“Wouldn't stay again.”
Review of The Townhouse

The Townhouse
Ranked #98 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Overall we found the quality of the accommodation at the Dublin Townhouse to be very poor. The noise from within the building was compounded by it being attached to and sharing some facilities with a hostel. Breakfast is included in the price (that's not the same as free), but the food quality was quite poor. I have attached a few pics which give a general idea of the place. I find it curious that after each review the property invites the writer to 'Like' them on Facebook and extolls their awards...even after bad reviews.

Room Tip: If you like rooms at hostels stay at this hotel.
5  Thank ComeSeeHun

Reviewed July 28, 2013

To say I was not happy with my stay in the Townhouse would be an extreme understatement. Having booked 2weeks in advance and having requested a room in the newer building I was still given a room in the older building, having mentioned my request I was told there was no available rooms and they can't guarantee all requests, which to me implied that every other single person staying must have made the exact same request as myself and I was unfortunate not to be able to have my request granted! The room I was then subsequently given was on the top floor and with the good weather that week and given that heat rises the room was like a sauna. Even with the window opened it made absolutely no difference to the stifling heat within the room, but only served to allow the noise from the constant traffic and the gangs of boisterous pub goers on the main street below into the room. Having asked if there were any fans available I was told "no they were all out". As a result I had to sleep both nights with my bedroom door opened on to the corridor. Which needless to say wasn't exactly a safe thing to do given that there were foreign tourists running around the building in their underwear well into the early hours of the morning. There was no bulb in the ceiling light in the room and to cap it off there was no water whatsoever out of the hot water tap. As I was in Dublin to attend a show I needed to print off the tickets so I needed internet access. I had to pay €1 for 30seconds access which I understand but I also had to pay another €2 for printing the tickets on two a4 sheets of paper which was excessive to say the least!! The breakfast experience was also less than desirable as the people serving the breakfast there are only interested in making sure the breakfast vouchers that are issued on checking in are valid and would shout to see the voucher before serving any food. Their english was very poor and trying to explain what I would like to eat was an effort, after all this and being given a half mug of tea I then found a blonde hair in my cereal. All in all it was a shocking experience. I have stayed several times in the past and my partner has been going to the Townhouse every year for past 18years and we have both agreed this was the worst visit we ever made. The focus just seems to be all on making money now, regardless of the service that's being provided. What with the charging for the car that's parked on their premises (which was unheard of a few years back), Charging a euro for a sheet of paper and noticeable cut backs with the breakfast a loyal guest of the Townhouse is definitely not valued or appreciated. It is without reservation that we can say we will definitely not be recommending or staying in the Townhouse again.

1  Thank Martin B
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is our 3rd visit to The Townhouse Dublin.It is a great location handy to all local restaurants.Recommend Italian Connection just round the corner and Mexico to Rome at Temple Bar.Room clean and comfi and staff that would go to the ends of the earth for you.Breakfast was delicious.Stayed here with my husband and daughter.We had a ball.Thank you to all the staff at The Townhouse.We will visit again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2013

While perfectly acceptable accommodation, I probably wouldn't stay here again. We were booked into a room that appeared to be an old storage closet off a stairway. While off the main street and quiet, it was an odd space and the bathroom was very cramped. I was apprehensive of walking into the low-hanging, ceiling-mounted television when getting up in the dark. The breakfast (which was included in the price of our pre-booked reservation) was tolerable but I wouldn't have availed myself of it if it weren't already included. Near the bus station and close to enough pubs and restaurants to make it convenient, but we spent most of our time away from the hotel.

1  Thank Clotilde2002
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the Townhouse Hotel in Dublin and it was certainly NOT the best stay. The Townhouse is a bed and breakfast accommodation, so they do not have all of the advantages of a full hotel operation and I prefer actual hotels that have lots of amenities. I booked the hotel about two months before my trip, but now I realize that I should have booked another hotel several months in advance so that I would have had better options. The Townhouse needs renovating into a more modern and clean look, the rooms are small, the beds are not very comfortable, they do not have air conditioning, the shower is very small, and the television is outdated and does not offer that many channels and may occasionally not work. The rooms could have been cleaned better as well. The Townhouse has a community microwave, ice machine, and iron, so guests have to share instead of the hotel providing individual microwaves and irons in the rooms and providing ice machines on every floor. This so-called hotel could not even offer an ice bucket; you have to do downstairs to get ice and put it in your own cup. Plus, the iron was old, barely worked, and it stained my clothes! Additionally, the room with the ice maker and microwave was not clean. I never used the microwave anyway because it was dirty, and filth and bacteria can cause illness.

One of the male front desk employees was rude to me for no apparent reason (the middle aged guy with the brown spiky hair and glasses) when I complained about the guest next door to me snoring extremely loudly. All I simply asked was what could be done about the issue; I was not rude, did not raise my voice, did not use profanity or obscene language, and I did not get violent. In return, the employee called me out of my name by calling me a "drama queen", which is disrespectful; a real man would not talk to a woman like that, especially a woman that was not being offensive to begin with. To clarify for any of the hotel staff that may read this, my birth certificate contains a first, middle, and last name for me, "drama queen" in nowhere on my birth certificate! I was able to switch rooms, which was what the employee suggested, but that does not excuse his rotten attitude. I understand that working in customer service and dealing with people's problems can be challenging, but if a person does not like their work and the horrible pay that working in customer service brings, then they need to find another career that suits them better instead of taking out their frustrations on guests. During that incident, I maintained my composure because I did not want to go to jail abroad for knocking his raggedy teeth out, and I was not about to let his ignorance and disgusting attitude ruin the rest of my trip! After that whole incident, I kept my distance from that employee and said nothing else to him for the duration of my stay, which was the right thing to do to avoid me ending up in handcuffs in the back of a police car! There was too much noise at the hotel, which I had to complain about late one night, and guests are often very loud during late night hours. On a positive note, the female hotel employees are quite pleasant and professional and the older gentleman at the front desk with glasses and white hair was pleasant as well. The hotel serves a free breakfast if you book online with their site and the breakfast was just okay, especially if you are hungry. As expensive as Dublin is, they should offer way more than a free breakfast and free Wi-Fi. Overall, I would NOT stay at this hotel ever again and I definitely would not recommend this hotel because there are other options if you plan your trip early and book somewhere else. I am always honest in my assertions, so while some people may have had a great stay with this hotel, I however did not. Each person's experience varies.

Dublin is too noisy and filthy for me and everyone smokes way too much as if it is happy cigarette day! Since I do not drink alcohol, I had no interest in the Temple Bar area or any activity involving drinking liquor. The next time that I am in Ireland, I will definitely fly into another city such as Galway, for instance. Even though Dublin is not for me, Ireland is absolutely beautiful. I do not mind a busy and major city because I am originally from Atlanta, but the noise and filth in a city are a major turnoff. My best advice for anyone visiting Dublin is to plan accordingly and do your research way ahead of time so that you can have a better selection of hotels and so that you can save even more money for a better and more preferable place to stay. Also, Dublin is expensive, so be prepared. When you use your debit/credit card in a European ATM machine, more than likely your card will be charged the conversion amount of your home country or wherever you originally got the card. Other cities in Ireland have an improved atmosphere and beautiful scenery, so going to Ireland is well worth it!! Make sure that you go outside of Dublin during your trip, such as taking day trips to Belfast, Glendalough, Kilkenny, Wicklow, etc. I enjoyed myself a lot more while visiting the aforementioned areas during my trip!!! If you travel to Belfast, know that Belfast is a part of the United Kingdom and they use British Pounds instead of Euros, so you will need to have British Pounds in order to make purchases in that area or simply use your debit/credit card if you do not have the cash.

Lastly, when traveling, make sure that you take the time to really enjoy yourself and do NOT let the ignorance of others get you down or break your spirit. There are rude, nasty, and racist people everywhere, but that should never hinder who you are. I wish everyone well in their travels abroad. In daily life and especially in traveling, I always try to remember a great inspirational quote by Dr. Wayne Dyer: "How people treat you is their karma, how you react is yours."

Room Tip: Save your money ahead of time and stay somewhere else if you can!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ChardonnayNT
DublinMurielO, Public Relations Manager at The Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Hi ChardonnayNT

Thank you for taking the time to write an opinion piece on the Townhouse Hotel. I am disappointed that you did not like the Townhouse or Dublin, still, you still like Ireland, and that’s great. When First Lady Michelle Obama and Queen Elizabeth of England recently stayed with us here in Dublin, they loved Dublin, its people and its friendly atmosphere.

We are delighted that your family enjoyed their stay with us at The Townhouse Hotel, we are also delighted that you spoke to our front of house team and David in particular, we will always do our best to sort out any issue big or small, this is a much better way to address issues rather than suffering in silence and spoiling your stay.

We focus on providing comfortable rooms, informative front of house staff and value for your money. Please make sure to LIKE Our Facebook Page as we have a FREE Draw right now that could see you enjoy your next stay with The Townhouse Hotel absolutely FREE.

As well as delivering on our own products and service we work closely with other businesses in the area to ensure that our area is welcoming and that our local attractions such as Custom House Quay, Samuel Beckett Bridge, Gardiner Street Church and so much more are enjoyed by our guests.

We really try hard to deliver on customer service and your review confirms that it is paying off, our location right in the heart of Dublin is a key selling point, however, we like to think that our dedicated Tourist Information Desk and experienced staff are equally important to our local and international guests. Staycation packages available right now at unbeatable prices.

Please make sure to LIKE our Facebook page as we have a FREE Draw there right now, our latest winner will enjoy Riverdance at the Gaiety Theatre tonight with our complements. We look forward to your next stay, please BOOK DIRECT to take advantage of any special offers such as FREE breakfast and so forth.

We are only a few minutes’ walk from Temple Bar and our accommodation prices are about 20% cheaper, including FREE Full Irish Breakfast each morning when you BOOK DIRECT on Our own website.

We have just launched Our July-Get-Away, Staycation Packages Dublin including multi-night discount, FREE Full Irish-Breakfast, Discount vouchers for most major Dublin attractions, including Dublin ZOO and so much more…

I hope you have taken the time to enter our fabulous FREE Draw on Our Facebook page, this draw could see you enjoy a stay at the Townhouse Hotel in Dublin City Centre absolutely free.

As you will know we have day tours leaving from our doorstep each day to such wonderful places such as the Giants Causeway and Cliffs of Moher, you will be back before 9pm, in plenty of time to enjoy a pint in one of our local Traditional Irish Pubs.

Please make sure to BOOK DIRECT on our website to enjoy special offers and see gardinerstreetdublin.com to keep up to date with what is going on in Dublin and Our area in particular.

Please keep up to date with Dublin by visiting gardinerstreetdublin.com

Regards, Muriel O’Connor, Proprietor, The Townhouse Hotel Dublin City Centre

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at The Townhouse with family (who were visiting from the UK & Germany) and having staying at The Townhouse in the past, I re-booked. We were allocated 2 double rooms on the top floor to the front of the building - Oh what a dreadful night's sleep - extremely noisy from the passing traffic and the sanitation pump fitted to the flush in the bathroom sounded like a kango hammer. I wanted to pack up and leave immediately but thought it best to explain our discontent to the staff. We spoke with David at the reception the next morning and within minutes, all was sorted. Our family were moved immediately to double bedrooms in the Courtyard - spacious, quieter and modernised. Needless to say, the remainder of our stay was thoroughly enjoyable. Great location, good value for money and very pleasant and helpful staff - Thank you so much David. We'll def return and request The Courtyard Rooms.

Room Tip: Request a room in the Courtyard (rear of hotel)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WEEROSIE
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I always stay at the Townhouse when in Dublin and always enjoy my stay. This time was no exception ... and it was enhanced by being given a twin-bedded room even though I'd booked for a single room. The staff are always friendly and welcoming, the rooms are always clean and the breakfast is a good start to the day. I find it relatively quiet for a centre city location although having a bin lorry emptying a large bin in the road behind my room at 11.00 pm was a bit of a surprise! It is also very helpful to be able to be able to leave one's bags for the day after checking out and without an extra charge.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo