“Not quite 5-star standard”
Review of The Westbury

The Westbury
Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Devon
“Not quite 5-star standard”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Westbury is wonderfully situated for central Dublin shopping and sightseeing but is difficult to find if you come in your own car due to the one-way traffic system. Seamless valet parking; doormen, porters, concierge and reception are superb and well up to 5* standard.

The downside of the hotel’s central position is that the bedrooms are rather small and cramped for two people and, although they are beautifully furnished and equipped, there is limited clothes storage space and a lack of surfaces in the bathrooms on which to put things. The beds are extremely comfortable.

Service in the restaurant, I’m afraid, lets the rest of the hotel down: the staff are mainly young Eastern European girls who are inexperienced and badly trained. Despite their constant reassurances that there is “no problem”, there clearly is a problem as tables are left uncleared of dirty dishes and meals are punctuated by the crash of smashing crockery as trays are dropped through careless and inexperienced handling. If only the dining room staff were as professional as the porters a meal would be a pleasurable experience.

The Westbury also suffers from the problem found in some other central Dublin 5* hotels: an influx of non-residents at lunchtime often means that residents cannot obtain a table in the lounge for a light lunch. Such was the case on the day of our arrival and we were diverted to a bistro-type restaurant on the ground floor which was unimpressive. For a country which we are told is in acute economic distress, it is heartening to see how many clerks and shop assistants can afford to take their lunch in 5* hotels.

It is a very comfortable and pleasant hotel in many ways but I fear that the nice little touches, like hot towels on arrival and free bottled water on departure, do not make up for its deficiencies.

4 Thank IainGDevon
WehManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear IainGDevon,

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us during your recent trip to Dublin and thank you for your kind review of The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am most concerned to read that you did not experience a seamless stay on this occasion.
In your review you mention a number of issues which are not reflective of the kind of service and product which we strive to provide to our customers. I am most sorry not to have had the opportunity of resolving these issues to your satisfaction prior to your departure.
I would very much like to discuss your stay in more detail and I invite you to contact me at joseph_downing@doylecollection.com at your earliest convenience.
I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Thank you for your custom and for your feedback.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We spent our last two nights in Dublin at the Westbury. The room was spacious, comfortable and even included an espresso machine. The location can not be beat (close to Trinity College and Grafton Street). There was an error with my breakfast the first day, and the staff made sure to correct the mistake and upgraded our afternoon tea (which is fantastic). Mistakes can happen, and since it was quickly acknowledged and corrected, it did not alter my opinion of the hotel. The staff was very courteous and helpful. I would recommend this place to my family and friends.

1 Thank Amy P
Dear AmypDiva2,

Thank you for reviewing The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor in such a positive light and thank you for being one of our cherished customers.
I am delighted to read that the hotel exceeded your expectations and when an error occurred with your breakfast, the matter was swiftly and satisfactorily resolved.
Everyone here takes great pride in offering the very best of service to all of our customers and your feedback is very much appreciated.
I do hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Thank you once again for recommending The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We couldn't have had a better stay. The Westbury is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The staff were fantastic and attended to every detail. The hotel and rooms were modern, luxurious, roomy and located in possibly the best location in Dublin. Every room has a Nespresso machine for the coffee lovers and the furnishings, turndown service and breakfast are all fantastic. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nathan L
Dear Nathan L,

Thank you for having stayed with us and for taking the time to positively review The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor.

Your kind comments about the hotel, staff and location are greatly appreciated by everyone here and we are most encouraged by your honest feedback.
I do hope that it will not be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back .

Thank you for recommending The Westbury Hotel to others on Tripadvisor.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The room was spacious and comfortable, the location was central, and the staff was amazingly nice. I felt like I needed to dress up to walk through the lobby. Right in the heart of city center. Tons of stuff within 10 minutes walk. There are always taxis out front if you prefer. The hotel was fantastic and the staff was friendly. The location is right in Dublin's City Center which makes it easy to find shopping, food, and historical locations. It is a bit difficult to find when walking. If you're coming from the Trinity College bus stop, keep walking in the direction the bus was going, to the left of the tourism center, then keep looking right down the side streets of Grafton. The only other thing I would say is that the guests of the hotel are dressed rather nicely. My wife and I got a few sideways looks from other guests after our long trip and our hour-or-so walk trying to locate it.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary C
Dear MaryC,

Thank you for having stayed with us and for favourably reviewing The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor.

It is most encouraging to read your delightful comments about the hotel and everyone here is most appreciative of your wonderful feedback.
I do hope that we shall soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back .

Thank you for recommending The Westbury Hotel to other travellers on Tripadvisor.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel for its accomodations and central location. The facility itself is beautiful and the location cannot be beat. Unfortunately, we had a disappointing experience with the level of service we received.

Location: This is the hotel's best quality. It is within walking distance to every major sight in Dublin and has shops, pubs, a Starbucks, and restaurants just steps from its entrance.

Check In: I requested an early check in via email two months prior to arrival with details around when we would be arriving and was told they would do everything to accommodate this. We arrived 1 and a half hours prior to check in time and the receptionist informed us our room was not ready, nor was he sure when it would be. I suggested we come back at 3PM the check in time he said that should be ok. It felt odd I had to suggest the solution of when we should come back and after so much advance notice of us checking in early that we didn't have a room, but I brushed this off as they held our luggage and we were excited to be there. When we got back at the check in time, we went to the same individual and a room was ready. He gave us a 30 second cursory explanation of the hotel and told us to move to the end of the counter and someone would grab our luggage for us. As I looked down the counter at several other individuals checking in, they were given wet cloths, I could overhear a full explanation of the hotel facilities and where things were located and a much more thorough welcome. It was odd, really, and I started to question why we weren't given the same level of service they were. Again, I brushed it off as I was excited to be there and wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. We went down to the end of the counter to get our luggage. After 10 minutes and looking down the counter at 4 receptionists in view with no guests to attend to, and 2 hotel staff members pass us without acknowledging us or asking if we needed help, my husband went back to the man who checked us in and asked if he could get our luggage so we could get to our room. We were frustrated at this point.

Rooms: The room is a nice size for European standards and was very clean. We had plenty of space with our three plus suitcases and found it to be comfortable, having a great night sleep each night, no noise to be heard except for construction each morning a few rooms down (this did not disrupt our sleep). The shower was great with good water pressure but beware the water does go all over the floor so put several towels down before entering. We were pleasantly surprised by the turndown service at night - with chocolates on the bed, slippers and a glass of The TV would not turn on easily, and the first night we called for someone to help us with it. The individual my husband called said someone would be right up to our room, but no one came. No one came the next day, and the one time I was able to turn it on it took us about 10 minutes to turn it off. While attempting to turn it off I called the front desk and the operator but the phone rang and rang with no one answering. We were about to just leave but finally my husband figured it out. Needless to say, we couldn't use it for the duration of our three night stay - I think the controller needed batteries which seems to be something others have had issues with as well.

Service: The second night as my husband and I were coming back from our night out, as we approached the door the bellman approached us and blocked the door, asking for us to show him a room key. I was stunned. At this time I should mention we are in our 20s and were among the youngest we saw staying at this hotel. I asked him why and he just said he needed to see it before he could let us go in. We pulled out our card and he let us in, and as I looked behind us there was another group coming in. My husband and I waited to see if this group was asked to show their card and they were not. They were greeted with a smile and walked right by. This group of individuals was in their 40s. There was no difference between us and this group other than us being younger.

When I called the front desk and explained what happened, I was told a manager would contact me immediately. The phone rang several minutes later and when I picked it up, the person had hung up. I expected them to call back, but no one called or got ahold of us for the remainder of our stay.

As my husband and I connected the dots, we realized we were treated differently than other guests throughout our stay. Not getting eye contact, smiles, and getting eyed for what we were wearing made us both feel we were not welcome, especially when we noticed the attention older guests or guests on business were given. Such a shame as this is truly a beautiful facility and anyone who is willing to pay for it should be treated the exact same way.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Zunks
Dear Zunks,

Thank you for reviewing The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor and for having stayed with us on your recent trip to Dublin.

I am most concerned that you were not pleased with your stay and I am equally disappointed to not have had the opportunity of resolving the issues you experienced prior to you departure from our hotel. I would very much like to discuss your stay in more detail and I invite you to contact me at
joseph_downing@doylecollection.com
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you once again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is just a must. MUST. There is afternoon tea and then there is Westbury. Sandwiches are so good, we ordered seconds. The best turkey and cranberry filling I have ever tasted. The scones are lovely and the clotted cream is divine (oh, well, might just well be honest and admit, we ordered seconds here too :))). Lovely little cakes, something for everyone. Very friendly service, 5* with a smile and a genuine one too. Extra little touches such as lemon curd and the most decadently divine pianist in the background just helped round off a perfect treat!!

1 Thank TanjaLondon
Dear TanjaLondon,

Thank you for reviewing Afternoon Tea on The Gallery at The Westbury Hotel in such favourable light on Tripadvisor.

Your comments about your experience are greatly appreciated by everyone here at the hotel and particularly by those dedicated people who strive to provide the best Afternoon Tea experience in Dublin.
I do hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you again for recommending The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

The westbury is located in the heart of Dublin city centre .Cool interiors ,our room was fabulous , great afternoon tea , great place to stay for a city shopping trip, friendly staff , highly recommend

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Faybyrne
Dear Faybyrne,

Thank you for your positive review of The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor and thank you for your much-valued custom.

It is most encouraging to read of your having experienced a wonderful stay and your having indulged in our legendary Afternoon Tea on The Gallery.
I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your time in our establishment and I look forward to your return.

Thank you once again for your custom and your kind comments about The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor.