“Not what I expected, disappointed”

Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin
Ranked #56 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed October 7, 2009

The positives were the staff were friendly at reception, the room was nice and big as it was a delux room and the location.

The negatives were, we didn't book a delux room but asked for an upgrade when checking in, the delux room was what you would expect as standard room for a 4 star hotel. Our friends didn't ask for an upgrade and their standard room was tiny, they were not a bit happy with that!! The bar was expensive and when we arrived back to the hotel at night, it was like the Spanish Inquisition for us to be able to get a drink from the residents bar. The irish breakfast was cold which was very disappointing.

I would not stay here again!

1  Thank niamh73
Write a ReviewReviews (4,529)

Reviewed October 4, 2009

I would highly recommend The Gresham Hotel in Dublin city for somewhere the stay. We were greeted warmly on our arrival, the atmosphere and buzz around the hotel was great, our room was very nice, the staff were very helpful and friendly and above all the food was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2009

I stayed at the Gresham for a girly weekend and have to say the location is excellent. We were central to everything and could pop back with our shopping every so often. We booked our room on booking.com, we got a great deal however I think this reflected on the room we got. The room was very small and the view was onto a yard. There was no shower gel, shower cap or soap in the bathroom. The room served it's purpose fine for what we needed but I have to say I would have been extremely disappointed if I had paid the astronamical prices this hotel normally charges. The breakfast was not included in and was quite expensive. Also be prepared to pay for your parking which is situated at the rear of the hotel in a different street - it cost us €14 for the night.

1  Thank holidays010
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Very nice hotel, centrally located, beautiful rooms. If anything -its a 5 minute walk from Temple bar, other than that I cant put my finger on anything. Well worth its money!

Reviewed September 26, 2009

I stayed in the Gresham after a disappointing check in another hotel in the city centre.
I have to say they did accommodate all our request as my brother is on wheelchair.

Room were nice and confy, I found the staff very helpfull.

I am new in tripadvisor but I do travel a lot for business and I will keep writing review on hotels around the world.

Thanks to the gresham and thanks to tripadvisor for this opportunity

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We had a great time staying at the Gresham. It was a wonderful, old world hotel in a great location that was far enough away from the noisy bar area to be restful but close enough to walk. I would recommend this hotel to friends since for the price it's a great deal.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Husband and I stayed two nights in April and everything at the Gresham Hotel was perfect. We would for sure stay again. We did get a break on line and only paid around $115. per night. We were given a side street room and asked to be moved. We were given a lovely front room overlooking the Taxi stands. Rooms were modern and clean. Staff was helpful and friendly. We walked everywhere, so convenient. We loved it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple