“excellent location, spacious rooms”

Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Slane, Ireland
“excellent location, spacious rooms”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Gresham's location is excellent, at one end of O'Connell street. My husband and I had stayed there before, in January 2010, and we have just stayed there again this month (Feb 2013). The rooms we were assigned on both ocassions were quite good; roomy, clean, and nicely furnished (mind you, nothing mind-blowing, or extravagant, either... They just had a nice feel about them..) On our way out, as maids were cleaning out other rooms, we did have a glimpse of smaller, twin-bed rooms (ours was a double).
Of course, the hotel is old and there are some parts were it shows (the maze-like hallways, for example), but the hotel has suited our needs more than satisfactorily, so that is no big deal for me.
The only negative thing I can say about our stay has to do with the breakfast service.. It is an excellent thing that they actually serve breakfast until twelve (at least they did, on our last Sunday there), but the food was quite unimpressive, in quality, presentation, and quantity, but perhaps this was because we came down to eat past eleven and most of the food that had been prepared had been eaten, and they weren't preparing much more close to end of service... I don't know..
They seemed to be understaffed that day, but the staff on board toiled on bravely and were quite nice and helpful.
Now, my husband, who is peering over my shoulder reading my review, wants me to mention the "little touches": he didn't find any little "bickies" in the tea / coffee tray in the room, and for him, being Irish, that was a no-no... He is also telling me to complain about the chocolates missing from our pillows, ha!
I like the overall decoration and feel of their ground floor area... We did not have any drinks at the bar, so I can't comment on the prices or service there.
I actually like the feel of the hotel... To me, it's a place that has seen and lived a lot, if that makes sense... And, I would definitely stay there again...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 13, 2013

As the bells rang in 2012 my mam turned to me and said, I have lived in Dublin all my life, I have travelled all over the world but I have never been inside the Gresham Hotel in Dublin. So, my new year’s resolution is to have tea at The Gresham. That summer we arranged to go for Tea at the Gresham and she had a great time. So much so, in January 2013, my friend surprised us with a voucher for a one night stay in the Gresham Hotel. My mam was delighted and we booked for the 14 of January 2013. The Hotel staff was so friendly and helpful on arrival and throughout our stay. I parked my car in the car park at the back of the hotel and even the car park attendant was so helpful guiding us to a lift which would bring us straight into the hotel.

We stayed in a twin bedroom which had everything we needed and fully met our expectations. We had afternoon cream tea, which consisted of warm scones with strawberry jam and fresh cream and tea or coffee. Absolutely, delicious and highly recommended! Also included in our stay was breakfast, which was an array of every food you could possibly have for breakfast. The service and food was amazing! We are planning on visiting again very soon, the hotel was very central with all amenities on the doorstep.

I would highly recommend a visit to The Gresham Hotel in Dublin!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We have been in the Gresham Hotel many times over the years but this was the first occasion we stayed overnight. While the downstairs is still nicely fitted out , I am afraid that the upstairs is dated. The room we stayed in was quite small by today`s standard but was ok. The tv was not working properly and was not fixed before our departure despite having been reported to the reception desk. The breakfast was good and the location is excellent

Room Tip: Seek a room with an outward view not inward looking over the heating/ ventilation systems.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tony W
sligo ireland
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed recently for one night at Gresham hotel Dublin.cannot find any fault except perhaps the rather exorbitant bar prices. eg pint of Carlsberg cost €5.60. in my local bar, the cost is €3.80!
However, it is city centre, close to bus line tram line and taxi. Excellent staff. No complaints.

Room Tip: rooms in the 300's appear to be better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

Armagh
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to go on a short week-end bread to Dublin City and as a special treat decided to stay in the iconic Gresham Hotel, possibly Dublin, and Ireland's, most famous stop over.
Anyway there is not much sense in singing the praises of the room or meals they were as you’d expect in a 4 star operation of A1 standard, the breakfast in the morning was something to look forward to. Every conceivable breakfast combination that you’d want seemed to be there. Unfortunately we didn’t get to eat our evening meal in the Gresham more because we were too busy in and around a bustling city center.
One special word of praise I’d like to give is to the backroom staff, especially Bridgit, who was one of the chambermaids on our floor: they were discreet, you very seldom seen them yet the work was carried out to an excellent standard. Well done girls.
One of the main reasons I’m writing this review is that neither my girlfriend nor I were aware that that week-end was the European Premier of the film Lincoln. We were utterly surprised when we arrived down to breakfast to see a number of beautiful ladies in top hats and long black dresses setting up for the event!
We quickly learned that this was where the good and the great were gathering before they proceeded via the red carpet to the cinema next door. You had the Irish President, Daniel Day-Lewis, Steven Spielberg, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones and countless others. Imagine here we were rubbing shoulder to shoulder with all these names. But what surprised me most was that as guests we were not abandoned even though the main lounge was bustling with all these celebrities. No. the hotel made sure that we were accorded equal status to those high flyers, our little glass of wine and coffee was just as important to them as Spielberg’s Champagne. That really topped the week-end for us and if for that reason only I give them a great big thumbs up.
We will be staying there again.

Room Tip: didn't try the swimming pool or spa so not marking them.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Crossmaglen
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The rooms are very plain and even in the more expensive rooms in Lavery area would be the same in a normal good hotel elsewhere. I was given card keys to a room I was told had twin beds. Not only was it a double room but people where already staying there and we had walked in. Breakfast was cold and the night security guys were very rude and need to course in how to treat their customers correctly. I can say that my guests were shocked at the attitude of the night security staff We asked to use a photocopier but none was available. I had paid for 3 rooms 810 euro and had plans to run a seminar here in the future. Not now.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CrossmaglenDiddler
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here on a very wet ,windy night. The public rooms were very ornate but cosy.Our room was small and very ordinary. 340.I am happy with the Laterooms price considering the location but I would not have been happy if I had to pay the full room rate. Breakfast was ok.The waiting staff in the Writers Lounge were very efficent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business