“Cheap and cheerful”
Review of Kinlay House

Kinlay House
Ranked #14 of 130 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed here with my girlfriend in July and loved it. We got a private room for very cheap which was basic but clean. Staff were great and recommended great restaurants (thanks for the Toffoli tip!). They were doing free pizza for guests that night which smelt great but we went out. Seemed to be lots going on in the hostel and a great buzz about the place. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
ronanbrady, Manager at Kinlay House, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

We're delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and the recommendations you got. If you're back again we also do free pasta and pancakes on other days if you're hungry!

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights while backpacking through Ireland. Hands down, the dirtiest hostel we've ever been in. Dirty, smelly carpet- Dirty bathroom- had to wear shoes to shower in. Sheets and comforter had several different colors/types of hair embedded in them and we were questioned over and over when we requested new sheets. We left feeling like we had the flu- do NOT stay here. Stayed in Four Courts Hostel on our way back through Dublin- it's cheaper and a much better deal for what you get.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ashley M

Thank you for your feedback. I was shocked to see your review in which you said it was the dirtiest hostel you had ever been in. I would be very grateful if you could let me know further details about your stay, including what room you stayed in and whether you were sharing a room with other guests. I can assure you that all our sheets are freshly laundered on a daily basis, and the carpets are regularly hoovered and shampooed. I am also very disappointed to hear that your found hairs embedded in them. I would like to investigate this further so if you can find the time please feel free to contact me directly by phone or email.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Following a nice, tidy and correct experience in its Galway counterpart, I was optimistic about this hostel. Without reason, so it seemed.
It started off with numerous instances of false advertising, amongst which
-en suite bathrooms to the dorms (they didn't have those, instead they claimed we booked for a normal dorm bed and they made us pay extra for an en-suite triple room)
-an airport shuttle that would pick you up (we phoned in and got the reply 'sure just take the airlink'...whereas we would've preferred a return ticket from this shuttle service, as this would've been cheaper and more convenient)
-wifi that just doesn't work
-free breakfast, which is clearly not for the early departers...
Then the rooms, they were filthy
Then our coguests:unmannered and noisy and dirty; showers and toilets were too filthy to use
Then a totally unhelpful staff that was even considering ripping us off. Because of their screw-up we had to move rooms after the first night, and they tried to charge us for leaving our luggage in the storage because they hadn't made up the rooms yet.

Extremely disappointing and it casts a bad shadow over other Kinlay Houses around Ireland.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kwien_Z

Thank you for your feedback. We were disappointed that you felt unhappy with your stay with us but I wanted to address some of the issues you raised about our hostel:

* Ensuite rooms: we have a mix of ensuite and standard rooms (privates and dorms) in the hostel. 90% of our guests book online via automated booking services and these clearly state whether the room is ensuite or standard. The ensuite rooms are obviously more expensive than the standard rooms. If a guest books a standard room by mistake we can offer to upgrade guests subject to availability but the guest will have to pay the difference. I can only presume that this was what happened in your case as we would never make guests pay anything other than what they have been confirmed to pay but if you can email me the details of your booking I can double check this for you.

* Shuttle bus: it clearly states on our website that there is a 24 hour shuttle bus service from the hostel to the airport. We do not have a service from the airport to the hostel and we do not advertise or state that we do anywhere. If you can tell me where you read this please let me know as we have never operated such a service nor have we advertised or stated this anywhere in print or online as far as we are aware of.

* WiFi: we have a 12MB connection which operates our 5 free internet terminals and WiFi for the guests. On occasion if the hostel is full of guests all online this can be slow but I assure you that our WiFi does work. Very occasionally our WiFi system requires a reboot or has technical issues like any computer system but this is the exception rather than the norm.

* Free breakfast: we serve breakfast from 7.00am which is very early for most of our guests. You say it is clearly not for the early departers but I would be grateful if you would let us know what time you would like breakfast served from.

*Rooms: All of our rooms are cleaned after departure and all beds cleaned and changed with freshly laundered linens. If you were in a room with dirty co-guests I am very sorry but this is not the fault of the hostel. We ask all our guests to be considerate to their room mates and if guests have a problem with them to please notify reception. The majority of our guests are clean, well mannered and lovely people but we are powerless to form guest's habits and hygiene, however much we try.
*Staff: You mentioned that our staff tried to rip you off but I feel this is unfair. I am confident that if you look again at your original booking that you will see that you booked a standard room and the staff were charging you the correct price for an upgrade. We have lockers which are €1 per day and guests use these if changing roooms or if they arrive early before rooms are ready. Guests check out at 10am and our housekeeping staff need time to get rooms ready before check in. We always do our best to get guests rooms ready as soon as possible but this is not always possible especially during the busy summer season.

I really hope you can have a look again at your booking and perhaps contact us in the hostel to investigate this for you and give us a chance to properly explain your booking.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

My partner and I stayed here over a week but as we were moving around a bit we stayed in three separate rooms - twice in a 4 bed mixed dorm and once in a private and all the rooms were clean and comfortable and we didn't have any probs.
Most of the staff on reception were super helpful. internet is free and the common room is awesome when you need some time just to chill out.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
ronanbrady, General Manager at Kinlay House, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Thanks for your review - look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 18, 2011

I stayed here for a weekend back in April with 4 friends celebrating a friend's birthday. The hostel is brilliantly situated at about a 2min walk from the popular Temple Bar area of the city, which has a wide range restaurants, bars and clubs. It's location also means that the popular tourist destinations in the city are never too far away AND more importantly the 'Queen of Tarts' cafe/bakery (which is one of the best I've been to) is just around the corner! The hostel is located on a fairly busy road and therefore it could be a bit noisy at times, but we were never disturbed by any noise from the other guests.

The hostel itself has a fantastic atmosphere. The staff are friendly and very helpful, and there was a great sense of camaraderie between those staying there. It has communal spaces with games tables, tv's, and Internet access for people to chill in, and a kitchen area for those who opt for the self-catering option. A basic breakfast is included in the price, with people helping themselves in the kitchen and eating in the communal dining area.

The rooms are basic but clean; in the room we stayed in everyone was assigned a bunk in a bunk bed. There is, however, very little storage space and no secure place to store items in the room itself, but you can easily rent lockers from reception to store any valuables. The communal bathrooms were clean, but the showers are like those found in a gym or pool where you need to keep pushing the button down to keep them running.

All things considered I would definitely stay here again as it was clean, safe, conveniently located, with welcoming and helpful staff. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Thanks for your great review - we really appreciate your feedback. Hope to see you soon again here at Kinlay

Reviewed July 11, 2011

This hostel was close to all the main attractions in Dublin, and the breakfast was fine, but other than that we didn't have a very good experience here. This was surprising after I had read all the good reviews.

We booked a double bed and instead were given a bunk bed. The bottom bunk was bigger than a standard single, but still not big enough for two people to comfortably sleep in. The shower temperature and pressure were fine, but you had to push a button to make the water run. You had to have one hand pressing the button at all times or the water petered out, which made having a shower difficult, and seemed ungenerous. Also, when I went to ask at reception for an extra blanket, the guy who appeared to be a night manager looked incredulous and annoyed and said "You're cold??"

There was free wifi but the signal was too weak to work in our second-floor room, if you want internet I'd ask for a lower room.

It left a bad impression with us and we wouldn't recommend it. It also wasn't much cheaper than a B&B - there are better options in Dublin.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your feedback. We were sorry to see that you had a few problems during your stay. We have a few double rooms that have a double bed base and a single bed bunk above them which caters for couples and singles in a room for two. The double beds are a standard double size but I am sorry if you felt it was too small. Apologies about the push button - I believe there was a fault in the push button in that particular room which has since been replaced. The push buttons are designed to give water for about 40 seconds for each push and yours was not working properly. We did replace this as soon as it was brought to our attention. I also apologise if our night manager appeared annoyed. I suppose it was an unusual request in July but we have brought this to his attention and he is sorry for any offence caused.
We have added another router for the WiFi to boost signal strength to the upper floors since you stayed with us.
Our private rooms start from about €50 per night which is very reasonable for city centre accommodation. You can find accommodation in Dublin for similar prices please look out for the extra charges such as breakfast, internet etc that these cheaper B&Bs and hotels do not highlight in their prices and please make sure you are aware that most of them are not in the city centre.

Reviewed May 7, 2011

I would definitely stay here again. They're within walking distance of almost all of Dublin's major attractions. They have a large kitchen and dining space, which really saves money when you don't want to go out to eat. There is plenty of toast, jam, and orange juice for breakfast. They have Wi-Fi in one corner of the dining area where I saw quite a few people chatting with friends and family on Skype. The staff was extraordinarily helpful in getting my bearings when I first arrived. I loved the fact that the front door of the building locked, so it's a bit more difficult for anyone to walk in.

The rooms were simple, but that's all I needed. The only odd thing was the shower. I had to push a button every few seconds or so to keep the water going. As soon as I pretended that I was on he TV show 'Lost', where I had to push the mysterious button to stop the world from coming to an end, taking a shower became an adventure.

• Stayed: June 2010

So glad you enjoyed your stay here - see you again soon!