“The Gresham - a proper hotel”

Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“The Gresham - a proper hotel”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Gresham is a proper grown-up hotel, with a proper grown-up foyer and a proper grown-up bar that mixes proper grown-up drinks. The staff are welcoming, helpful and......grown-ups. Our room, a standard double, was not expensive, nicely laid out and very comfortable with (you guessed) a proper grown-up bath in a handsomely sized bathroom.

I have, however, three small reservations. It doesn't make enough of the literary connections, and that's a shame because I'd have enjoyed my stay even more if I'd realised I was sitting at a bar frequented by James Joyce. There was no tea and coffee in the room. The interiors are nicely laid out in deep red, tans and browns but the carpet in the foyer and bar is blue and should be in an airport.

I think we chose well. The 'boutique' hotels down by the river are eye-wateringly expensive, and while O'Connell Street isn't the Faubourg Saint-Germain it is a stylish start to a walking tour of what is probably the most welcoming city I've ever been to.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank dellzeqq

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The staff of the Gresham are very obliging and generous. This means everything. It's an expensive hotel, but Ireland has its infrastructural limitations which come as a surprise from--well, from anywhere else. You may be surprised that you are dressed in every piece of warm clothing you brought because attending a conference in the Gresham could mean you are sitting for hours in an unheated room, in November! In two days I developed chapped lips but I never left the hotel environment.
The internet didn't work but the people on staff were terrific. Sangor especially, who insisted he and his team had a solution to everything at any hour of the day or night.
The best bit was an evening at Toddy's where Adam took me by the metaphoric hand and showed me a good time--at the bar, at the table. Had the best steak of my life. Perfection service.

Room Tip: Be ready for internet connectivity dodginess, the business centre is expensive and unheated. In the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We went over for the rugby and this was out first stay in the Gresham, which is very well placed on O'Connell Street. The airport shuttle literally stops outside and the return stop is opposite.
Staff were friendly and helpful, especially the concierge Charlie.
We had a lovely suite, which was very large, with a separate sofa and dining table with a second TV. The room was onlyl et down by some shabby decorating and finishes in the bathroom.
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Killinchy, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel has a great location, looks elegant and the staff are very pleasant. However I had a double room on the 5th (top floor). Because of its Georgian facade, by the time you reach the 5th floor the windows are small and are set high in the wall meaning no view. The double rooms are snug. The heating control kept cutting out which meant the room was frequently chilled. The Saturday night was busy in the hotel so on Sunday morning even quite early the hot water for the shower did not reach the 5th floor and I had to use the room kettle for hot water to enable me to shave . I had friends staying on the 1st and 2nd floors who did not have the same problem. There was no bottled water supplied in the room and the mini bar was empty which is usually a sign that the hotel does not trust its guests. The coffee mugs in the room were not washed properly and rubbish was left for hours in the room passageways.
I think the hotel will slowly descend to a 3 star and then be turned into a department store. If it was my hotel I would give the GM a kick up the bottom and tell him to sort these issues out. It can get back to its former glory but it needs to change now.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank KenCountyDown
Portland
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We ended our trip in Ireland with a splurge, staying at the Gresham hotel. Their prices are a bit high but the rooms were great and the location was ideal. Being right on O'Connell street, we were centrally located for everything we wanted to do on our last day.

• Stayed October 2012
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My daughter and I came to Ireland to celebrate her 17th birthday last month. We stayed 3 nights at the Gresham Hotel which is centrally located in Dublin. The experience was a delight. We were allowed to check in early upon our arrival and had a spacious room with a double and single bed. Flat screen TV and free wi-fi to boot. We were steps away from the shopping of O'Connell Street and a short walk to the bus station. The hotel has the charm of old world Dublin rather than the sleek modern look that seems cold. The desk staff were wonderfully pleasant and helpful. We put the DO NOT DISTURB sign out while we were on a day trip and returned to find a large wicker hamper full of clean towels, new soaps/shampoos etc.just outside the door. I could not say enough nice things about the Gresham...give it a try on your next trip to Dublin.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank tpabucsfan
Strabane, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Me & my husband try to get to Dublin a few times a year. We have stayed in a few other hotels for convience to maybe the O2 arena once but we always seem to come back to The Gresham. As this was yet again another wonderful stay, I felt I should actually sit down & let others know just how good the hotel & staff actually are. As soon as we arrived we were told our room would be up-graded for simply booking through the hotels website. The rooms are always lovely but this room was amazing. Breakfast every morning is the best I've had in any hotel I've stayed the selection is fantastic & the staff are always so friendly & helpful. I look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple