“Great base to discover Dublin”

Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin
Ranked #54 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I have just spent Easter weekend at The Gresham. On arriving the staff were very friendly and helpful, and there was a relaxed atmosphere. We stayed for 3 nights, and found this to be a great central base, with loads of taxi's and bus stops nearby. There is a tour bus stop about 20 yards from the front of the hotel. All of the resturant and bar staff were friendly and made conversation. Food was delicious and reasonably priced for hotel. We had the best 3 nights sleep in ages.The rooms were to a very high standard, and very clean. We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Dublin!

2  Thank Elizabeth D

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed in the Gresham for 1 night Easter saturday night and had a a lovely room and all was great, friendly staff,breakfast top class and they let us stay unil 1pm as i asked about a late checkout f.o.c.
The noise was a bit much as we hada great view looking over O'Connell street but lots of noise from traffic. All went quiet at 8am Sunday morning as they closed the street and i was just falling asleep when the band started up to practice for the 1916 commemoration ceremony which we watched hanging out of our window. This was a rare treat to watch and the president and lots of folk was there.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a good view
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at the Gresham for four days over St. Patricks Day weekend. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful, and the room was very nice. It was surprisingly large and well appointed, and had a modern look. The restaurant and bar in the lobby was also nice, with friendly, attentive staff and reasonable prices. The location, however, is by far the best feature of the hotel. It is on O'Connell, which is the main drag through Dublin city center, and the hotel is within walking distance of nearly everything you could want to see or do in Dublin. We had a spectacular stay, and can't recommend the Gresham Hotel enough.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Check in was great, all staff so pleasant and chirpy with a "hello and how are you" each time, room was small but really quiet and clean. 5thfloor so tucked away high up and far from noise! Restaurant food was great. Bar was nice. It's still got that old world charm and good service which is so lacking In more "modern" stuck up hotels. I'd stay again most definitely.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The room was very clean and quiet as I got a room at the back of the hotel. Tea and coffee facilities available and tv with selection of channels. The bed was very comfortable. I ate in the restaurant twice and both times it was very good, with friendly service. I had breakfast in the lobby with coffee and a delicious scone served with butter and jam. I would recommend this hotel as it is close to many tourist sights and the airport bus stops outside the door.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had originally booked a hotel around the corner as I wanted something on O'Connell St. However after reading reviews I decided not to go ahead with that hotel. I looked at the Gresham expecting it to be far more expensive, but it was almost the same price for a far superior hotel. Because of the low price in such a perfect area I wasn't expecting it to be great, but was very pleasantly surprised. We were given a complimentary upgrade on arrival, the hotel is very clean and the staff were all extremely polite. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a very nice, great quality, great value central Dublin hotel. Thank you Gresham!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

It had been a long week of stressful business meetings across northern Europe when I arrived in Dublin in heavy rain and cold winds. I was, in a word, grumpy. I had never visited Dublin before (a shortcoming I intend to address through more visits in the future) and had little idea what to expect. I walked from the railway station in the driving rain and was pretty irritable by the time I found the hotel. I checked in, went to my room and found it freezing cold. I went to turn on the radiator but the thermostat valve came off in my hand. Increasingly short tempered I stomped back to reception to demand a new room. It was at this point that I was reminded that the swankiest designer decor does not replace good old fashioned quality of service. I was immediately given a new (larger) room without demur, and the staff could not have been better in smoothing my ruffled feathers. The concierge was a delightful Dubliner who made light of all my requests for the business party I was in charge of, and the waiting staff in the bars and brasserie were unfailingly cheerful, attentive and quick. The Gresham is not the most polished of modern business hotels but therein lies its individual charm. It's in a great location, the food and drink is not Michelin material but none the worse for that, and the atmosphere is one of warm comfort rather than the cutting edge modernity. I arrived intending to find fault but left utterly charmed, and more than a little pleased with the prices for a decent hotel in a European capital city location. I shall return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business