“More than just a hostel”
Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Ranked #98 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
United Kingdom
“More than just a hostel”
Reviewed June 17, 2010

My days started out well by the very filling Irish breakfast which is complimentary! Getting out was easy as the main roads were just a stone's throw away. My room was comfortable and cleaned everyday. It was quiet though as I was the only one in an 8-bed room - gave me very good nights of sleep. I was grounded for an extra day in Dublin due to the volcanic ash. It was a big inconvenience but the staff were helpful. They even followed up the next day asking about my new flight arrangements. Thankfully, they have a few computers with Internet which I can rebook my flights. You get great breakfast, nice rooms and very good service at an affordable price! Will definitely come back here if I return to Dublin next time!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank carefree_sloth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
US
Reviewed June 8, 2010

After reading the reviews here, we expected much better. We paid 90 Euros per night, and while it wasn't horrible, for that price I do expect something cleaner, if nothing else. It reminded me too much of my gap-year backpacking and staying in dirty hostels.

First of all, it seems we got a crappy room. If you get a better room, you'll probably be much happier. The room was fine if not spotless, the bathroom (including the toilet seat) was not clean. The shower was never meant to be amazing, and has seen better days. It wasn't fun using it. One of the shampoos was clearly used. The shape of the bathroom and the size of the shower would make it difficult for anyone tall, big, or pregnant to use with ease.

Everything creaked. The beds, the floor, and the toilet sang a tune after flushing it. The decor is meh and tacky, but we didn't really care. We did care that there were (probably permanent) stains on the furniture, the curtain had holes in it, and the whole place inspired me to buy flip flops so I wouldn't have to walk - or shower -barefoot.

They didn't change our sheets at all while we were there, and one day forgot to come in at all, leaving us with no toilet paper, and only one useable towel.

It's not the worst place to stay, probably, but I'd rather not pay for this kind of experience.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Belly123

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2010

My wife and I stayed here in May 2010 because we were going to a concert in the O2 Arena. As we were only in Dublin for one night we wanted somewhere well located and easy to get to and The Townhouse ticked all our boxes.

One of the big plus points for The Townhouse is the complimentary parking garage. It’s a tight squeeze, but it’s much better than leaving your car outside on the street over night. The garage is monitored from reception by CCTV and on arrival you leave your key behind reception in case they need to move your car.

The Townhouse is very easy to find and is centrally located on the north side of Dublin. It was only a minute on foot away from lots of pubs and restaurants.

The reception and dining room staff were very personable and friendly, right from we phoned to make our booking until we checked out. Note that you have to pay in full on arrival and not on check out. Our room was spacious and comfortable, and was generally clean and tidy. The bathroom was fine, but could have benefited from a good scrub. We did have a few minor issues such as the very creaky floors, power sockets that didn’t work, noise from the corridor and the shower having to run for five minutes before the hot water came through.

Breakfast was an Irish fry served in the bright and airy dining room and was very tasty.

All-in-all, and considering he relatively competitive price (Dublin is VERY expensive!), I would recommend The Townhouse for a short stay, particularly if you are going to see a show at the nearby O2 Arena, which was only about 20 minutes walk away.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank luckystrike
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Good breakfast,great location The first night we were quite happy but the second night,a Friday,the bar down the street opened their back door and the music bounced down the way into our room so NO SLEEP until 1330.If it's not a music night or if you WANT stay up to hear the music ,or you are not in the rooms along the back wall 9227,229,etc) you will be OK

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Henry B
Melbourne
Reviewed April 8, 2010

I stayed at the townhouse dublin for a week over st patricks day.
It a nice hotell with a hostel attached as well. I booked through the hostel website but because i seleceted a single room was put in the hotel side. the room was nice, nothing to facny but the bathroom was larger,
A full breakfast was included.... eggs, baccon, beans, toast, sausage, tomatoes. hash browns. great start to the day, espeically great for someone traveling on a bugdet. do be mindful to get there early, 15 mins before breafast is over be prepared to que.
The locaton is great only a few min walk from o'connel street.
Getting to the hotel from the airport is easy simpley get on the airport bus wich will take you to o'connel street you can walk from there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank JessDenham
Burlington, KY
Reviewed February 9, 2010

In my experience, this is the best, moderately priced hotel in Dublin. Conveniently located near the main bus terminal, it is pretty much walking distance to all of downtown (if you are a walker!). As of 2010, the rates were Euro 70-80 single and 115-130 double. I stayed in the new addition which was clean, modern and very comfortable. The breakfast was great!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Kentucky_Guy
West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 30, 2009

I've now stayed at The Townhouse three times (January, February and September in 2009).

My trips to Dublin have been purely for pleasure. The Townhouse has been a great base from which to explore: Close to Connolly Station for trains north and the DART, to Busaras and the LUAS stop next to it; just 3½ blocks from O'Connoll Street and not far from the rest of City Centre.

The breakfast in the morning provides ample quantity to help you last well into the day and perhaps save some money. (In January I found a full breakfast at The Townhouse and an early dinner sufficient to get by...in September I just wanted to try more places!) The full Irish Breakfast includes Irish bacon, sausage (2), tomato quarters (3), fried egg over medium, baked beans, hash brown triangle and toast. All quite good if a bit institutional. There's also brown bread, white bread, a choice of cereals, porridge, tea, coffee, milk and juice. However, what passes for juice is pretty poor (you really shouldn't be able to see through orange juice!). I believe that The Townhouse uses this same space as a café to serve food for other meals in the day as well, but I haven't checked that out.

The rooms are done up in a modern decor but are surprisingly cosy and comfortable for all that. When I returned exhausted at the end of each day, I was grateful to fall into a comfortable bed in warm surroundings. (All three times I stayed in one of the single rooms overlooking the courtyard, room 130 twice and 330 most recently.) There was tea and coffee with an electric kettle in the room, a tv (which I never bothered with so I can't say about the selection), an in-room safe, a round table, a comfy chair, a desk with a bench for a seat (which I used easily as my nightstand). The ensuite was more than adequate, although the shower was a little tight. Not really a problem.

There is a computer available for guest use, which was nice to stay caught up on e-mail and to double check directions and opening hours. There is also a wi-fi area above the dining area that looked quite comfortable for those using it.

The Townhouse is my choice for staying in Dublin...and I'm coming back in January of 2010.

Keith