“Excellent Service” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cork
“Excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

This hotel is ideally located on Merrion Square. It is within 5 mins walking distance to pubs, restaurants and shops. Last Saturday night we had a group booking for 8 persons and it changed to 9 last minute. The hotel was full and it was proving impossible to find alternative accommodation in Dublin. I asked (Hugh I think) at reception if they could do anything and without any fuss he arranged an extra bed from their sister hotel and put it in our room. He called me when I was out for dinner to tell me it was done so I could relax and enjoy my night. Great service, I will be returning on my next visit to Dublin.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark S
Andrei C, Front Office Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Dear Mark S,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your wonderful 5 star review! I am very pleased that you had a great stay and that you found our location and service to be excellent. A special mention will go to Hugh for his assistance.
We are delighted and looking forward to your return to the Davenport Hotel.

Andrei C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

The Hotel is located in the center of Dublin in walking distance from many of the city recommended attractions (including Temple Bar street...). The reception process was good and efficient. The staff is polite and willing to help. The room is big enough with a flat TV and coffee making options. The view from the room is not great but its a typical urban view so I guess it's expectable in a city hotel. The bed was comfortable with 2 pillows to chose from. The bathroom is big enough. WiFi was good and stable. Breakfast was poor. Limited variety and no vegetables. It opens at 07:00 so if you have an early start you can't have the breakfast in the hotel. The walls are thin so it can become noisy sometimes.

Room Tip: High floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear kushi1963,

Thank you for staying with us recently and also for taking the time to give us your Hotel review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the staff, rooms, and location to your liking.
As you mentioned, we are blessed with a central location that puts you within walking distance to many of Dublin's attractions, including Temple Bar area, Grafton street, Hop on Hop Off and many others. I am disappointed to hear you found breakfast to be poor. Your constructive criticism was passed on to the team to further discuss it. While the full Irish breakfast begins at 7am, we do understand some guests have early flights or early meetings and cannot wait until 7am for breakfast. As such with a short notice ahead, we are flexible in arranging some continental breakfast for guests before 7am.

Overall it sounds like you enjoyed your stay and the team and I look forward to welcome you back when next in Dublin.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel with some decent facilities. In the centre of town so close to the river and other amenities. I use this for work which is based 5 mins away in Merrion Square.

The rooms are large and the staff are very helpful. You get free wifi and the bar is nice too.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank anthonyformanzz
Andrei C, Front Office Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Anthonyformanzz,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Davenport Hotel and also for your kind review!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel again when next in Dublin.

With many thanks and kind regards,
Deer Park, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014

We toured Ireland for two weeks and stayed here the first two nights and the last night of our vacation. The rooms were great, beds very comfortable and the hotel itself had lots of character. Very centrally located; we could walk to Trinity College, Grafton Street, the Liffey and Temple Bar easily. The only problem we had was that each time we checked in, they could not find our reservation. This was very politely taken care off.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank digmac
Dear digmac,

Thank you for staying with us twice while touring Ireland and for writing your Hotel review which we greatly appreciate.
First of all, I hope you had a lovely trip to Ireland and that you will come back in the not so distant future. I am delighted that you had a great stay on each occasion, and that you enjoyed our rooms, character, and location. As you mentioned, the location is very central and puts you within walking distance to many of Dublin's tourist attractions and points of interest.
I do apologize that on both stays there was an issue in finding your reservation, but I am glad it was politely taken care of by the staff. If you have the time to email myself your confirmation number or the details of your booking at andrei.ciugulea@ocallaghanhotels.com so I can investigate why we couldn't find your reservation on both occasions and to ensure it won't happen again, I would very much appreciate it.

The team and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel in the near future.

ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

This hotel makes me shudder to think of tourists arriving to Ireland, staying here and thinking we are living in the 1960s. The room was ok, but the bed linen had a slightly damp feel to it. The breakfast though was dreadful. The white pudding was like rubber. The automatic toaster machine took 4 circuits before the cheap bread got a vague bit of colour. Far better and cheaper hotels to stay in Dublin. Only positive is location, centre of Dublin.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank corkboy2009
Dear corkboy2009,

Thank you for staying with us and also for taking the time to give us your constructive review which we greatly appreciate. As you can see from most reviews here, tourists staying with us greatly enjoy their stays and the warm Irish hospitality we strive to provide.

Unfortunately, I am very sorry to learn that the service which we endeavor to provide was found to be lacking on this occasion, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you and the matter as a whole. I wish to assure you that your points raised have been taken very seriously and they will not go unaddressed. I would appreciate it if you would contact myself directly at andrei.ciugulea@ocallaghanhotels.com with your confirmation number so I can investigate the issues raised more thoroughly.

Should you decide to return to us at any time, please do not hesitate to contact myself directly at the above email address and I will make the necessary arrangements for you to have an excellent stay!
I look forward to hearing from you then.

Again with many thanks and kind regards,
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

stayed here over the weekend hotel was lovely room was perfect the girl that i was dealing with on the phone was very pleasant and couldn't have done enough for me her name was sinead she made everything so easy would defiantly come back. elsa murphy

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
2 Thank elainem76
Dear elainem76,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and also for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and we are looking forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back here again when next in Dublin. Thank you also for mentioning our colleague Sinead, who was very thankful for your kind comments.

With many thanks and kind regards,
Thornhill, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

This is a church which has been converted into a hotel. We had book a junior suite however when we checked in they didn't have one ready so upgraded us to a full suite. Sweet! A beautiful room and within walking distance to most of the attractions downtown. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful and the room was very quiet. I blame their beds, which were so comfortable that after an overnight flight, notwithstanding a nap and going to bed early we totally slept in until checkout time! This was not a problem for them. They graciously told us to take our time and did not impose an additional fee, which we deserved. Rooms are not cheap in Ireland however having said that, this was not expensive for what you get.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank djreeve
Dear Djreeve,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a wonderful 5 star review!

I am delighted to read that you had a very very comfortable stay! Our location does indeed put you within walking distance to most of the attractions downtown, yet is quiet enough for a good night's sleep. I'm glad the quiet and the comfortable beds provided you with a great sleep.
Thank you also for your kind comments in regards to our staff, who are very thankful to receive them.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and we do hope we will see you back here again when next in Dublin.