“Lack of Customer Service - Would Not Reccomend!”

Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin
Ranked #54 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed here in April 2013 with 3 friends in 2 separate rooms. I booked online & had pre-paid for the rooms before arrival. Upon arrival one of my friends was checking into our room and they had no details of our reservation - there was a trainee receptionist on dealing with our matter his supervisor was there at the beginning but left him to deal with this situation all on his own. After a bit of a wait and presenting our own confirmation of booking emails we were given room 348. The trainee receptionist kept his calm though and did deal with the situation in a very professional manner. The room is basic & small but very clean. The lighting in the room was awful for my friend trying to do any make up or anything was a struggle. The Bathroom was OK - the shower head very low but usable. There was also no plug beside either of the beds and the only way to charge our phones was to plug out the what I can only assume was the plug for the 'storage heater' on the opposite side of the room.

When our friends were checking in they were also unable to find their booking. Even though we had already been told what room they were assigned to. This mater got cleared up quickly though.

Upon arriving in from a night out, we were greeted by what I can only saw was a very unpleasant night porter with a terrible attitude & no customer skills what so-ever.

The following morning, housekeeping bursted into the room at 9am! waking us up, which was not a pleasant experience. Upon check-out we were asked to pay the outstanding balance on our room which was the nightly rate, but we had already pre-paid for the room online. I was quick to state this & show my receipt for proof of payment. The receptionist quickly dealt with this matter albeit in a 'i don't really care' attitude. I then asked had our friends checked out, which they had - they had also been charged for the room - I again stated that they shouldn't have been charged that I had already pre paid. The receptionist dealt with this again in his 'I don't care attitude' he said that he would be passing it onto his supervisor and that I should expect a phone call that day (01/05/13).

It is now the 06/06/13, I have rang twice in regards to this issue with no phone call back or anything been done in relation to this matter. If the manager see's this I would appreciate a call or an e-mail - i'm sure you can go through your records to find my details.

As I am also in the hospitality industry, I am hugely disappointed in the management skills & the customer service in which I am yet to receive.

Regards

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JohnC1689

Reviewed May 5, 2013

stayed one night in august 2012 - pricey drab hotel in need of renovation.

the rooms are clean, but not impressive. no view whatsoever outside our window. the gym was a small room not much bigger that a walk in closet with a few weights. the location is good, althoguh I would avoid staying at the grersham in the future.

my wife says she hated it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here 1-night before my fight home. You are definitely paying for a 4-star hotel experience. All the facilities were top notch and I did not have any issues with the room. HOWEVER, noise is a major factor when sleeping. The hotel is somewhat located near a night-club and the music does get extremely loud which woke me up. I did not get back to sleep until 3am when the club closed and had to wake up at 7am for my flight. Needless to say I did not get a good night's rest.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Hotel impressed from the outside and even more so in reception, the staff were friendly and our room was available even though we arrived early at 10.30am. Twin room at the back was smallish but quite adequate, it was very clean and very quiet at night. Room service was fast when we requested extra tea bags and milk at 11pm. Breakfast expensive at eu19.50 (eu 15.00 when ordered with booking) we found the Kylemore cafe 2 blocks down the street and only paid approx eu12.50 for breakfast for both of us- not big eaters we felt we could not do justice to the large buffet breakfast at the hotel. The location was great at the top of O'Connell St within walking distance of everything and especially as all the tour buses from various companies stopped just yards from the front door. We came in on the airport bus (eu7.00 each) which stops outside and when we purchased the 2 day open top bus tour tickets @eu20.00 each (Red Bus) we got free return airport bus tickets - which was great..

Room Tip: Room 303 small twin - was fine and most importantly very clean and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Huge breakfast with amazing choice. Centra, grt location & great value for money. Hard to fault. Advise booking directly with the hotel and people watching in the lobby . I Will be back without a doubt

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The hotel is grand on the outside and does not disappoint inside. The staff were OK at check-in, not overly welcoming but not rude either; we had arrived earlier than the standard check-in time and were given a room, which was great.

Our double room was at the back of the hotel, it was a nice spacious room and we liked that there was a separate shower cubical rather than just a shower over a bath (there was also a bath). Plenty of soft white towels and toiletries (which is handy for those travelling on restricted luggage allowances). The bed sheets were lovely and you could indicate if you wanted them changed or OK to sleep on again.

Breakfast was a full choice of hot and cold options and would cater to all tastes. The only thing that let the hotel down was that the breakfast staff seem busy and not focused on the customers: we had to wait until our breakfast was almost over on one day before we could get anyone’s attention for tea or coffee, on another day the restaurant was almost empty, but the staff were more focused on setting up new tables rather than clearing tables of customers. A small thing for the hotel to work on for an otherwise lovely stay.

Very handy when arriving that the AirCoach stop is straight outside the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Gresham has been dispensing gracious hospitality for perhaps a hundred years now, and it retains the character of a 19th century hotel while providing 21st century amenities and comfort. The service is exquisitely courteous, helpful, and friendly without being over-familiar. The twin room was small but comfortable; the bath could do with an update but was adequate; and the location could not be better. The hotel is convenient to shopping, sightseeing (the hop-on/hop-off bus is just steps away), theatres, pubs, and restaurants. For a major city hotel, the cost is well within reason, especially in terms of value. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple