“It's the little things.....”

Anchor House Dublin
Ranked #24 of 149 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at Anchor House in Dublin for one short night. I had just come off a Paddywagon Tour and preferred these accommodations to "Paddy's Palace" which was hostel style. When I arrived the gentleman who checked me in was very kind. It was late at night and he gave me info about wifi and how to get to the bus station the next morning. (The bus station is VERY close ++++.) While speaking to him, I mentioned that I would like to do laundry but was unable to find facilities for it. He offered the B&B's laundry service for only 8 Euros a load. He did my laundry that night and when I woke up-- it was done. That was such a help!

My room was clean and big. I was on the second floor so wifi reception wasn't amazing but it worked. The bathroom was en suite and decent. The breakfast was okay.

There was mention in other reviews that I have read that the neighborhood isn't that nice. It made me nervous before I got there, but I do not agree. I found the neighborhood to be fine and I felt totally safe inside the B&B. I'm from NYC so maybe my idea of a bad neighborhood is different than other people's, but I thought it was okay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I booked Anchor House for a one night stay through Trivago - we were looking for a good value room with a central location, parking and wifi, so it seemed to fit the bill. The info on Trivago suggested reserving parking as space was limited, so I called to check availability before booking (all fine) and went ahead. We did get a bit of a nasty surprise when we turned up though - there was a €20 surcharge (I know parking in central Dublin is at a premium, but still). Seemingly this is clear on their website, however I doubt many people would book through this directly and I was annoyed that I wasn't told about it on the phone.

I was then told that I needed to leave my car keys ("In case we need to move it"), which was a little odd, as it's not exactly valet parking. When we got to the room, it was clean and comfortable enough, however we discovered there was no wifi available in the rooms (surely a no brainer in 2013 for a centrally located B&B/hotel in a European capital city). Upon going out we also had to leave our room key and were told to ring the doorbell to gain entry again (not a major inconvenience but somewhat archaic). As for the room that night, it was generally fine (no complaints about the bed), though there seemed to be a lack of hot water in the shower. Luckily it's currently Ireland's brief summer, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but still disappointing. Room was pretty noisy as well, but to be fair this is mainly down to the location and tolerance will depend on what you're used to. Staff on check-in were friendly enough but what I assume were the owners on check-out were somewhat surly.

In the end the parking charge turned out to have been reduced to €10 and as the room was fairly cheap, this wasn't a huge deal, but if I'd known in advance about this and the lack of wifi in rooms, I would have just spent the extra €20 or so and booked a proper hotel. Don't think we'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel that was recommended by Lonely Planet. The hotel has a pleasant entrance and lovely sitting and dining room. If you book with the hotel directly, they will include an Irish breakfast. My room, located in the modern addition, was very comfortable and spotlight. The room and ensuite bathroom are very large by European standards.

The hotel has a few places for improvements. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the hotel's wifi service needs improvement. The signal does not really reach that well into the rooms (especially in the modern addition). This can easily be remedied by installing router boosters in that part of the hotel. Many hotels and other hotels now have strong wifi in the rooms -- that is expected now in hotels, especially with business travelers.

The breakfast was average. I wasn't expecting top-quality based on other reviewers. However, the breakfast served the purpose and was filling. There is also a nice trolley with a continental breakfast to choose from.

The showers' temperature and water pressure need attention. As other reviewers mentioned, the pressure sometimes slows to a trickle and the water temperature fluctuates wildly.

The hotel has a rather strange system where you have to give your key to the front desk upon leaving the building, and then ask to be buzzed into the building and then request your key back when you come back (your ID is not checked). I appreciate the security measures, but I've stayed in many hotels around the world and I've never encountered this system before. I would encourage the hotel to investigate a less clunky system. Presumably, if the hotel is able to be entered through a keycard, residents could receive a keycard upon registering and then use the card to access the buiding, thus eliminating the need for the key collection/doorbell system.

If the hotel addresses the water and wifi system especially, I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: You might ask for a room in the older part of the building if you want to be in the historic Georgia...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank fritty
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Anchorhouse fr May 29 to June 3, and found it to be in a convenient location. It's a block away fr the central bus station and a short walk to the Convention center where I needed to be. Around the corner is a really nice pub, The Celt, and a pizza place, Papa Pizzeria, that is open till 12mn. It is also a stone's throw away fr Paddy Palace, where the Paddywagon tour starts.
The best thing about them though is the service. Kudos to the friendly and helpful staff. The room I stayed in was charming and comfortable. The flight of stairs might be difficult to manage for older folks or even young ones with heavy backs so try to get a room on the first floor.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Well positioned in Dublin, close to the bus station, O'Connell St, and 10 min walk to Temple Bar. Easy to access the Luas (tram) to visit Kilmainham Gaol.

The B&B is run by really nice people who are only too willing to help. We had room 6 on the second floor, quite large, clean and comfortable. Only minor issue was low water pressure for the shower, but we coped ok.

Breakfast is fine, cereal, toast, fruit, tea and coffee, plus a cooked breakfast was available. This place is good value in Dublin.

2  Thank Alan Lauri P
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We walked in off street to book for a night before flying to Spain.Room was great. Location was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff on duty.They arranged to do our washing before we left and helped me print out last minute plane tickets. Highly recommend this hotel!

1  Thank Sandra K
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here for one night prior to starting a Paddywagon tour and found it to be very well located and well priced. However, the rooms were not large and our view into the rear lane and the couple sleeping rough out the back were not that memorable. Staff were great and very helpful, room was clean, but not large. Was a bit taken aback that breakfast did not start until 8am though, an earlier start would be very helpful.

1  Thank Roger S