“Good hostel in good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kinlay House

Kinlay House
Ranked #16 of 106 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Good hostel in good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great location for a night in Temple Bar, staff were very helpful with directions and tips with good facilities. Common Room was a good feature for chilling out and having a drink and a chat. Would stay here again! We were a group of four so the four bed dorm was perfect. Security was good too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

A friend and I stayed at Kinlay House for three nights while visiting Dublin in July. Overall, I was very pleased with this hostel. We stayed in a twin ensuite. The room was clean and the hostel is in a great location near Temple bar, Christ Church Cathedral, and many inexpensive restaurants. The hostel also offered free breakfast, which was great! The only problem i had was that we had to keep the windows to our room open at night because of the high temperatures and lack of air conditioning. As a result at night it was very noisy from the street traffic making it difficult to sleep. However, I would definitely stay here again and recommend Kinlay House to anyone visiting Dublin!

San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We usually don't stay at hostels but since there was the Rugby Championship a lot of Hotels were sold out for some nights or more expensive so my fiancee and I decided to booked here for our first week in Middle of May and last 2 days ( May 25/26) since it was about 50 euro cheaper, but after the experience, I think I would have not mind paying more for a hotel.
Here are the good things:
Location - Great just a few steps from ChristChurch, Temple bar a few minutes and other places within walking distance. Airlink to airport stop is just outside the hostel which is Perfect if you are catching an early flight with a lot of luggage. Laundry on-site but if I remember 4 eur for washing and 4 for dryer. Staff friendly. No issue with noise even when our room was facing the street. So we had a good sleep.
Now here the bad things we encountered:
Room- I booked a private Double Bed Ensuite, but the room had a bunk bed which was for 3 people. So in the mornings my fiancee had to be careful not to hit her head while getting out of bed.
Bathroom- To take a shower we had to hit the button every 30 seconds so it was annoying. We also had a problem with the toilet our first or second night but they did fix it right away.
Iron - When I asked for one, they said they only had one and it was broken, for a big hostel i don't understand why they can't have more.
Elevator- There is no Elevator or I didn't see one so it is hard to climbed a few or couple of flight of stairs with heavy luggage.

On our second stay, again I booked a Double Private but we got a room with two twin beds. It was hard to sleep in one bed but in this room at least the shower was fine we didn't need to a button. We were so tired since we got there very late evening that i didn't bothered to asked to get a different room.

Overall, I think that if we would have gotten the type of room i paid for and we didn't had to deal with pushing a button to take a shower and the issue with the toilet, we would have had a better feeling of staying here,
So a tip - if you book a Double Bed before you go upstairs to the room, confirm what type of beds the room has.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jchernan562
Kansas City, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Fantastic hostel, we were hesitant to stay here as it says it's in Temple Bar, we were pleasantly surprised that it was so quiet and relaxed. Breakfast was great, staff was incredibly friendly. Great little beer garden out back attached to a nice little bar. It was close to shopping, sites, pubs, and restaurants. Recommend to anyone in Dublin.

Wexford, Wexford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

You would never think that the hostel is so closed to Temple Bar. It's a nice quiet hostel with a big enough kitchen and the breakfast, which is included in the price, was lovely too.

Five Stars for the staff. Very helpful and friendly.
The bathroom was very acceptable for the price you are paying in a location like that.
Everything is within walking distance but if you don't fancy walking, there is a bus stop outside the hostel.
It's very close to The Olympia so its perfect if you go to a Gig and want/need to stay a night in Dublin

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

The location of the hostel is great: in the center of Dublin very close to Temple Bar. The staff is friendly and the breakfast edible.

BUT: The room smelled like cheesy feet and the bed was broken and therefore not very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I'll recommend the Kinlay house to anyone coming to Dublin; I have a students agency and I'll absolutely recommend it to all students coming and all of my young friends as well.
The services of staff is great and all of them do the best effort to make feeling yourself as home.
I will be back to kinlays when I need to stay in a hostel again for sure.
There are THREE things I personally believe they have to improve: Internet (wifi) connection and, I'd include Weetabix in their breakfast! (As I have stayed as well in Avalon house). AND maybe a little box on head or beside the beds for personal stuff will be great!

All the rest is good and is really worth it (value for money).

• Stayed July 2013