Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin
Drury Court Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
$280
Hampton Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
$141
$137
4,637 results
All reviewslavery wingo'connell streettoddy's bartaxi ranklovely hotelcentral locationtemple barairport busstandard roomlovely roomfollowing morningtwin roomtrinity collegeeveshamfoyerirelandeuro
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Gresham hotel on Friday night, 12th July, for one night. When we arrived, a lovely girl called Chloe greeted us and gave us our room number and keys- She couldn't have been more helpful and we were really impressed by how welcoming and efficient she was. So we were looking forward to heading up to the room and chilling out. When we got to the room at a first glance it looked gorgeous. I must say the room was immaculate! But within about five minutes we started to see the problems within the room.

First off, the air conditioning wasn't working. As we all know, the heat the last few days has been unreal and we had just trekked all the way through town so were looking forward to relaxing and cooling off with the air conditioning on. When that failed to work we opened the windows, which didn't stay open for long as A) The view was shocking- A concrete wall and what appeared to be a factory? and B) Both the noise from this said factory and people hanging around down below were just too noisy so we had to close the window (and almost melt as a result!)

Secondly, and probably the most worrying of all, the lock on our door did not work. After a good while of trying all different ways to lock it we gave up and realised that it was most definitely broken. Something which played on our minds for most of the night I must say. I found this particularly worrying as if it were guests such as my elderly grandparents or my aunty with young children that were staying in that room, they would most definitely require to be transferred to another room because of the safety aspect (or lack of it!) It was not only the safety issue, though- On Saturday morning around 10.30/11, myself and my boyfriend were still relaxing in the room when housekeeping made a quick knock at the door and then walked in- When they saw that we were still there they quickly left but this was quite embarrassing I must say, and something which wouldn't have happened if the lock on the door had been working.

Thirdly, as mentioned before, the noise coming from outside the windows was quite annoying but when I woke up at 4 am with the heat (as the air con wasn't working!) my only option was to open the windows for some cool air. The noise of the factory place outside was so bad though I was yet again forced to close the windows. Something which shouldn't have to be done. Also, the fact that there was no fridge available was quite disappointing, as I have stayed in hotels with less stars that have been less expensive than The Gresham and a fridge facility was always available.

Finally, there appeared to be a broken pipe that was leaking quite a substantial amount of water- Which was flowing right outside our window. When we woke we genuinely thought that it was raining outside as the noise of it pouring down was very loud. We noticed other guests above us with their windows open, probably having a look out to examine the cause of the noise just like ourselves, so I'm sure we're not the only ones who noticed this.

The final straw came when I received an email from The Gresham a while ago asking me to give some feedback. This link would not work for me though, which really annoyed me. I paid €120 for the room for the night and unfortunately it just was not worth it-€120 is a lot of money and to spend it on something that was not satisfactory is a real shame. I actually stayed in the hotel last year and had an amazing stay, the room was gorgeous and we had absolutely no issues so were quite surprised with our experience this time. Will we stay in the hotel again? Who knows.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Gresham is one of the best-located hotels in Dublin. It is on a section of O’Connell Street where all kinds of transport lines intersect. There is one taxi rank in front of the hotel, another rank within three minutes walk on the left, a tram line that is also four minutes walk away, and multiple bus routes at varying walking distances. In fact, the Dublin bus company has a service centre just across the road.

The place is huge, with three banks of elevators. Downstairs, there is a pub, a restaurant and a lounge. The restaurant is pretty decent. But beware the bar price. I did not check the price and ended up with the most expensive (non-civet cat) double espresso in my life-- €5.

Unless you face O'Connel Street, the hotel is quiet in the evening. (Be careful about hotels above pubs in Dublin. Some of these can be very noisy. Some friends who booked them regretted as they never got a good night’s sleep.)

But there are downsides, with the major one being the indifferent service.

For example, right at reception is a placard that says to contact the receptionist to book a reservation at the restaurant. I was checking out, and was going to meet someone at the restaurant. I asked the receptionist to book the reservation. He said, “There’s no need.” Well, if so, why have the placard that contradicts.

I had the tiniest room on the floor--559. (I had asked for a quiet room. It’s at the end overlooking the parking garage. My main issue was the deadspace of a long corridor. I suppose someone has to take that. Try not to be that person.) The shower had a glass half panel that was surprisingly effective in keeping water in but there must have been a leak somewhere as water came out from the front. Management must be ignoring this because the cleaner had to mop up the water every morning.

The gym was converted from two rooms at Level 5. It’s small with some cardio machines and barbells.

Parking is expensive at €15 a day. If you have to park, check out Q-Parking, the next building up the side street. I arrived at 7 pm and had to return my car the following day before 10 am. I got a special rate for that time. €4.50 at Q-parking.

For the business meeting I was at, The Gresham was wonderful as I did not use much of the hotel's services. But if I were to return on a vacation, I’d probably consider some place else.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed at the Gresham for 3 nights it is an older hotel, but has plenty of charm and character and we found it to be very clean. The staffs were very friendly at check in, we stayed with my parents who were very happy with their room, we ask to change our room, as we found it a bit small. Andrew Walker, the Front Office Manager was very helpful and arranged this without a hitch. Also I have to say thank you to the house keeping staff you deserve to have a mention because you all work very hard and the rooms are immaculate. Breakfast was buffet style so you can choose what you want to eat, plenty of choice for most Palettes. Can be a bit noisy as in a city, but take some ear plugs then you don’t get disturbed
Perfect location on O'Connell Street, from here you can catch trams and buses to all the local tourist attractions. We bought 3 day bus pass at the airport, excellent value for money. You can use the hop on hop of buses and the regular blue buses will save a lot of money if you want to visit a lot of attractions in Dublin, cost 28 Euro. We would defiantly come back to the Gresham, and one of the main reasons is this, if you do have a problem they will sort it out, but you need to tell them, we were very happy with service and food.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I've stayed in the Gresham on business on two subsequent weeks in two different rooms. My experience has been quite different with both.

1st week, well appointed room with modern fittings. Good fixed shower over bath in addition to separate hose and shower head, air conditioning. Lots of free plug sockets including USA, Europe and UK formats. Space in room to sit at desk if required. Bed comfy. Telescopic LED reading lights. Only complaint was that TV was a bit high to be comfortable when lying on bed. View was onto the back of other buildings but far enough away from other windows that privacy didn't feel invaded. Staff were helpful, breakfast relaxed and good. Ordered room service. Honey mustard (I think) seemed an odd salad dressing with a korma but it was passable. Steak (on a different day) good, with lots of sauce options not advertised. Happy to bring a pint of beer with the order.

2nd week, Room was a bit of an odd shape, squeezed between others. At some point someone has decided to move everything round. To do this they appear to have created a 2 inch thick cable run skirting board. This would be fine if they had also moved the plug sockets, but instead they've half covered them, meaning that there is only a single unused socket available (hidden behind the TV). The bed overlaps with the desk, making the desk hard to use. There is only a 5 inch gap between bed and drawers / TV making room hard to navigate. No shower curtain and only fixed height shower meant that the bathroom was soaked after a quick shower. No air-conditioning. I phoned to ask about this and was told (very abruptly - they then put the phone down on me) that there was an air circulator only. However it appears that the thermostat / control unit doesn't do anything (no obvious air circulation). At 27degC outside, this is uncomfortable. Having to keep the window open, I was woken by road sweepers, bin lorries and road workers from 7am.

Location wise - great. Right in the centre of Dublin. Large relaxed lobby, 2 bars with different atmospheres. Reception staff have been excellent when I've been there in person. Good overall atmosphere and feels up market. However room wise there is a lack of attention to detail which has let my stay down, especially in the second room.

Room Tip: Room 453 bad, 225 good. There is going to be street noise on most sides. Get one with air- conditioning..
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RiverRock83
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Managed to get a good rate on the Hotel. It is fairly classy, though it's a little faded/dated in some respects. Staff were professional and friendly.

WiFi is particularly good - no messing around with passwords etc - it just works, well.

Room was not huge, but well set out. The view was the back of the Hotel - very quiet, but not pretty.

Location is excellent - right on O'Connell street - a great address in Dublin.

Did visit the bar - quiet but good; more for the mature customer.

Room Tip: At the front if you want a view and don't mind the noisy street below. At the back - no view, but quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business