O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel
The Merrion Hotel(Dublin)
  • Pool
  • Pool
1,754 results
All reviewsmerrion squaretrinity collegeginger mannational gallerywithin walking distancetemple barhop on hopjunior suiteexcellent locationlovely hotelgrafton stroom was largecentral locationbreakfast was includedwould highly recommend this hotelvisiting dublindevonport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Davenport provided us with a very clean, comfortable base to discover Dublin. Room was a decent size with very comfortable bed and a good bathroom. Breakfast was excellent with many choices including fresh fruit salad, local breads and a good cheeseboard. Staff were friendly and helpful especially Kathi.

Room Tip: The only room available at booking was a twin room but reception staff changed that to a king size bed room which is what we had originally wanted.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Patricia M
davenportgm, General Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Patricia M

Thank you for the lovely review. I have drawn kathi’s attention to your mention or her and have thanked her for her excellent work in this regard. I hope that on your next trip to Dublin you will choose to stay with us here at the O’Callaghan Davenport Hotel again.

Kind regards

Martin Dagger

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the O'Callaghan Davenport. It is conveniently located within walking distance to Trinity College and the bus stops. The hotel itself is very nicely decorated. The rooms are spacious and clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The only drawback was that the dining room was understaffed and the wait was slow. Although my daughter really enjoyed her irish stew, my husband and I were unimpressed with our selections from the menu. No worries there because there are plenty of restaurant options within walking distance. We would definitely return to this hotel in the future and recommend it to friends and family.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary C
davenportgm, General Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Mary C

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review and for all the positives contained within. I hope that on your next trip to Dublin you will choose to stay with us here at the O’Callaghan Davenport Hotel again.

Kind regards

Martin Dagger

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Location is really good. Close to lots of museums and other attractions plus shopping and restaurants. I would say that's the main selling point. Hotel is a little worn but clean and neat. Room was big and had two good beds, flat screen tv, hospitality tray, big safe, lots of closet space. Bathroom was smallish with shower in the tub and old fixings. Felt a little outdated but made for a good night's sleep. Wifi costs 2.99 for an hour or 14.99 for 48 hours. Breakfast was fine with lots of choices and good bread and cakes. There was also black and white pudding, sausages, scrambled eggs and everything else you would expect from a full Irish breakfast. Good service in the restaurant. Reception staff could have been more smiling but was helpful enough. Stayed here on invitation so I don't really know the cost of the stay - judging solely on performance I would say we're on four small stars.

Room Tip: I had a fifth floor room facing a pub but didn't hear any noise at any point. Actually the room was very quiet with very little noise from neighbor rooms and hallway.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rueskov
Cooley05, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Davenport Hotel again in the future

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on the first night of a 10 day tour of Northern and Western Ireland. The room was spacious (a triple) and the beds were very comfortable (although the room was a little worn). The staff went above and beyond in helping us with all of our needs. I had trouble with my mobile and the staff helped me to contact my provider using their main line (preventing charges to my room). The staff answered all questions, provided additional advice, and always greeted us at entry to the hotel. Breakfast was fantastic and checkout quite easy. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Amy P

Reviewed October 19, 2012

First off, the place is overpriced. We stayed here a couple nights last month as part of a family trip with my brother and his wife. The room my wife and I got had an extra bed to accommodate our 9-year-old son, the only child travelling with us. We had to pay almost $60 extra per night for our boy. That came to $300 per night for us, compared to $240 for my brother and his wife, who did get an adequate room on an upper floor, though he was no happier with the service. We stayed in three other hotels in Ireland, including the absolutely exceptional Hayfield Manor in the city of Cork, and none of them made us pay so much extra for a oom for three.
And what did we get for the premium price back at the Davenport? A room that was in dire need of maintenance. The bathroom actually had black mold on the tub tile and ceilings. Not just a little mold, but all over, even on the curtain rod. The toilet barely flushed with a trickle of water. When I complained to an argumentative manger, he sort of got in my face, pushing back instead of helping. The toilet works fine, he retorted, and went to show us. Indeed, it worked, if you pushed down on the handle like you're a potato farmer working a water well. You had to hold the handle down for the minute it took it to flush. My wife had tried it and didn't put enough muscle into the handle action, apparently. “Oh,” says the manager, “don’t worry, a lot of Americans can’t figure it out.” So why didn’t he say that in the first place? Or put a sign above the toilet: Hey, Stupid Americans, Hold the Handle Down to Flush!
When the manager saw the mold, he agreed it was unacceptable and moved us to another room. But that room was not much better. Same dirty carpets, crappy furniture and awful bathroom. The toilet bowl had a dirty and disgusting ring to it, as if it was about to be featured in a Tidy Bowl commercial as the "before" picture in a before/after demonstration. Tiles were cracked and holes left in the wall where some fixture had been removed. The door stop was broken, with the tip left dangling! The walls were grimy and stained and the a/c was noisy and useless. My wife was so annoyed she took pictures of both rooms, which is all we have to show for our complaints. You get absolutely no sympathy or customer service from this place.
To add insult to injury, the waitress at the hotel dining room was even more rude than the manager. The only worse hotel service I've ever encountered was in communist Cuba while the Soviets were still there. There was one good thing – the Irish stew. Absolutely delicious. Our compliments to the chef.
We noticed that this guy O’Callaghan (or the firm) has four hotels in Dublin, all within a few blocks of each other. They’re obviously stretched too thin. They need to sell off properties and focus on doing it right in one place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank Agustin G
Cooley05, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014