“Excellent Hotel, But If Driving Be Prepared!”
Review of The Westbury

The Westbury
Ranked #6 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed May 30, 2010

The Westbury Hotel is an excellent luxury hotel with a lot of little touches that add up to an excellent experience. Our recent stay there highlighted the good news/bad news relating to its much-touted location in bustling downtown Dublin. The hotel is one half block off of Grafton Street, which is a pedestrian only avenue devoted to shopping and usually jammed with people during the day. Grafton ends to the north at Trinity College, one of the tourist highlights of Dublin, and most of what is interesting in Dublin is also within reasonable walking distance. That's the good news. The bad news comes into play if you are driving to the hotel. We had spent the week down in Southwest Ireland and innocently made plans to just drive on into Dublin and get out at the hotel and park the car there. Well, having driven extensively in New York City, Washington, DC, Phiadelphia, Los Angeles, etc. in the states, I can tell you that driving in Dublin is triple the challenge. And just using a map to get to the Westbury will get you to the general vicinity, but no where near the front door. The streets are so convoluted, and there are so many one-ways, that without planning akin to what preceeded the invasion of Normandy on D-Day or the launch of Apollo 11 to the moon, you are going to end up going around in circles, desparately trying to get to the hotel. We ended up just parking in a commerical car park some blocks from the hotel, getting out and walking and then getting directions from the concierge on how to go back to the car and then drive the car park to the hotel. It turns out that even with the precise directions we had to make concentric circles around the whole of downtown Dublin to finally end up going the right way on some small streets to finally be able to turn down the even narrower little street that takes you to the hotel front door.

So, the moral of this story is don't plan on driving to the Westbury unless you are a Dublin native or spend hours pouring over maps, briefing a trusted navigator, gearing up your nerves and then -- if possible -- drive in at about 400 am in the morning before the mad bus drivers of Dublin get to work.

But, as has been noted in these reviews, the hotel is splendid in general, the rooms very well appointed, and the services and "little things" done up very well. The Westbury's lobby is on the second floor, and when we finally got there we found the delightful spectacle of a room full of upscale, prosperous looking people having elegant high tea. No charge for internet is a decided plus. Of course, keep in mind that The Westbury is a luxury hotel, so expect to pay room rates accordingly.

The only other downer had to do with bell staff. We left early on Sunday morning, and when we called for our car the apparently only individual behind the desk indicated that the (only one on duty?) bell staff was helping a group check out and it would be a while to get our car. I began to agitate due the high anxiety inculcated by the experience of our initial attempts to navigate Dublin traffice and get to the hotel and visions of getting hopelessly adrift again upon leaving and missing our flight. The man behind the desk did his best to handle the situation, ultimatley calling the bell staff guy over and getting him to abandon the other bags in order to get our car -- and dropping the parking charge from our bill. Presumably early Sunday morning is not normally a highly busy time for the Westbury, but i would say they were understaffed on this particular Sunday. (And with detailed directions, we made it to the airport with minimal trouble).

In general, the Westbury is an excellent upscale place to stay in Dublin once you get there.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank newjerseycommentator
WestburyGM, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2010

Dear NewJersey Commentator,

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete your detailed Tripadvisor review regarding your recent stay with us here at The Westbury Hotel Dublin. Your kind comments were welcomed by the entire team. As one of the Leading Hotels of the World, The Westbury aims to offer a unique experience in standards of hospitality, service and, now more than ever, elegance and style.

I was most disappointed to learn of the difficulties you experienced whilst trying to locate the hotel by car. To assist our guests with directions, we have included on our website an in-depth map, as well as written directions from all major locations, including Dublin Airport, Dun Laoghaire, Busarus and Dublin Port.

It is my goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future. If there is anything else I can be assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Glenn_valentine@doylecollection.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,142)

Reviewed May 30, 2010

I came to Dublin for a business trip, it was my first trip to Ireland. I always dreamed of coming to Ireland, and I will always remember the friendliness of the Westbury Hotel staff, who really took care of me and my colleagues from the U.S. and Asia. The morning breakfasts were delicious, the lunches & afternoon tea time were just fabulous. The night staff always had friendly answers to our endless questions, and were totally attentive to our needs as a group. The night staff suggested excellent restaurants and hang out spots in the vicinity. Will definitely Come Back and bring back my business team again and again!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Qhuda

Dear Qhuda,

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete your most kind review regarding your recent stay with us here at The Westbury Hotel Dublin. I am delighted to hear that your stay with us was a most enjoyable one. I can assure you that your kind words are greatly appreciated by the entire team. Our goal is to “surprise” and “delight” our guests and am confident that on this occasion we are able to do just this.

Reviewed May 30, 2010

You get what you pay for here - the only thing being that you really have to pay for it. The hotel was beautiful and as everyone else says the location is superb. There were 2 weddings on consecutive days at the hotel when we were there but you wouldn't even have known it there was no noise at all. Superb...I feel as though the hotel could provide free parking for people staying in the hotel however. The beds were lovely and compfortable but our superior room was a littel on the small side. However given the location - I don't see how this could be beaten...

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Horsesock

Dear Horsesock,

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete your most kind review regarding your recent experience with us in the Marble Bar, here at The Westbury Hotel Dublin. I am delighted to hear that your experience with us was a most enjoyable one.

I can confirm our pricing is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given our central location and extensive facilities. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that I am truly sorry. If there is anything else I can be assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed May 20, 2010

I just love the Westbury. It's my favourite little bit of luxury. This was my first time to take the children...and boy did they take to five-star like ducks to water! Our trip was mostly a shopping one, with a little sight-seeing, but mainly for the Christmas atmosphere. They always have a fabulous huge Xmas tree in the lobby, and really tasteful decorations everywhere. It's really lovely.
My husband and children arrived first, while I followed a little later after hitting Brown Thomas (alone..Heaven!). I received a text that they were in the bar..I arrived to find them huddled over a pot of hot chocolate and cakes, and a Guinness for the older child!! They were already loving it, organising the cups and saucers and taking turns to pour.
Onwards to our room, kids loving the seat in the elevator and the long corridor. Our room was perfect, 2 massive beds and as usual, everything perfect.
My main love is the quiet. I'm such a light sleeper that I'm really fussy where I stay, but there's never a sound in the Westbury. It's off street, and with the plush carpets, there's no passing noise in the hallways either.
We were on our way out in the evening when the Turndown service knocked, and the kids were amazed at the little slippers, (took them home as souvenirs), and the fact that the girl smoothed down the bed for them. One had just been jumping on it as the door was knocked, so she got a fright, but ended up getting pocket fulls of Butlers chocolate from the house keeping staff after-all..very funny.
Breakfast is good, a great choice. We didn't have lunch/dinner here just afternoon tea one day, and lounge food on the sofa's the first evening. Afternoon tea is the best in Dublin, voted by us four! Looking forward to returning to it as soon as I can.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank bikies_tour

Dear Bikies_Tour,

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete your most kind review regarding your recent stay with us here at The Westbury Hotel Dublin. I am delighted to hear that your stay with us was most memorable. Our aim is to provide our guest experience at The Westbury Hotel with a special sort of hotel luxury – one that combines cool, contemporary design with traditionally warm Irish hospitality and impeccable service.

Reviewed May 20, 2010

Beautiful hotel in a really great location. Perfect for shopping, socialising, romance, sightseeing and business. Staff were great and I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
WehManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Lyntin,

Thank you for having chosen to stay at The Westbury Hotel Dublin and thank you for having taken the time to review your experience of our renowned establishment on Tripadvisor.
Your opinion is important to us and your feedback is most appreciated indeed.
Comments from our guests allow us to carefully monitor and ensure the very best of standards associated with those of Leading Hotels Of The World.
I do hope that it will not be too long before I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Westbury Hotel and thank you once again for your comments and custom.

Kind regards,
Laura Farrington
Assistant Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed May 17, 2010

My husband and I have just had a wonderful stay in this hotel. The location is perfect , the staff very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was very good, with great choice. We will be definitely returning. Luxury at its best.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ATRDublin

Dear ATRDublin,

Your opinion is important to us and your feedback is most appreciated indeed.

Kind regards,
Laura Farrington
Assistant Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed May 13, 2010

I stayed at the hotel as part of a business trip. Initial impression was very good. Attentive staff when checking in, however I was told the only room that was ready at the time of checking in was a superior room, with walk in shower, but no bath. I had no problem with this. When however I arrived in my room, the room was actually set up for someone with special needs. Handrails in the bathroom and a shower seat and emergency call system set up beside the bed. Whilst this again is not a problem, I can understand why some mobility impaired or disabled guests feel that receive a poor service when travelling. On a good note, the bed was very comfortable and there was a good selection of TV stations. The Krupps coffee maker was a very welcome addition and the buffet breakfast was very nice. Whilst these were all positve points, I found many things to be sadly lacking or to be faulty. The toilet seat was broken. The sink was literally the size of a sink that you would find in a very small cloak room and the shower curtain was only partially on the rail, with most of it hanging off. The shower barely worked with literally a dribble of water coming out of the shower head. Part of the shower system was also broken. There was nowhere to put your wash items. Most hotel rooms have a good size bathroom with plenty of space to place wash bags etc and a full size sink. This bathroom literally had no counter space to put anything and I ended up putting items on the floor. I asked at reception for more milk having used the 2 tiny cartons that had been placed in my room. Following waiting 25 minutes in my room, I was presented with a full pint glass of milk. The Westbury hotel has a 5 star rating and yes the furnishings in the hotel lobbies and bars are of a very good standard and you can clearly see that some members of staff were working very hard to give good service, however the room I stayed in was far below 5 star standard and was very disappointing and clearly put a "damp" cloud on what i hoped would be a very pleasant and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank WylieUk
WestburyGM, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2010

Dear WylieUK,

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete your review regarding your recent stay with us here at The Westbury Hotel Dublin. I appreciate receiving all feedback, both positive and negative as this assists us in becoming better at what we do. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the unfortunate issues you experienced during your recent stay with us. I have personally spoken with our Accommodation Manager as I cannot condone any deviations from our usual high standards. You will be happy to know that, as a result of guest feedback like yours, we have implemented changes and improvements to our Accommodation procedures to ensure that the problems you encountered do not re-occur.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the shortcomings already highlighted by you. Again, I greatly appreciate your feedback, as it will assist my team in becoming better at what we do. As is the case with all businesses, the greatest advertising we can aspire to is that of word-of-mouth from satisfied customers.

It is my desire to retain you as a satisfied customer and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Please contact me personally before your next visit to the Westbury Hotel as I would be delighted to personally extend some of the Westbury's renowned hospitality.