a good size and very clean. Other colleagues said that their rooms were small. The bathroom was clean though very small. There was a plentiful supply of white towels.
The restaurant is just about passable. The menu is not precise. Apple pie turned out to be a red fruit crumble with pastry base. There were similar differences for the main courses. The staff were very helpful.
Free wifi but a bit slow in some rooms.
This hotel has no lift so it may not be suitable for anyone with mobility problems.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Hypericum
Uppercross, General Manager at Uppercross House Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Uppercross Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and would also recommend us to other travellers.

Just one point that may not have been shown to you whilst you were checking in. On the newer wing of the hotel with the underfloor heating - there is a lift beside the main staircase which is in service for the 3 floors on that wing. I apologise if this was not pointed out to you. At the far end of the corridor (beside the carpark door) there is a second staircase which we built in case of an emergancy or fire whereby the lift would not be in use.

In the restaurant, we serve a "seasonal apple pie" which means it may vary depending on what produce is fresh in that season - hence the apple & berry pie served to you at that time. We also like to give our regular customers variety which is another reason we do not have a stagnant menu.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Uppercross Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards

Management
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

The location is quite good, close to food and pubs, and is far enough that you get quiet rest in the evenings. But the room cleanliness is quite disappointing. The cleaners never replace the bed sheets, until I feel ichy from the sheets and requested for a change the next morning. Overall, given the price, room size is ok, but not as clean as one would hope for. They do serve breakfast and dinner (dinner is not included), so, convenient if you are here to work and have little expectations on the accommodation.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank dtai010
Wexford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

We chose the hotel because it was 5 minutes walk from a weekend course we were attending, and because it offered free car parking - a breath of fresh air in Dublin. The folk on reception were not only friendly and cheerful but actually Irish (another rarity though I think they were the owners). The room was fine, a decent size and pleasantly quiet. Unusually for a hotel, during the two nights we stayed we were not disturbed by any noise either inside or out. There was no problem finding a space in the car park, even though the hotel was apparently full, and checkout on departure was quick and efficient.

Hotel breakfasts are rarely great for vegetarians so it was just as well we were happy with cereal, fruit, yoghurt and toast. Actually, these were very acceptable, though I think himself would have liked a couple of eggs had they been free-range. You daren't ask for mushrooms or tomatoes as a rule because they'll be cooked in the same fat as rashers and sausages.

My one complaint (and I nearly gave only 3 stars because of it) was the bed which, as has been said by other reviewers, needs replacing. I know we're in a recession but I do expect a hotel to have beds that are comfortable and where you don't wake your partner up every time you turn over because it sags and creaks. As a result we didn't sleep particularly well either night. The saving grace was that it didn't have those dreadful plastic matress covers that make you sweat.

It's probably worth adding that there is a deal on their website which offers 50% off the second night if you stay 2 days. Now it's not all that obvious - you really have to look carefully - and when I rang the hotel, the woman who took the call didn't seem familiar with the offer, which makes me wonder if many people pay more than they need to. Of course, I don't know that, so I'm only guessing.

But to the hotel's credit, on a weekend where there were various big events on in Dublin, unlike many of the other hotels (like the nearby Travelodge) they didn't hike their prices to cash in on this. Good for them! I usually stay at the Burlington but that weekend their prices were much too high. Next time, I'll certainly be considering the Uppercross House Hotel as well. But I'll ask if I can have a room with a decent bed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank mct1
Uppercross, Manager at Uppercross House Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Dear reviewer,

Many thanks for the review which you left on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at the Uppercross Hotel. My apologies for the delay in responding you to.
I was delighted to hear that your stay was mainly a positive experience.

It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with the quality of the bed in your room. I can assure you, recession or not - this is something we would have resolved, had we have known about it. With that in mind, I would appreciate knowing which room you stayed in so as I can insure the matress is replaced if it has not already been done. If you are not sure of the room number, you might give me your name so I can look it up.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Kind regards,

Ann Marie Brannigan
Hotel Manager
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

Had requested a non smoking room but was given one that smelt like an ash tray.Iwas moved to a non smoking room which was better but rooms grubby .I have stayed in cleaner hostels. Staff friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank johnnyg18
China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

We stayed in the Uppercross House & were very satisfied with the hotel. Good value 3 star hotel. The hotel layout is a bit all over the place but the room was clean, bathroom & shower etc. was great. The hotel is located on a main route into the city centre so there are loads of buses or taxis available. There are also some very lively bars and restaurants within a few minutes walk of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends