“First stop on CIE tour.” 4 of 5 bubbles

O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel
Ranked #42 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bath, Canada
“First stop on CIE tour.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

Nice Hotel. Stayed as part of CIE Tour. Rooms were quite nice quite spacious, view from Room OK. Great Pub across the street called The Ginger Man. Breakfast was good and staff quite competent.Our whole group seemed quite pleased.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank regerton
Cooley05, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Davenport Hotel again in the future

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed in The Davenport Hotel for four nights recently and got off on the wrong foot. I parked outside the hotel and asked about parking facilities. I was directed around the block to a gated complex and I was given a code to gain access. I assumed I had arrived at the rear of the hotel. Having parked the car I had difficulty trying to find the lift/stairs to the hotel before realising that it was a separate entity. I went out onto the street and walked about 200 metres to the hotel with my suitcase and suit. I had to walk back again to get another bag and came upon a gang of about ten boisterous youths. Once I collected my bag I had to pass them again. It was dark at the time and there didn’t appear to be anybody else around and it was a little intimidating. I imagine that it would be worse for a lone female in the same situation. It cost me €40 for the privilege and when I went to check out of the hotel I discovered that I couldn’t include it on my room bill and had to pay at the car park. Because I didn’t validate the ticket at reception before I left, the machine in the car park was charging me €182, so I had to trundle back to the hotel again. I found this business to be frustrating and time consuming to say the least. There is no mention of parking on the website and I would caution visitors to be aware of this arrangement before booking the hotel. Apart from that, the room was very comfortable, quiet and clean and the food was good. The location is excellent, just a few miniutes walk from Stephens Green.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TrevorCork

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Nice hotel, great location. Decent size room with huge bed. Breakfast very comprehensive. Staff on the ball. My only disappointment was the lack of free wi-fi, only the house computer available @ 2.99 hour. Yet wi-fi was free in cafe across the road.

Hotel particularly handy for National Gallery (two minutes). Would definitely stay he again. Certainly would stay if free wi-fi was available!

Room Tip: We had 530 and 630. Brilliant rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AmeliaJoni

Ely, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

What a great base for our long weekend in Dublin. This hotel were helpful in every way to us and the weather was kind enough to jump on an open top bus. The hotel served the best pint of Guinness in Dublin and the tall maybe Dutch maybe Belgium duty manager certainly made us feel welcome. If you also want the best bar in Dublin then find O'Sullivans Bar. It is in the centre but we found it the best true Irish experience. (Temple Bar area is more like Blackpool). Breakfast at the hotel was first class they even managed to get me the only English Times in Dublin to relax with too.

Room Tip: Bars across the street were open but not noisy so no problems
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank portmanrd
davenportgm, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear portmanrd,
Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your kind comments to the duty manager involved. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

Kind regards,
Martin Dagger
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

We have stayed at the Davenport the last 3 times in Dublin. Again we had great friendly service and fantastic food! Best location in the city, close to everything. Sylvia the waitress was extremely friendly, wonderful and one of the nicest waitresses! The front desk person Luchia remembers us every time we arrive and is a true pleasure. Highly recommend this hotel! Fantastic food in the President's Bar. Thank you for making our stay in Dublin delightful!

• Stayed March 2012
Dear mapeterson25,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments.We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, I have passed your kind comments on to both staff members mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
With Kind Regards,
Martin Dagger
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

My family and I had a two night stay recently in Dublin. This hotel is centrally located and within walking distance to many of Dublin's sites. The rooms were nice sized, but nothing special, especially the "junior suite" - a room that wasn't much larger than a standard room. Furnishings seemed in need of an upgrade - Bathroom linens were worn - no shampoo or conditioner in two of the three rooms we rented. My bed was hard as a rock - really uncomfortable, but not much I can do about that. Service was just ok - the breakfast had good choices but the food tasted like it was hanging around too long - eggs were overly salty and not enough fruit was offered.

I did ask someone at the desk for a dinner recommendation - were there any places near the hotel that would accept a reservation? He said no, but recommended Foley's as an ideal place for dinner. Unfortunately, we had dinner at Foley's the previous night, and it was dreadful!! I figured he must've had friends working there, otherwise,why would he recommend a pub several blocks away, when there were two good pubs right next door?

The worst of all was having to pay for wifi - I had traveled through Ireland, stayed in many charming B&Bs with FREE wifi (even in Doolin!). I guess the hotel is geared towards soaking the business traveler on an expense account. Ironically, they advertise a business center, but don't have one.

Definitely not a 4 star quality hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Hampstead
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

We were well satisfied with our stay here. The breakfast buffet was included in our booking price and was very good. The room was not small by european standards, but smaller than the larger hotel we stayed in previously in Dublin. It was still quite large compared to those in London! The room was quite cozy and comfortable. The hotel was clean and very convenient for walking to the major attractions in Dublin. Lots of nice pubs and restaurants nearby as well as a short walk to St. Stephen's Green. Public transportation is quite good in the area also. Just a short ride to the Guiness Factory! This is a must see, even if you aren't crazy for Guiness!!

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a view...not sure if it mattered...as we couldn't see any other rooms...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple