“WORST EXPERIENCE DON'T STAY”
Review of The Leeson Hotel

The Leeson Hotel
Ranked #114 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I found this Hotel/B&B the worst stay I have ever had in my life in any establishment even a hostel is better!!. I was never once informed that the nightclub would be open on a Wednesday night and that the noise/music would echo through my room nor that about 100+ students would be hanging out in the street just outside my window screaming and shouting. On top of that the fire alarm went off on two occasion after 12am and then again at 1.30am. It was after 3.30am that the noise stopped and I could sleep. I did not recieve any form of apology nor any breakfast even though it is included in my rate. I have sent email to the hotel and still have not recieved any apology... It is the most shabbiest hotel as well bed was full of black little dots on the sheets and no remote control, water was cold, people were banging on my door half way through the nite!! WORST STAY IN ANY ESTABLISHMENT..

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed September 22, 2011

The hotel itself was very dated and shabby looking, dark corridors and creaking old stairs, the room was okay once we got through the awkward noisy doors, apart from being very small and basic but a bit grotty, they could definitely do with a facelift. The bathroom was disgusting, mouldy roof which smelled and a shower that didn’t work, terrible. We were only stopping for the weekend so made do, but you wouldn’t want to stop any longer, especially for the money that was paid. Also it was very noisy Saturday night as the bright spark that owns the hotel has built a nightclub next door! Why would you? So we had that banging away to the early hours, thankfully we got back late so it wasn’t too much of a problem.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2011

The hotel staff were indifferent, the room was okay and clean but the bathroom was tiny. The nightclub on a Friday and Saturday started aroung midnight and didnt give up till around 3, then all the clubbers stand in front of the hotel shouting and talking till about 5, taxis jostling with horns going, finally slept around 5.30 which ruined our last day as we were so tired. Breakfast was toast and cheese and ham, not worth getting up for when you have been kept awake all night. Location was good but just did not make up for the noise.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2011

It was the better half's birthday and I decided to get a hotel for us to to be able to attend a the function, have a couple drinks, not require a taxi and to have the night out. Dublin was very busy that night and I found it difficult to get a hotel at a decent price. I originally found The Leeson Inn two doors down, but I couldn't book as I had no credit card available- only a debit card. After much searching I settled for The Leeson Hotel after I saw a special online: €59 for a double room with continental breakfast. It was getting close to the time, and I was stuck for a place, so I went with it. It was an average price, but I thought from the attractive exterior, the modern pub it is attached to and the photographs that I had done well, but I was wrong.

Two days prior I tried to get a look at the rooms, but I couldn't as they were full. But I went ahead with the room (as it was booked and because I couldn't cancel it). On the day I arrived to the room. Check-in was easy and I paid upfront in cash. I was on the top floor, so I travelled up in the lift, which holds no more than two people. I arrived on the floor and tried to open the door, with a lock that was screwed back on and was hard to open. This first set my pulse racing. I entered the room, and it was tiny. Even for a city hotel.

On the right there was the bathroom: purely a toilet with no space around it, and a minuscule shower- barely enough for one person. The sink was on the far side of the small room. On the table there was a lamp, and a small TV. A little kettle was there with two sachets of tea and one coffee, with three portions of UHT milk. Under the sink there was a cabinet, but inside it were pipes, broken wood and dirt. Naturally, I kept this closed for this reason. The bed had fresh linen and was well made, but the wardrobe was merely an open press with a rail and two or three hangers. The carpet was fine, and there was a mirror on the wall and a strange looking picture.

I found the quality to be very poor. As much as it looks modern and updated on the outside, the hotel is very tired and simply old. Reception is basic, but as you enter the stairs, lift and doors are old. The rooms are the same, only with a lick of paint and fresh linen. Overall it was a very poor experience. But, breakfast was worse. It's served from 8am - 10am in the adjoining pub. The selection was some bread (obviously from the fridge), an old-school toaster, a couple of slices of cheap white cheese and some processed ham. There is a hot water tap for sachets of tea again, and an old coffee pot.

€59 might strike you as a good deal, and usually it would be, but even at that price I was fairly done. I was tight for money, as we all are, but this was robbery to be honest. The location is clearly the only reason that they can charge so much. Rooms were clean, but old, small and grotty in parts, the hotel was ancient and in need of a serious revamp and the breakfast was atrocious. I have never written such a harsh review, but I am being completely honest: I would hate someone to was their money on this. I regret not booking somewhere outside of town (taxi is probably worth it for the comfort of a better hotel).

I have been on TA for some time now, but really do avoid this. I hate writing such a scathing review, but I need to be honest. Location and the photographs are the best thing going for it. Avoid, really.

Room Tip: Lower rooms may be better- I'm not sure. Best of all, go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Hotel was an easy walking distance to the city center.The room was clean,had a balcony.The bathroom was tiny but O.K .Private gated parking at the rear of the Hotel was a bonus.Breakfast was very good .

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank billking1105
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Dreary room, small very narrow bathroom, off-hand reception, no offer of help with our bags up to the 3rd floor, very noisy position on McConnell Street, did not get to sleep all night with the noise outside (pubs all turning out, taxis honking, people on the street talking and shouting ALL night), no restaurant or room service, even had to ask the young man on reception to at least hold the door open for us as we attempted to get our bags to the outside when we left at 6:00am to get to the ferry terminal. Either park the car and pay for all night at parking meter or park it in an open space they have two doors down but they would not take any responsibility if any damage was done or the car stolen.

Room Tip: If all the rooms were like the one we were in I would not recommend any room at all
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Avoid on weekends, the street is just car horns and people yelling at each other due to the nearby nightclubs. Room was dirty. Bedspread stained and the first half hour of my stay was scrubbing mould off the shower curtain. Breakfast ok but basic. Staff weren't particularly helpful. Tiny rickety elevator was to be avoided. Overall wasn't that great and should definitely be advertised as a two and a half star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011