The Townhouse
Ranked #99 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Firstly this is not a hotel it is a bed & breakfast .
I have stayed here before and enjoyed it but this time was different .
If you look at the professional pictures off the lobby they are at least 14 years old but the lobby has the same wallpaper and carpets .Some off the carpet on the stairs is now threadbare .My room was in the newer part (built 1997) the room was repainted since it was built but the furnishing including the curtains are the original .The folding door on the shower was broken ,the handle on the toilet was broken the radiator had rust on it .I stayed for two nights in September ,there was a hurricane blowing outside with 80 mile per hour winds the temperature outside was 14 C but the townhouse didn't put the heating on .I decided to use the stairs in the new section ,it was filthy .The cooked breakfast was a bit off a poor effort .Toast was available but you have to ask for it .

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back .
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Irishpup

Reviewed August 28, 2011

I had stayed here with friends in 2009 and all was lovely. The hotel is walking distance to everything, staff is friendly, food was good. Unfortunately this time the room was not clean, mould in bathroom, breakfast was mediocre, hairdryer hose was broken -- get the picture? Also, they no longer serve dinner. When we notiied the desk about the hairdryer, they sent up a new one. The hotel was full so we didn't ask for a new room. When checking out, the gal at front desk said we should have told her about the mould and dirt and someone would have taken care of it. Seems to me they should have taken care of it before they rented the room.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank patjohan
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We couldn’t wait to get back again after last years holiday and we weren’t disappointed.
We got a lovely welcome at reception on arrival and were shown to a beautiful bright clean room. It didn’t take us long to get our bearings again with the help of the hotels very friendly staff. We felt very safe and secure staying here knowing reception is manned 24 hours a day. It’s an amazing location just a short stroll from O’Connell Street at a great price.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank doris c
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We had a fab time staying here, only a walk away to great night life and the shops, so no taxis!
Our room was bright an clean and we had a lovely big breakfast every morning.
The staff were fantastic and very helpful in advising us on the best pubs and clubs in the area.
Overall we had a great time and will be back soon.
PS airport bus stops right outside.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dee D D
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Lovely hotel full of character,
Bright clean room,
Friendly reception,
Good big breakfast,
Great location,
Airport bus at front door,

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank annlynch27
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Hi, there. I had done a lot of researching here & on Frommer's and came across the Townhouse as a well-reviewed value for lodging in Dublin prior to and after our escorted tour (with Paddywagon Tours). I wanted a place close to the Paddywagon office, close to Dublin's main sites, and affordable. This place fit the bill completely. We were able to walk a short distance to our tour office before & after our tour. We could walk to pubs (esp. O'Shea's), to some mild souvenir shopping, to food areas, and to the pick up/drop off areas of the busses and other transportation options in the heart of Dublin.

They offer a free/included breakfast in the morning that was very generous and tasty. People at the front desk and in the breakfast area were all very friendly and helpful. The room (we had a room with 2 singles as it was me and a girlfriend on this tour) was comfortable and had all the necessary items. We had, as recommended by others in my researches, requested a room in the new annex area. This meant we had to go through a ways to the back of the building, and up an elevator to get to our room. This was not a problem but be aware that the waiting area around the elevator was really, really rank with the smell of stale cigarette smoke. And, sadly, wifi didn't work way back in our room. It did work out towards the elevator area, where there was a chair so one could sit, and down in the lobby areas, where there were often youth/young people socializing. This property is connected to the hostel, and shares the breakfast areas with it. I had bought and brought with me an international electrical adapter that was supposed to work, but had no luck. My travel buddy, luckily, had a better outcome with hers. We failed to use the adaptor thingee with it and I ended up frying my large barrel curling iron! So, beware or be prepared for potential electrical difficulties if coming from the US to Ireland....as we encountered this all places we stayed at.

If you're looking for a value-minded place to lay your head, and if you don't require a lot of pampering or high-end ammenities, this might be a place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer area if you want less noise, older area if you want more
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank hilltopfamily
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed at the Townhouse one night in July and 3 nights in August with my boyfriend. The location is perfect within walking distance of the city centre, true that the area might be a little dodgy, but the street is lined with B&Bs, so I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. It can be quite noisy at night though.
The staff was just great and super friendly and helpful. The rooms could use a little update, there was a tile missing in the bathroom and a lamp shade missing in the room, but it was clean and relatively cheap.
My only issue is the greasy breakfast served in a noisy cantine style room.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple