“"Oh, my--very swank!"”

Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Iowa City, Iowa
“"Oh, my--very swank!"”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I'm a fan of small, friendly, quirky hotels, but I will make an exception for The Westbury. It's large, still friendly, but definitely not quirky. In fact, this Dublin Hotel could be located in any large, metropolitan city. Every amenity you might wish for is here in abundance. The room, though not large, was well-appointed, recently decorated, and extremely comfortable. I had a lovely night's sleep all three nights I was there, and that's what important when you're traveling. I like to be on a higher floor (and if you know Dublin, you know buildings are NOT tall there), but the second floor room presented no problems at all as far as noise level. The huge, glossy lobby with truly stunning fresh flower arrangements also had cozy corner tables and plush sofas and arm chairs, some by expansive windows overlooking the streets of the city. I found the desk staff to be businesslike yet quite approachable and always willing to help. I needed to re-book a transcontinental United flight in Business/First Class. This was done with a minimum of effort by the competent concierge who did NOT want to accept a generous tip for his efforts. I left one anyway, which he said would go into the common tip drawer to be shared by the concierge staff at week's end. Very nice of him. Breakfast was both sinful and plentiful, typical of the best Irish hotels. The fresh fruit was beautifully presented in small, perfect, seedless slices. Scones and chocolate croissants were light, flaky, and heavenly. Fresh juice and yogurt parfaits were cool and refreshing. It was perfectly suited to a busy time schedule, as you serve yourself. Coffee was strong and flavorful, frequently replenished. Real cream and Irish butter added to the luxury of a delightful morning repast. None of this luxury comes cheap, but if you want a first-rate experience, look no further than the Westbury. One final note: After dining out on the road so much, I was ready for room-service one evening. If you are an American craving a taste of home with an Irish accent, go for the Angus cheeseburger and fries. Again, it won't come cheap (with a nice tip and room service charge, it ran me 30 Euros), but the ridiculously thick, juicy patty on a sweet, brioche-style roll with all the trimmings and steak-cut crispy fries on the side was almost...well, let's just say I was glad to be alone as I ate so no one would be distracted by the "yummy" sounds I couldn't help making! It even came with a fresh flower in a vase, which I put on the nightstand to remind me of a spectacular meal. If you visit the Westbury, I am confident you won't be disappointed. It's well-situated near Trinity and is a quick walk to a plethora of luxury shops, pubs and dining establishments. And do yourself a favor--spend 30 Euros on the cheeseburger. I promise you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Always go as high as you can and stay as far away from the elevator as possible. I don't think t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank YourTravelingFriend
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you with us, thank you for choosing the Westbury Hotel during your recent visit to Dublin and thank you for your extensive review.

I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and you thought we were perfectly located to explore and enjoy our wonderful city. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your self so much and that the cheese burger was such a hit with you. I will pass your wonderful comments to the team to enjoy.

Your personal recommendation means the world to us here at the Westbury and I am delighted that you took the time to write about your stay.

We hope to welcome you back very soon !

Kind regards

Vincent O’Gorman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Interesting hotel, quite amazing bar, spacious great service and a lovely entrance with welcoming staff.

Central location in the heart of Dublin too

Rooms distinctly average - plush, perhaps but not stand out.

Breakfast - oh dear service with a snarl and SLOW

Is it worth over €200 per night - possibly not

Improve the rooms and then yes

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank southbank10
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at The Westbury Hotel.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post your review and we are delighted that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay,however I am disappointed that we failed to meet all your expectations. I would like to assure you that I will take your comments on board and address them accordingly, thank you for your feedback.

I hope we have the opportunity and the privilege of welcoming you back again on your next trip to Dublin.

Edmond, United States
Reviewed June 19, 2014

At 6 a.m., the end of a flight from Oklahoma USA, we needed a place to crash. Though our room wasn't yet available, the friendly staff provided more than we needed (couches, food, directions and info, etc.) during our hours-long wait.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review following your visit to us recently,

I am glad that we were able to facilitate your early arrival and that you managed to grab a power nap before heading out to enjoy the city. Our location is wonderful with all the shops restaurants and bars within walking distance to the hotel.

I am delighted that my colleagues were able to offer you assistance and recommendations to enjoy and thanks again for your great recommendations.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

india
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Our first time in Dublin.... A quaint city with oodles of oomph... And the Westbury only made it better! The hotel is located in the heart of the city... Everything is walking distance.... All the best bars, restaurants and shopping destinations. The rooms are fantastic, the staff helpful and courteous and the service top notch. Definately a hotel to recommend......

1 Thank travelindia09
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the great review posted yesterday and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Vincent O'Gorman
Stony Plain, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2014

This hotel is wonderfully located right off of Grafton street with lots of shopping,Bars and restaurants nearby.Dublin is very walk able and had no problems seeing all the sights and enjoying all the bars!! The room was very nice and big with a comfortable bed and a very comfortable sitting area. we enjoyed the nespresso machine in the morining and the turn down chocolates at night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robashwootton
Dear Guest

Many thanks for the kind review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with others on Trip advisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I have shared your kind words with all the team here at the Westbury and they join me in thanking you.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and thank you again for your great review.

Dublin 2
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights. The staff is well-trained and eager to please. My family was treated very well. Beautiful and luxurious room with every amenity. Food was excellent. The location is perfect for sight seeing and there are great restaurants nearby. This was our first trip to Dublin. We will stay at the Westbury again on our next trip to Ireland.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Charles A
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review following your recent five night stay at the Westbury Hotel.

I was really delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable time here and especially glad that you thought the team were welcoming and the service met your expectations.

We look forward to having you back again and I hope that we are now your number one choice of hotel when visiting Dublin.

Thank you again for your great review.

Vincent O'Gorman
Geneve
Reviewed June 17, 2014

First time in Dublin. Difficult to find by road as it is in the deep center of the city: walk only area.
However the room where big, nice, clean. Located very well, and quet, and the staff absolutely perfect.
Will get defitively back

1 Thank Alessandro D
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the wonderful review following your first visit to Dublin and for taking the time to tell other about your experience with us.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am genuinely thrilled that you thought the experience was so good and thank you for your recommendation to other travellers.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to what I hope is now your home away from home in Dublin.

Best wishes