“Excellent hotel 4star at least”

O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel
Ranked #59 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed here for a two night weekend and was upgraded to junior suites, the rooms were large and very clean. The beds were king size and one of the most comfortable we ave found. Te hotel staff were very polite and helpful.
The hotel is in a great location for the city tour buses and a 15 minute walk from the night life areas.
The only down side was the breakfast at 16euros it was expensive and average at best.
Overall a great hotel where we would stay again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cooley05, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Davenport Hotel again in the future

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,718)

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have to say we love this hotel and we have stayed there many times. Just park up the car for the weekend & walk with ease to all of the capitals best locations. Safe area with great pubs close by. Booked again for next month cant wait! Beds very comfortable, excellent choice of movies in room. Breakfast great a real gem in the middle of the capital.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our room was booked through a self-drive tour agency that my daughter and I took throughout Ireland and Scotland. I noticed that in the hotel's on-line information, they said there is free Wi-Fi if you book through their on-line site. As we booked through a tour group we asked them to check with the hotel to see if we could still get free Wi-Fi. They said they assumed it would be no problem. When checking in the young lady at reception seemed to have heard many complaints from customers about the Wi-Fi not being free (as it was in virtually every B&B we stayed in as well as most every shop/store/restaurant and pub we visited....even in the Highlands of Scotland). I was incredulous that in this day and age, a higher end hotel does not include it. Well, to make a long story somewhat shorter....the manager did agree to give us free Wi-Fi for our two day stay. I thought that was very kind of him. The hotel lobby was very nice and the elevators was quick. Our room was lovely and the bathroom was big and well laid out. The bed was comfortable and the air conditioner was very efficient. The location was very central and I would consider staying again, however, only when they come around to free Wi-Fi. The breakfast was mediocre but the dining room was lovely. All except for one young woman, the staff was very helpful and very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Davenport is in a great location (one block from Merrion Square - the corner with the Oscar Wilde statue) for sight seeing in Dublin. We could easily walk to everything we wanted to see in the city. The hotel has lots of old world charm but with comfortable new beds, fluffy duvets and a good shower. The front desk staff were very friendly and extremely helpful in providing directions and recommendations.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Cooley05, Operations Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear glashead,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Davenport Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we get to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We have just returned from a long weekend break in Dublin and found the city charming. The Davenport is a nice hotel to stay in while in the city, being quiet but close to a large proportion of the sights.

I think the title of my review says it all though.

The rooms were comfortable, of a pretty good size and made for a pleasant and private stay. That's where the positives end...not that there are major negatives, there aren't, just points for improvement.

The wifi is awful. 30 mins free each day - fair enough, but I wish I could have got access to it! My partner persisted and even then, was disappointed by the hurdles and speed.
The TV in the room shouldn't have been there if an appropriate service couldn't be provided. On several occasions the screen crackled and flickered, advised that "the sky box is due to enter standby" and even that the channel was "locked"...on all channels on my last morning. The volume was not consistent across the channels and lots were duplicated. Also, and I have no idea why it did this, it switched itself on in the middle of the night to reveal static...
The bathroom was pleasant, however I would expect water to drain quicker down the bath plug, a better quality of toilet paper and perhaps a nicer toilet seat!?!?
Housekeeping did a good job of keeping our room clean and tidy during our stay which was welcome after a day of exploring the city, but calling at 8.30am on a Saturday morning is a little extreme. I will hold my hands up, I didn't not put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door, but I had locked it, however this did not prevent the maid from unlocking the door with her key rather than the just using her door card! :-s

A pleasant stay, but not a 4* stay. Those small details are important and necessary to pay attention to!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cooley05, Operations Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear oodlesofdoodles,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to hear that overall you did enjoy your stay with us, but am naturally disappointed to hear some of your comments, most of which are very easily rectified. I have taken your constructive feedback on board and will be discussing this with the team here at the Davenport.

We do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel if you are looking for a safe, quite, and clean accommodation. I was traveling alone and wanted a nice clean and quite place to return to. The bed was super comfortable and having the en suite was just what this traveler wanted. This is located in an area of the city that feels more like a neighborhood. You are a 5 minute walk from Trinity college and the heart of Dublin's shopping district. Very close to several great pubs that allow you to enjoy a pint with the locals and not the tourist crowd. The staff was very accommodating. Even allowed to check in prior to the 2 o'clock check in time. Of course had my room not been available I could have left my bags at the desk. I can not recommend this place highly enough. I will be letting my friends know and formy next trip I already know where I will stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Cooley05, Operations Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Lori B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripdvisor.

I am delighted to read your fantastic comments about your stay. We will always offer rooms available before the 2pm check in time once we have them.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Charming hotel wih convenient location...minutes from Trinity College, National Gallery of Dublin and Kilkenny where many Irish made products are sold. I really thought the hotel staff were very helpful and courteous! I would stay here again!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Cooley05, Operations Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear kteacheflowers,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to hear that you had such a fantastic stay with us. We are very lucky to have such a great location and are in walking distance to all of the local attractions and shopping areas.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.