“Great - more like a hotel than B&B”
Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Ranked #99 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed April 2, 2005

Arrived late Friday night (1st April, 2005) - from airport using 'Aircoach' to O'Connell St, then 15 min walk to the Townhouse via Talbot St. Excellent single room, non-smoking floor. Good breakfast self-service; fast - v. good and varied food.

Location: Good for public transport with DART, LUAS and bus station all close if you need them. Possibly not so good if you're getting back late at night on foot as lone female. One or two people the worse for wear for drink - but didn't approach or appear threatening.

Room was of 3-4* hotel standard, but if you wanted a quiet night not so good as live trad. Irish music (v good!) nearby found its way into my room until after midnight. Didn't bother me as I liked the music and went to sleep anyway!

I was travelling alone, mostly people in their 20's staying there, but I didn't feel out of place staying there as an over-40. I needed to leave Sunday at 4.30 a.m. for flight home and could have had a snack provided by the helpful and friendly reception staff.

12  Thank dardle234

A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 22, 2005

I've stayed here twice, once in 2001 and once in 2004. The rooms are very nicely appointed, very clean and nice. Not very big...but that's ok...you're never actually in them anyway (other than to sleep). Both times I've had a car and they have been very accomodating with parking. They have their own garage in the back and I was able to park there both times. The staff is pretty friendly, especially the lady who I think runs the place. (at least I think she runs it)

On the first stay...the Pub around the corner who shares the alley with The Townhouse was really loud...but if you stay out late drinking Guinness like you should...then that shouldn't be a problem. =)

Location is great. It's a real easy walk to O'Connell street, Trinity College, Temple Bar and other areas...including the bus station.

Breakfast is awesome. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2004
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Essex
Reviewed March 20, 2005

Me and my husband have just returned from a long fantastic weekend in Dublin. We stayed at The Townhouse, Lower Gardiner Street . The room was beutifully decorated and with all the amenites you want and need. The breakfast was wonderful with lots to choose from. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The price of the room was very reasonable too. All the attractions are only 5 minutes away and it's an easy place to find from the airport. I will most certainly recomend it all my friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 16, 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Townhouse in mid-October 2004. We service was first rate. We arrived at 9:30 am the day we were going to check in; we were greeted warmly and shown to our room immediately. The room (328? - Japanese theme in honor of a famous past resident) and bathroom were small but both were very clean and comfortable.
The location is NOT a bad part of town as some reviewers migh have you believe, however, the dining choices in the vicinity are rather limited...you might need to walk a bit to find what you want.

4  Thank Casey027
Reviewed October 4, 2004

We stayed for 2 nights last week at the Townhouse. The location is convenient to the bus station and within easy walking distance of attractions. It is, however, definitely not in a "fashionable" area. The hotel also manages the youth hostel next door and provides the same level of service to both sides--not much. We had a corner room in that overlooked the garden. It was large, very nicely furnished with a very large bathroom. There were a few maintenance issues with the room (phone didn't work, safe didn't work, mold in bathroom). I was told that nothing could be fixed because the maintenance person was on vacation. The Townhouse was a good value for a budget hotel.

2  Thank BWMSD
Reviewed September 29, 2004

Dublin Thu, 16-Sep-04 The Townhouse of Dublin (commercial URL) € 102 /110
Loc: quite good ; Rm: small but OK ; Bathrm: tiny ; Bkft:fair ; Staff: reasonable ; Value: 3+/5
Comment: “+” due to the relatively low cost

2  Thank Neta_Amit
Reviewed September 14, 2004

I stayed last minute at this hotel and was plesantly surprised as for 60 euros i wasnt expecting much. The rooms are very small though but they are well decorated. The beds were comfy but the bathroom had only a shower. Thought the staff were brilliant. Breakfast was ok. There was plenty of it.