Stayed at The Gresham Nov 18-20th while in Dublin to visit friends. Stayed in Lavery Wing, Room 479.
Check-in was easy as was check-out & they have left luggage which is handy if you're not flying out til later in the evening.
Also, the Air Coach (blue bus) stops direct in front, is about 10Euro & leaves Dublin Airport every 15mins - super handy!
Room was a bit more expensive than others but was worth it to me. As the hotel is older, the rooms generally tend to run small so this room was more of the "standard size" as in North American hotels.
No major problems but some CONS:
- there was no Welcome Pack in the room (usually a binder with all hotel info, numbers, menus, etc) which was a bit annoying as I like to have a flick through & handy for local info. Also, I think an old Dublin gem of a hotel like The Gresham could do with more info on their impressive history, famous past guests, etc...guests like that sorta thing - staying in a place with so much history!
- had to phone twice to get bottle opener, no biggie but I assumed there would be one in the room (there is an off-licence across road which is handy rather than purchase expensive alcohol from mini-bar or hotel bar (if you just want a quiet drink in your room while getting ready - as I like to do! :)
- the WiFi in the room was a bit hit-or-miss though worked perfect when I took the laptop downstairs in Reception. More than once it didn't work in the room which was a bit annoying.
- the bar food was a bit drab. I had a roast beef sandwich with chips (literally 6 chips) that was very standard, not really worth it. I'd go somewhere else for pub grub.
- my view out the room was not pretty (bldgs, alley) as such (but could see The Spire so orientation was good) but tell the truth, it was not important to me, so not really a con (for me)
- The location!
- The acutal construction/history of the building. Gorgeous! You know you are somewhere special just sitting in the lobby & taking a look around you.
- Staff were great, helpful, friendly
I didn't eat in the restaurant or have breakfast as I thought it was a tad expensive.
Overall, I loved my stay & would stay again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin is located in the heart of Dublin, in a historic building on the famous O’Connell Street, and become one of the city's emblematic sites. This Irish hotel offers you the best facilities for you to enjoy an unforgettable holiday with RIU Hotels & Resorts. All of the rooms in this urban Dublin hotel are equipped with the most excellent amenities to cover all your needs during your stay with us, including a television, safe and WiFi connection. We also have a penthouse suite from which you can enjoy spectacular views over the city and the incredible surroundings of the Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin This new hotel in Ireland offers various unique function rooms for you to hold any kind of event. These rooms are perfectly equipped for your meetings to be a resounding success. The Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin is also located very close to the Convention Centre Dublin making it the ideal place for business travellers. The new Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin has an extensive and well-planned menu for you to enjoy authentic culinary experiences. The facilities also include a bar for you to savour the best aperitifs or relax with an authentic cup of tea. This Dublin hotel is in an ideal location for any visitor. Surrounded by the main shopping area in Grafton Street and Henry Street, you will also find the most celebrated shows and theatres such as Gate Theatre and the National Concert Hall, and some of the most famous places in Dublin like Croke Park and Temple Bar. The hotel is also located a stone's throw away from Abbey Street tram station which will easily take you to any other point of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, HRS and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gresham Hotel Dublin