“Lovely and charming!”

O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel
Ranked #59 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We were well satisfied with our stay here. The breakfast buffet was included in our booking price and was very good. The room was not small by european standards, but smaller than the larger hotel we stayed in previously in Dublin. It was still quite large compared to those in London! The room was quite cozy and comfortable. The hotel was clean and very convenient for walking to the major attractions in Dublin. Lots of nice pubs and restaurants nearby as well as a short walk to St. Stephen's Green. Public transportation is quite good in the area also. Just a short ride to the Guiness Factory! This is a must see, even if you aren't crazy for Guiness!!

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a view...not sure if it mattered...as we couldn't see any other rooms...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Cooley05, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Davenport Hotel again in the future

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,718)

Reviewed March 2, 2012

Completely satisfied with the Davenport. Back room was quiet, comfortable, clean and reasonably roomy. Lacked nothing except free wi fi. Bathroom old fashioned, but plenty of space. Can't find a reason for complaint, with one exception. Don't eat the expensive and not appealing breakfast. Lots of better choices.

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We were satying here for a two night break mid February for our 1st visit to Dublin and were looking for a fairly central hotel and decided upon the Davenport. Location was good - about 10-15 minutes walk from Grafton Street, 2 mins walk from one of the City Tour Bus Stops and a couple of reasonable pubs also nearby. Hotel decor fairly up-market albeit a bit tired in places, furniture in room scratched by the usual suitcases etc but otherwise clean and comfortable. Bathroom corners a bit dirtier and the usual mould around the bath and shower area and in the corners that never seem to get cleaned. Provided with the usual room soap and shampoo etc Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking a pub opposite on one of the side roads, and apart from someone either arriving or leaving early from the room above? never heard any other noise. Window sound deadening was great as we were worried there might be noise from the pub - but never heard anything. Breakfast was a good choice of cooked or cold and all fresh and very good value for a city centre hotel. Dinner on the 1st night was in another pub 2 mins walk away and was very tasty and again good value apart from the drinks (5euro for a small glass of wine). After much deliberation thought we would go back the following night only to be told the Kitchen was closed - this was at about ten past six - we couldn't believe it. Tried the other pub next to the hotel but didn't stay there as there was mushrooms in the steak pie which isn't helpful when you are allergic to them. Ended up in the hotel dining room and had a great meal again for a very good price especially when comparing it to elsewhere.
Check in and out was very quick and friendly.
Taxi to and from the airport varied between 20 euro coming in to 27euro for going out - not sure why there was a difference.
If planning on doing some cheap duty free shopping at the airport - don't bother - just about all the prices were dearer than the town.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heliobiscus

Reviewed February 16, 2012

I checked in here for 3 weeks recently whilst in Dublin on business. I travel 3 - 4 times a year for work and this was my first time to stay here.

Some of the positives:
- I was allocated a deluxe suite on check-in by a very friendly chap. Similarly, my early morning checkout was well & pleasantly handled.
- The room was very spacious and very well maintained for the duration.
- The bed was very comfortable, linen always fresh.
- Good value given the proximity to various landmarks and the relative peace & quiet for a city-central location
- The (only) meal I had was provided complementary in lieu of an episode one morning where there was no hot water and I had to shower in a hurry across the road in the Alexander (though I did have to ask and was told a decision would be made by 'a manager' later - which happily it was)

Some of the negatives:

- In 21 days, I was only greeted by staff as I came and went from the hotel no more than three or four times, one of the female staff even blanked me as I got out of the lift one morning! I found that extraordinary but when approached (e.g. at the desk) they were very friendly and eager to assist (customer service however does not begin and end at the desk, in my opinion)
- On a Tuesday night there was ONE staff member on the floor in the restaurant area for bar service, food orders, food delivery, teas, coffees etc. The poor guy did the best he could but naturally - it was less than fair on everyone.
- I could hear my neighbours moving around through the walls and in their bathroom through mine. This only happened in the last week so I am unsure if the adjoining room was empty or not for the remainder of the time.
- The fire alarms in my room and throughout the hotel went off around 2am on a Saturday morning - coinciding with what appeared to be a large group of formally dressed young revelers leaving a function. No member of staff contacted me or offered an apology for it. I guessed it might be something to do with the group at that hour when I saw them, but I became a little annoyed afterwards thinking what should have happened especially had this been an emergency situation.
- I enquired at the desk about accommodation rates for two colleagues coming from the US for a fortnight. I was directed to contact the sales team on the main number - but in spite of my three-week stint and the potential additional business, was not offered anything beyond the standard rate (they came as scheduled but stayed elsewhere)
- One of the cleaning staff walked into the room whilst I was still asleep - woke me up but apologised in fairness as she left hurriedly.
- The Gingerman Pub was quiet thankfully during most of the week but noisy a couple of times mainly on the w/ends. Unfortunately my room was adjacent with the window located almost directly opposite. Worth bearing in mind if you are a light sleeper.
- The toiletries provided I didn't use for the most part, but certainly under-par for 4-star accommodation.
- Wi-Fi was not included and had to be arranged additionally- which needs to be reviewed particularly given the business clientele that appear to frequent the place. I ended up using facilities at work instead.
- There could at the very least have been a bottle of water provided (again - something expected for a hotel at this rating)

In summation - it was 'fine'. My lasting impression is that the hotel functions in spite of the guests but not because of them. It wouldn't take much to make it better and I don't know if you would get any better elsewhere at that price. A simple call to the room over the duration of the stay to check on how things were going would have gone a long way. But if you expect a 4-star experience, it's not going to happen here. I would happily stay again for a night or two but probably no more than that.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank astellar

Reviewed February 9, 2012

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the room was clean and well organized. The location is great — everything is walkable, and the hotel is far enough from the bars and nightclubs that it is quiet.

My room was much too warm, even with the heat off (the hallway was positively stifling), and I had to open the window slightly (in the middle of winter!) to make it comfortable. I also had to ask for a sheet, as a duvet (which was all they provided) is simply too much in that warmth.

The bed is much too hard for American preferences. I do like a firm mattress in the sense that it doesn't sag, but I need for the first few inches to conform to my shape. I eventually solved this problem (and eliminated my morning backache) by folding the duvet and sleeping on top of two layers of it.

A few details: The "body lotion" is nicely thicker than most hotel lotions, very good for keeping hands moisturized in the middle of winter. The "conditioning shampoo" contained no conditioner that I could notice. The charge for wifi is excessive, especially since many of the less expensive hotels offer it at no charge. Radio is offered only through the TV menus, and I couldn't figure out how to work it. The sink had separate taps for hot and cold water, which is acceptable for hands but not for face.

I had breakfast in the hotel on my last day, as all the coffee shops in the area are closed on Sunday. The food was of good quality and variety, but I think 11.95€ is far too much to charge for breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ElizabethB1952
davenportgm, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear Ebuie

Thank you for all the positive feedback in your review. We have taken on board your comments concerning the temperature in the hotel which is regulated closely to try to maintain a comfortable and warm winter time ambient temperature this was not to your liking during your stay and for this I must apologise. I was surprised to hear you found the mattress hard as we get lots of positive feed back from our guests in relation to our comfortable beds over 40 % of which would be American guests .Breakfast prices are very competitive for an all you can eat format with a near by hotel charging €28 per person for breakfast and the coffee to go shop across the road over € 7 for coffee, pastry and a piece of fruit, we also have a light breakfast option should you not want the full cooked breakfast which is available for €7. Thank you again for all the feedback and I would like to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Kind regards

John

Reviewed February 8, 2012

I stayed here for one night, check in was smooth and fast.

The room was a little tired looking, scuff marks on walls and on the door but might easily be the largest ever hotel room I have stayed in. When I was in the bathroom I washed my hands and there was no soap which was pretty amazing. So I had a look at the toiletries provided and it was pretty paltry for a 4 star hotel. There were 3 tiny bottles of shower gel, shampoo and body lotion and a shower cap. No soap at all. The other thing I needed was the sewing kit as I had pulled a ruffle from my cardigan during the day. So off to reception I went and after a lot of searching she turned up an open sewing kit but since it had a needle and thread I was happy. She also had a stock of soap, so I wonder why there was none in the room. The other jarring note in the bathroom was the quality of the toilet roll, definitely not 4* standard or luxurious.

Iron and ironing board worked perfectly, wifi was good, TV was good. The bed was actually 2 beds pushed together and made up into one large bed, so there was a ridge down the middle where the beds joined. Luckily I was there alone and I slept wonderfully.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay here but would question if it is a 4* hotel given the lack of attention to little details.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Clamball

Reviewed February 1, 2012

I met a business colleague for lunch in their restaurant. It certainly seemed popular with the 'business' and 'upper echelon' sets! However, I was disappointed for two reasons - firstly, we were waiting quite some time before a waiter took our order (okay, they were busy enough) and for our food to arrive....secondly, the lunch was a heck of a lot pricier than what is on offer in many of the nearby pubs,(which also offer lunch fare).
The food itself was of reasonably good quality (only reasonably, mind you) but the price and the service wil deter me from returning.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Mick M
davenportgm, Manager at O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Dear olhaoafficianado

Thank you for the review. I was disappointed to hear that you were not overly happy with your not so recent experience with us in our bar for lunch. Our lounge bar is one of the busiest in the city and we have a huge amount of loyal return guests which in the current economic climate would quickly evaporate if the food or service standards fell short of expectation. There are as you pointed out a lot of competition in the area which I believe we are priced very competitively against. We have recently redesigned our menu's and they do represent an improvement in quality and value for money so I do hope if you are in the area for a lunch again you call in for a second try
Regards