“Not Bad :)”

Ranked #100 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Surrey, Canada
“Not Bad :)”
Reviewed December 18, 2007

It is very clean and my single room was spacious compared to the one I stayed at in London. There was a safe, TV, tea, decent bathroom, a little closet, and a small table.
After I was allowed to check in, I couldn't figure out the electricity - you must slide your room card into the little box... I was a bit taken aback at the staffs rudeness, but the next day the staff was very friendly and jolly so it might have just been a bad day.
The breakfast is cooked buffet - be there early to get a spot, I couldn't eat one morning because the dining room was full and there was no where to sit! It is a good breakfast, so don't miss it!
I was a bit nervous being single female walking back to the hotel alone at night, because after the shops close, the street heading down to the hotel gets a bit dodgey.
The bus stop is Right in front of the hotel, you can sit on the steps and wait if you like! The bus took me straight to the airport!
Take a good map if you arrive via train or bus, Dublin is confusing (especially if you're jet-lagged!)
This was middle of the road, but I think pretty good for what Dublin has to offer in the mid-range bracket. I felt safe in my room and slept good. My room overlooked a nice little garden.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank SunnyD2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Galway
Reviewed November 14, 2007

I've stayed here about 5 times now, I quite like the place despite the fact that I have a few reservations about it. First of all let me say that if you are looking for a central location in Dublin without spending a fortune then this is the place for you.
Firstly the price of the accomodation is ok, about 60euros pp, however a double room for 120euro is a bit too much given that there is little difference between the size of the single and double rooms except fot the fact that the beds are MARGINALLY bigger (I should mention that I've stayed in both). Rooms are quaint, nicely decorated and clean, bathrooms are very good and there never seems to be any problem with hot water. The only problem I had was that the rooms on the rear side of the hotel are that little bit less heated than the ones at the front. Minor fault, I know, but when its cold in Dublin its REALLY cold!!!
Breakfast is brilliant if you like the fry up, and the staff in the breakfast hall are fantastic, one noticed that I had a cup of tea on the table for a while and she came over and heated it up for me. Its the little things that count!
Check out time is 11 but they're nice about it, half 11 won't be much of a problem if you're hungover.
They offer a free and safe baggage holding facility for guests, it's so handy if you want to go shopping the day you're leaving.
Taxi's pass by every minute and theres a bus stop right outside the door.
Overall this is a fantastic little hotel for short stays in Dublin, a bit more comfortable than most guesthouses and thats reflected in the price but, again its well worth it

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Coldness of room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Tommy14
London
Reviewed October 29, 2007

A conveniently placed hotel - just a short walk from the centre of Dublin. Excellent value for money. Modern designed rooms that may not be large but are certainly sufficiently equipped. The noise varies - even in the Courtyard the not-so-sweet sound of karoke can be intrusive on some nights. Breakfast was reasonable and the dining room gave off a friendly atmosphere. A good choice for those travelling on a budget but still wanting reasonable accommodation.

• Stayed September 2007
1 Thank sunshineliz
Atlanta
Reviewed September 30, 2007

After an exhaustive search of Dublin accommodations my girlfriend and I selected The Townhouse, based primarily on price, followed by decent reviews from previous travelers. I must say that except for the location and spotless linens, we were let down on most other fronts. Because of other reviews, we were smart to request a "quiet" room upfront, prior to our arrival, and we were obliged with a room facing the interior courtyard. We slept with the Juliet balcony door open and had no problems with noise.

As for the disappointments:
- The front desk staff was shockingly and appalling unfriendly. Our requests were simple/normal - yet we felt as if our inquiries were a significant annoyance. Luckily, after a few encounters, we laughed and rolled our eyes before approaching the front desk staff because we knew the reception that awaited us.
- The bathroom shower stall and sink had a good bit of mildew. The bathroom, in general, could use a date with a good cleaner / disinfectant. The shower stall was very small - hard for a girl to shave her legs in!
- The trash bin in the main part of our room was not emptied for three days.
- The breakfast, included in the price, was OK. Warm OJ. No plain black tea.
- Our request for an extra trash can in our room could not be complied with -- the trashcans in the rooms are those annoyingly small ones with small bags that fill quickly
- Our request for washcloths could not be complied with - the hotel has no washcloths; additionally, we could not have extra towels - each room has two large towels and two hand towels
- We had inquired prior to our arrival about the use of an electrical adapter - we were told "no problem," however it was a problem locating one and we were told that we would be charged $7US for one. In the end, we were not charged.

I'm sure that there is more but you get the gist.

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank Southern_View

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Ireland
Reviewed September 19, 2007

Central location makes this hotel very convenient for Connelly Station and the city centre. Ask for a room at the back or in the courtyard to avoid the noise from the busy road.

Characterful decor, rooms in the new part of the building on the small side but perfectly adequate, very clean and quiet.

Bathroom let down by the shower, a very high wall mounted nozzle in a small cubicle that had mildew, otherwise clean.

Breakfast was a hectic experience, the self-service system was swamped by the number of guests and the staff clearing tables couldn't keep up so we ate at a table where someone's else's dishes still sat. Food not great either.

• Liked — characterful architecture
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank IkeaYoukea
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed April 6, 2007

Good value for money. I stayed 2 consecutive nights, traveled around Ireland, came back to Dublin and stayed at the Townhouse again for 2 nights. They gave me a discount for coming back. The rooms are small, but comfortable and clean. The walls are thin though. I'm a light sleeper, and earplugs did the job. The breakfast is pretty decent and huge--it's enough to fill you up until lunch. I would definitely go back.

• Liked — Location and value
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled solo
2 Thank foadie
Cork
Reviewed February 22, 2007

I stayed here with two friends. As students, we were on a very limited budget. W shose the Townhouse because my father had stayed there before and had not stopped talking about the breakfast since!!

I initially used their website to enquire and a prompt reply assured me that a triple room was available for 140euro, 1 night b+b. I then phoned to make the booking, and was told that they did not offer rooms for one night. Confused, I checked the e-mail and rang back. I got the same response from a different person, but once I explained the e-mail my booking was made.

It took us about 15mins to get from O' Connell St to the Townhouse, but would have taken a shorter amount of time had my friend not been wearing heels!! We arrived before check-in time but were allowed to check in straight away.

The room was small but comfortable, with one double bed and one single. The view was out onto a courtyard, and also into rooms across the way!! A TV, phone and booklet containing information on taxis, etc, were in the room. The bathroom was small but the shower was great. The tap in the sink soaked us all, but maybe the third time it was our own fault for wanting to wash our hands!!!!

The reception kindly booked a taxi for us and informed us that we shoul leave an hour in advance as traffic would be bad. 5mins after entering the taxi we arrived at the Gaeity!!

The night staff were lovely and greeted us jokingly when we arrived back before 2!! Breakfast was plentiful but i thought that, because i didn't want all of the cooked items, the girl could have given me a bit more. I would advise getting up early to get a seat!

The Townhouse is clean and good value for money, and i did not hear any of the noise other people complained about. I would stay here again (although I wont be on my next trip because the Clarion gave me a better deal!!!)

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Booking over the phone
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends