“Lovely relaxing night in the city”
Review of The Westbury

The Westbury
Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely relaxing night in the city”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

After a busy run up to christmas myself and my husband decided to treat ourselves to a night in the city over christmas and as its so close to Grafton St we chose the Westbury Hotel. When we arrived at the hotel there was a lovely christmasy atmosphere with a big christmas tree greeting us at the top of the stairs. The staff at check in were very friendly and even showed us to our room. The room was lovely and very comfortable, I was just sorry we weren't staying for more than one night. I love the bathroom products they use they smell fab.
When we booked our stay at the hotel we also booked afternoon tea which I am so glad we did it as it was really busy the day we were there and the atmosphere was great. The table we had was also great for people watching!! The food was lovely and all the sweet treats came out in a hat box which was really different but great presentation. We washed it all down with a glass of bubbly!!!
The next morning at breakfast there was a great selection to choose from and we really enjoyed it, we were full until dinner. Will definitely be back and would recommend this hotel to any family and friends that are looking for somewhere to stay in the city.

1 Thank hgadolc
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Hgadolc

I am delighted to read that we not only met but exceeded all your expectations, it is exactly what we strive to achieve for every guest that visits the Westbury Hotel.

It is a real pleasure to read that everything about your stay was impressive and that we made your experience with us that little more special from the welcome on arrival to our wonderful afternoon tea on the Gallery, which is a great way to spend an afternoon and is perfect for people watching. We believe that all the little special details make the difference between a good stay and an exceptional stay.

I am very grateful for your kind feedback which is wonderful to receive and thank you for taking the time to tell others about your stay with us. May I take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy New Year and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in 2014.

Vincent O’Gorman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Westbury purports to be one of the world's leading hotels, but frankly we were underwhelmed.

I'll start with the positives. First, the location is absolutely perfect if you're visiting Dublin. Just off of Grafton Street (the city's high end shopping district), it is less than a block to great shopping and perhaps a 5 minute walk to many great restaurants in Dublin. The room we booked, a Deluxe, was spacious enough and very clean. Turndown service was the most impeccable and thorough that I've experienced - including straightening the washroom, setting out slippers on a foot-cloth, turning down the bed and leaving chocolates. Made all the difference when we returned from dinner each evening.

Additionally, both the Cafe Novo restaurant and the hotel's bar were very enjoyable. Cafe Novo served us a nice brunch - we both enjoyed our food (including a delicious scone that you should order!) and the price was very reasonable. The bar serves great cocktails - the Grey Gentleman was my favorite during our stay.

Now for the not-so-positive parts. First, the bathroom floor was freezing. Perhaps this would be fine at a lesser property, but we both noticed every time we walked in. The lobby, the halls, and the guest rooms are all just a bit... shopworn. Walking into the lobby feels underwhelming given the hotel's reputation and marketing, and the guest rooms feel the same. The furniture in our room was dented, etc. Nothing about this hotel feels especially nice, and while our stay was adequate, it wasn't anything to brag about.

Finally, the absolutely bad part - the "gym," if you can call it that. We went down for a morning workout and walked into a room the size of a guest room which literally has no heater in it. The majority of the equipment in the room is completely broken, and it appeared someone had left a mess as a result of some sexual activity on the floor. There was what was supposed to be a basket of fresh fruit, but it contained a single rotten apple. Not the experience we expected to be paying for.

Frankly while the Westbury was OK, I wouldn't stay there again or recommend it to others. The Conrad, The Merrion, or others are better choices.

1 Thank John Greg P
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Danielrnyc,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at The Westbury and I am glad that our location was suitable for you to browse the many shops bars & restaurants. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the turndown service and lunch and cocktails in Novo.
However, I am disappointed that we did not manage to exceed all your expectations and that you were disappointed with the bathroom, gym and the lobby areas. Despite being bitterly disappointed I appreciate your feedback, we have and will continue to learn from what our guests tell us and will use their feedback constructively to continually improve.

I know that we have tried to reach out to you personally; I hope we are able to connect and perhaps you will give us another opportunity, at some point in the future, to show you the high standards of service we can and do deliver.
Thank you again for your review and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westbury again.

Vincent O Gorman
ireland
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel's location is perfect - just tucked away on a side street off grafton street. We arrived by car and there is a valet service. It costs 20 euro for overnight parking.

The hotel's interior is very aesthetically pleasing. It's luxurious and classic. Upon check-in the lagu was very pleasant and we were given hot hand towels for refreshment.

We had book a standard double and it was a good side, perhaps the bathroom is a little on the small side. Again the interior was elegant, creams with nice furntiture. There's an nespresso maching with plenty of refills but ours didn't work very well - we didn't complain though. Bath products were from aromatherapy associates. Crystal cut glasses in room also. Bed linen was of great quality. There's also a turn down service with butlers chocolate.

We enjoyed having drinks in the gallery and bar area, they are pricey though!

Continental breakfast is 15euro pp but there's lots of selection.

This will be my new hotel to stay in Dublin - well, as long as I can afford it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear IrelandCat87

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to The Westbury Hotel.

I am very happy that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and appreciate your personal recommendation it means the world to me and my team.

Thank you for writing about your visit and telling others about your stay, I look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Of all hotel locations I would rank the Westbury #1. The hotel opens into a short, quiet (for the neighborhood) lane that runs 20 yards and flows into Grafton street.
But what makes this hotel great is the lively neighborhood that runs 4 blocks west from the back of the hotel (which is easily accessible) this neighborhood was fun, safe and more established then the temple bar area.
From the Westbury you are a 5 minute walk thru this neighborhood to temple bar. 3 minutes from st Stephan's green. 5 minutes from trinity college.
The hotel is well appointed, with friendly staff. This is a classy city center European hotel, not to be equated with a Four Season in a resort location. That's not fair.
For a well traveled couple in their late 30s that appreciates a good pub and very good food, this hotel was perfectly located.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tim_from_Saint_Paul
Dear Tim from Saint Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Westbury Hotel.

I am delighted that our location worked for you and indeed we are blessed with our location which is in the middle of the buzzy atmosphere of Grafton Street where there is a wonderful array of shops, restaurants and bars right on our door. I am glad that we were perfect in every way for that our staff made your stay a memorable occasion.

We look forward to welcome you back again and may I take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy New Year.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 3, 2014

When I ventured into the Westbury in late November to make a booking for a Christmas afternoon tea treat, the first Saturday available was post-Christmas, Saturday December 28th....the charming wait staff laughed not unkindly with me as we contemplated thoughts of "what recession?!".
Five weeks later, our first foray out of the house since Christmas Day, after a couple of hours of not altogether focused sales shopping we arrived at the hotel. All afternoon we watched as hopeful afternoon tea drinkers without bookings were turned away. Dressed for Christmas, the gracious hotel lobby was warm and welcoming, glamorous and inviting. A selection of families, couples, girlfriends were all ensconced at tables, laden with linen and silver and hatboxes of sweet treats.
A classic afternoon tea cost €42 per afternoon tea and included a selection of 4 sandwiches, a sorbet, scones with jam and cream, 12 pastry treats and coffee or tea. One afternoon tea is more than enough to be shared by two moderately hungry adults. The wait staff were charming and discreet, they managed to sound enthusiastic when explaining each mini course that was coming our way, regardless of the fact that they had probably said the same thing hundreds of times over since the Christmas season began. One tip - I suggest that you ask for them to hold off serving your tea/coffee until they are ready to bring the food, our tea had turned to stew by the time the freshly prepared sandwiches were brought to the table.
The scones were warm and the perfect petite size, the sweet treats were mini works of art, colourful and plentiful, we couldn't finish everything despite our most valiant efforts.
At no stage did we feel rushed or that our table was just part of a long chain of reserved afternoon teas throughout the month of December. Looking around, we could see that all the other diners seemed to be having the same relaxing, enjoyable experience, happy to be out and part of the glamorous scene, inclusive but not intimidating. We lingered, not anxious to leave long after we finished eating and drinking.
I am almost reluctant to recommend this wonderful Christmas afternoon tea experience because it means we will likely have to book in September this year! everyone should go to the Westbury at Christmas, if not for the afternoon tea but to savour the atmosphere and to leave your cares behind even for a few lovely hours with your favourite people.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear D4traveller,

Thank you for taking the time out to leave such a kind review of your recent afternoon tea in The Westbury Hotel.

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the sandwiches, scones and the teas on offer. I will share your comments with the team here and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Thank you for sharing your recommendations with others and may I wish you a very happy New Year.

Meadville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at four different 5 star properties during a tour of Ireland and this was our favorite. It is very well located down a side street just steps from wonderful restaurants, pubs and shopping, but you are not disturbed at all by noise or traffic. The rooms are a bit small, but very well maintained, nicely appointed, clean and comfortable. Our only problem was figuring out the lights and not having the proper converter to charge our phones. The hotel loaned us a proper converter and we got the hang of the lights after a couple of days. We had the buffet breakfast most days which included a good offering of traditional breakfast foods in the upstairs restaurant which had large windows looking out over the street. However, the staff is what makes this a 5 star property. They were genuinely interested in assisting us in any way that they could and if one person on the staff was unable to help, they very quickly took us to find someone who could. This was without a doubt the most attentive, friendly and accommodating staff we encountered on our entire tour. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jaf24,

What a great review thank you for taking the time to tell others about your wonderful stay at The Westbury Hotel.

We are delighted that we were your favourite hotel during your visit to Ireland and that our location worked for you and you managed to get out and enjoy the wonderful shops bars and restaurants that are all within walking distance to our hotel.

Our staff are indeed very passionate and they genuinely care for all our guests and will never hesitate to go that extra mile to assist, I am delighted that they stood out for you during your visit and thank you so much for your recommendations.

I am delighted that you will visit us again and may I wish you a very Happy New Year.

Ballycastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

As a post-Christmas treat we decided to go to Dublin for New Year's Eve. We arrived in the early afternoon and from then on it was a lovely experience, even better than I remembered from a few years ago. The car was whisked away on our arrival and returned very promptly on checkout. Checkin and checkout were seamless. All staff were welcoming and helpful.

We had dinner in the Wilde restaurant, it was absolutely delicious. The menu was interesting and different with lots of choice. Breakfast was very good, a great selection on the buffet as well as made to order cooked foods.

Our room was very comfortable and clean. There was no annoying outside noise.

I hope to return again in 2014.

Dear mmcd22,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your stay with us in December to celebrate New Year.

It was great to read your review and to know that we made your stay so special from the moment you arrived until your departure. I am also delighted that you had a super dining experience and dinner and breakfast exceeded your expectations.

I am thrilled that you plan on coming back to visit us this year and we look forward to having you return and thank you for your continued support which is appreciated.

We appreciate your great recommendations and may I take this opportunity to wish you a Very Happy New Year.