“Good choice for Dublin”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, D.C.
“Good choice for Dublin”
Reviewed September 9, 2007

The Davenport is a solid choice of hotel in Dublin. Like all hotels in the city, it is costly but on the more moderate end. For your money you get a clean room - large for European hotels. The bathroom was spotless and roomy as well. The location can't be beat - a short walk to Grafton Street and Trinity College as well as the Tourist Center. The staff was pleasant and accomodating. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cooley05, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Davenport Hotel again in the future

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We stayed at the Davenport for two nights and really enjoyed it. It is walking distance from Temple Bar and Grafton Street, yet far enough to be in a quiet neighborhood near Trinity College. There is a great pub across the street called The Gingerman. Stop in for a pint. Our room was large and well appointed and the bathroom was great. My only complaint was that the card reader in our door may have been defective. I had to keep going and getting new keys. I had read some other reviews before I booked that the hotel was a little worn, but I did not get that impression at all. Breakfast was really good. As for as Dublin prices go, I think the Davenport is a real bargain for a really nice hotel.

• Liked — Room and Location
  • Disliked — Offsite Parking
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1parrot

Longford, Ireland
Reviewed August 27, 2007

The Davenport is well located for anyone visiting Dublin but that aside, it is not as good as it thinks it is. The first impression of the hotel and indeed the friendly staff is all well and good. However, there are too many of the rooms that while well finished are dark and dreary because they have little or no natural light.

My most recent trip to the Davenport again supplied me with a lovely looking room with a window but the window has a view of a wall directly outside and brings little or no light into the room.

This and a couple of other issues led me to question if the Davenport is really as good as it thinks it is. The first issue is that while I booked a double room at €142 a night, when I checked out there was a further €17.75 'Service Charge Accommodation' on my bill. I have no idea what this charge was and I don't really care but why wasn't it quoted during my original booking. What is the point of booking a room at one price if what you really have to pay is a different price.

The second issue that bugged might have been a once off but it did nothing for my overall impression of the establishment. When I arrived I asked at the front desk as to whether hotel parking was available and I was happily told 'Yes' and directly to a secure garage about 200 metres from the hotel. Upon checking out the following morning, I was asked if I need my parking ticket validated which the staff member duely did. When I walked to the car park and tried to exit the barrier wouldn't raise as my ticket had a error and I needed 'to return to the paystation'. At this point I had to park my car again (to get out of the way of others trying to exit the car park) and look for assistance. I found an intercom button for O'Callaghan hotel and explain what happened. I was informed that a staff member would come to the car park in the next 10 minutes. When the staff member did turn up (within the 10 minutes), I explained that my ticket had been validated at the front desk at check out but that I still couldn't exit the car park. The porter explained that validating the ticket only meant that a reduced rate of €10 per day rather that the standard €24 per day needed to be paid. Brialliant!! Is this the way that all other guests find out about this also? Anyway, I paid my €10 and exited the garage a half hour behind schedule for getting to work and with the joys of Dublin traffic still to look forward to. Needless to say the next time I'm in Dublin, I'll look for an alternative to the O'Callaghan group hotels.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Car parking
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business

ireland
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I only stayed one night here but I thought it was great value and very nice indeed. The bath and shower were superb (lots of water pressure) and the room itself was old-fashioned, stylish (exactly what I like!) and spacious. There was a magnifying mirror in the bathroom too and loads of wardrobe space, which I didn't need as my stay was so short. I didn't eat here but the location is really handy for Trinity College and good pubs (in the Baggot Street area). There were black-out curtains and it was quiet. We had a great sleep here. The staff were friendly and I wished I could have stayed another night or two!

• Liked — the location and history
  • Disliked — no complaints!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank patandalison

Manchester
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Great Hotel and worth the online rate. Room was clean and very large. There were a few problems when booking in and also when I booked out but tis could be put down to the fact it was fully booked, they tried to charge me €90 too much, Lucky I have the paperwork from my reservation. other than that,i would stay again because you get a great sized room, most simular stared hotels at this price would give you a room half the size. (the King room is the same size as a Suit at the hotel across the road.)

• Liked — Size of Room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank The_Wildthing

Florida
Reviewed June 19, 2007

When we arrived it was before recommended check in but the room was ready and the staff was very accomidating. They arranged taxi and wake up for the early am and gave us some places to go for the afternoon for food.
The room was nice size, clean and comfortable and the breakfast buffet was perfect for a quick on the go morning. I would stay there again. The location was great and close to everything in the city.

• Liked — Location and comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank kjk77

Ottawa
Reviewed April 30, 2007

The hotel was well priced and in a nice location. The staff was professional and the room was clean. However, we were offered a fruit basket in our room as an online “deal.” It was not much of a deal and it was more like a “fruit plate.” Some of the fruit was inedible. If you stay here, you may want to pass on the fruit basket.

Stayed May 2006