“Big disappointment, avoid”
Review of The Leeson Hotel

The Leeson Hotel
Ranked #114 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 16, 2012

On arrival the greeting was less than friendly. Parking is in the courtyard behind the hotel, not very easy to find, and you will probably get blocked in. On checking in I was told they could not accept cards as they had a problem, but looking at the sign on the desk, this has been going on for a while. When I enquired about the restaurant, I was told it was not open, but the bar was on Thurs, Fri, and Sat. Oh dear, it was only Wednesday. The room is OK, en suite very cramped, TV is a small portable, and picture quality is so poor it is impossible to watch. The bed side light does not work. This place has the feel it is on its last legs, and needs some serious investment. It may be reasonably priced, but there are better hotels out there. Only saving grace is FREE WIFI.

Room Tip: Ask a lot of questions before booking, do NOT book using the web until you have spoken to them.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed May 12, 2012

First time in Dublin and a whole week in the last week of april to see this lovely city. And the Leeson hotel was recommended by the online travel agency - so far so good.
The location is superb, close to almost "everything". But the hotel itself was disapointing. The elevator is so small you have to choose: either you or your luggage. The doubleroom was ok, but when switching on the light in the bathroom the fan turned on and made an irritating noice. This was especially irriating if using the bathroom in the night and the other person asleep woke up. Even more irritating was it that the bathroom door couldn't be closed. The level of cleanliness could be better, one week without vacuming and you begin to see the footprints, especially when the carpet is dark brown...
The continental breakfast was good, especially the dark bread they served. But it was freezing cold in the eating area wich was the bar with a roof of glass. Just remember to bring a jacket or a sweather to breakfast.
We were warned about the noice from the nightclub on beforehand, and having a room on the third floor, we didn't mind. Even if it continued until really small hours. Only sunday and monday night was quiet.
But what was of the greatest disappointment was the staff. Us beeing experienced travellers, have never met a staff that was so totally and completly uninterrested in their guests. During one week, none of them ever spoke to us first, they never greeted helo or good morning or showed any interest in anything. As the days went by this was so special that we found it amusing. Entering the reception every morning on our way to breakfast we wandered: how loud do we ever have to say "good morning" to make the receptionist reply? I didn't succed. Once. They weren't unfriendly, they just weren't interrested. A rather peculiar attitude when working in a hotel. One week was enough. But Dublin was great!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This trip is the first time I have ever gone to Dublin, and wanted to go back home. I booked into this hotel, judging by the pictures on the website, and to spend quality time with my mom. I'll just cut my review short and say, greeted at the reception, signed in, and was told will not be getting a full irish breakfast for rate I paid, I am a regular traveller to Dublin and have paid less and sometimes slightly more, for bed and breakfast and never been told can't have the traditional hot irish breakfast, I was not happy, and was told by receptionist, 'then why didn't you go and stay somewhere else'. The website I booked on did not state only continental breakfast for price paid. I saw what the hotel were being paid for my booking on sheet when I signed and argued I had paid a lot more then what that showed, but receptionist was not going to empathise or compromise, so not customer care shown. We made our way to our room, and this is on a Wednesday afternoon, soaked from pouring rain, had to go back to reception as heater in the room was making a banging noise that could be heard out on corridor and down stairs to lobby. The receptionist did agree this, and offered us another room, double bed and smaller, but for peaceful night sleep had to take it, then the next night we moved to another room with twin beds which is what we paid for. Now the breakfast, very basic, white bread (hard), ham, cheese, tea coffee, cereals, jam, marmalade, if it wasn't for the brown soda bread, I wouldn't have eat there. All guests looked gloomly sitting in what is the bar, for breakfast, self service, we asked for heating to be put on, after having to fetch our coats, you eat breakfast in a conservatory adjoined to the bar area, imagine a conservatory in winter with no heating on. By Thursday night the bar was hired for private party, medical society, the noise from the music in the bar, nevermind the nightclub, was horrendous, absolutely banging, we headaches within minutes, I called to the reception and was told they cannot do anything about it, the bar and club are different management, although they are part of the hotel premises, I argued this fact, and the fact that we are hotel residents, she said she would go ask, the receptionist called back to us and told us the bar manager said no. I then threatened to call the Guarda (irish police). We got another call and the manager this time agreed to turn down. He did for about 30mins then it was back up, we were told to use ear plugs, which coincidently they have in reception ready for guests! The next morning went back down to breakfast, with coats, and went to sit at one of the tables, had to brush bits of my chair, and got a sharp pain in finger, when looked, my finger was cut, it was glass, broken glass was all around the floor, and trailed across the main floor to where the food was set out, I immediately went to the receptionist and told her, had to ask for a plaster, straight away she was onto the staff, but my finger was not checked on again, and no apology, or any accident form filled out. We then had Friday evening and if we though the music the night before was bad, well Friday night went on till at least 5am, taxis beeping horns, lining up outside hotel, groups of people going, never again. I left the place feeling very disappointed, and also I noticed my coat was full of dust, I think I left the place, dustier then when I went in. I don't blame the staff, I blame the owner's, the receptionists changed with the shifts, but the breakfast staff, were the same 3 girls, who also had to clean the hotel from top to bottom, the sheets on the beds were very white, but then they are sent out to be cleaned, but there was no dusting done. There was dust top to bottom in this hotel, and the reception area carpet was not hoovered, or dusted, and how can staff not see broken glass all over the floor and around the seats and tables? I won't be staying there again, and our room was on the 3rd floor, heaven knows how people on the first floor slept, plus every guest regardless of what they paid, were told their price did not include a full Irish breakfast, unless paid for, nobody was ordering it. I have been travelling to Dublin since a young age with parents, and am very familiar with the bed and breakfast service, and like I say, will definitely be checking my next booking with regards to what breakfast I am going to be getting in the price.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LMWolverhampton
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

I was apprehensive about booking here after reading some of the reviews but we were pleasantly surprised. Firstly it was only €40 through LateRooms which is such a bargain in Dublin. It's a 10 min walk from Temple Bar in a safe, quiet part of town near St Stephen's Green - a lovely park that is a must see.

The staff were all very helpful & polite. We were warned about the club, although it was a Sunday & Monday night so not usually on she said but they had parties on this week. However we didn't hear a single noise. Not sure if it's because we were 3 floors up at the back but my boyfriend looked out the window one night about midnight to where the bar is, as that is at the back, and didn't notice anything.

Rooms were reallt clean & ours had a big, bright window. Rooms come with clean towels, tea/coffee & toiletries.

Breakfast was basic - cereal, toast, coffee, juice - but included in the price & could upgrade at a cost.

Good wifi throughout the hotel & lots of space to sit downstairs if need to work etc.

Would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I often stay here when I'm in Dublin. The hotel is cheap and cheerful, with friendly staff and rooms perfectly acceptable for the price (when I stayed in March 2012 for one night, this was £30). The place is not far away from the centre of Dublin - walkable in around 10 mins.

One of the best deals in town!

Room Tip: Rooms higher up are perhaps preffered - Leeson Street does get a tad noisy at night.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ijhodgson
Reviewed March 19, 2012

booked this hotel for st paddys weekend with my friend, after reading some reviews i was a little dubious but on arrival found the hotel staff very helpful and rooms basic but very clean. found the bar and the nightclub to have good atmosphere overall great weekend and at the end of the day you pay for what you get. booking again for next year......

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ghirl77
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Location is not bad and not too far away from downtown. Rooms are rather expensive and small with a tiny old fashioned TV set. Quality of the bed is on the limit. Breakfast is standard without any highlights but you can have coffee as much as you want. During weekends music from a disco during all night, which may disturb sleep in some rooms.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple