“Excellent location and friendly staff”

Anchor House Dublin
Ranked #24 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Excellent location and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

After doing tons of research on where I should stay for two nights in Dublin, I finally settled on the Anchor Guest House and I'm glad I did! The location of this place is great-truly around the corner from the main bus station (which you can easily get to from Dublin Airport via the Airlink bus) and just north of the River Liffey. I got there around 11a after a long flight and, although my room wasn't ready yet, I was greeted warmly and invited to leave my luggage while I left to start exploring. When I did get to check-in a few hours later, I found a nice, clean room with an equally clean bathroom. I was surprised at the size of the bed at first as I thought it was a king, but it turned out to be two twins connected to make a king (or at least that's what it felt like). The bed wasn't uncomfortable, but it was a bit too hard for my liking, but that's a risk you run at every hotel. The en-suite was very nice and clean, but also very small. I'm not a short person, so I found it difficult to use the cubicle-like shower, but I managed. The only other issues I experienced with the hotel were the lack of a lift (stairs are tough with a heavy bag to carry!) and the fact that the wifi didn't work at all. I did bring the wifi issue up with someone on staff, but he wasn't sure what to do, so he asked me to troubleshoot, which I did, but it didn't work. I was able to connect to another network though, so it worked out.

Despite these few smaller issues, I still had a great stay. The breakfast in the morning was good, but not great. And, as others have pointed out, there are no meat options (sausage, ham, bacon, etc.) on the menu. I didn't mind that, but it's worth pointing out. With a great location, a great staff and an overall comfortable experience, I would recommend the Anchor Guest House!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank JeffE1982

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Frimley Green, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

My sister and I visit Dublin once a year and found this family run guest house by chance several years ago and after our first visit wouldn't stay anywhere else.
We always receive a warm Irish welcome and are made to feel at home.
The rooms are spotlessly clean and the beds are very comfortable.
Breakfast is generous and served until 10.30 every day.
The location is ideal as it's a few minutes walk to the main bus station and 10 minutes walk to Connolly station and being in the heart of Dublin most places are easily accessible on foot.
We always have peace of mind as there's someone there 24 hours a day to let you in so can come and go as you please without a curfew to worry about.
Anyone who wants an Irish welcome should come here as it's a traditional Georgian guest house without the clinical feel of a big chain hotel.
The Anchor is great value and we would highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Bologna, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

We had a great time at Anchor Guesthouse: our room was very clean and beds comfortable, breakfast very very good, and all people was polite and very nice, always available to give infos. Absolutely my best accomodation in a foreign country. When we're back to Dublin, we'll stay there again for sure.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

Travelling with friends following a band on tour, this little guest house was a great place to start. Whilst it was no frills/basic, the staff were friendly and always willing to help.
The main house has no lift so as my room was on the top floor it was a hike, especially after a few drinks. As we were lucky to have good weather, my room was very hot and opening the window did mean a lot of traffic noise.
This place was basic but welcoming.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Menlo Park, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

On B&B row near the bus station and within walking distance of all major tourist sites in downtown Dublin! The staff was very friendly and answered all my questions and provided a very clear map of the area. The bathroom was very compact, but it worked and the room was one of the largest of the 14 B&Bs I stayed in on my trip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Centrahotel, Guest Relations Manager at Anchor House Dublin, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Thanks for you kind comments. Its always lovely to get positive feedback.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

We stayed two nights at Anchor Guest House. Easy walking distance to downtown Dublin (Trinity College/Temple Bar areas). It is a pretty far walk to the Guinness Storehouse. The rooms were large and very comfortable. The breakfast menu was very basic, just enough to get your day started. Situated on a busy street, there is some noise at all hours.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank kevina994
THank you for your response. We are located in a very central place in the centre of Dublin close to all of the main Districts. Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

We stayed here for our first night in Dublin before we drove to the west coast. We were able to store our luggage since our room was not ready yet (it was still early). The person who checked us in was very nice. She gave us helpful directions about how to get to the places we wanted to see. When we got back and were able to check in, the room that we stayed in was average. It was spacious but absolutly no view. The breakfast was not worth the money that we paid so SKIP the breakfast. I am sure that you can get something from somewhere else alot better for alot less money. This place felt neutal to me. I did not love it but I did not hate it but I did NOT like the breakfast.

• Stayed April 2010