“Still a quality hotel seven years on”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London
“Still a quality hotel seven years on”
Reviewed February 19, 2007

This was my second stay at the Fitzwilliam. The first was in 2000, and I was smitten then.

It's changed very little and I mean that in a good way. The place looks like new. The room was spotlessly clean and the entire hotel has a feeling of solidity about it which few modern buildings have.

Bed was great, bathroom really good. As others have mentioned, the power shower is perhaps a little TOO powerful for my liking! Had no problem with noise from other rooms. This time I was in a (cheaper) garden room which was really nice and peaceful.

The negatives? Room was bizarrely hot unless aircon was on. The safe is tiny and certainly not big enough for a laptop which I'd expect in a hotel of this class. Also free internet access is wired rather than wireless.

Only had breakfast once which was fine but pricey as you'd expect. Service at front desk and at breakfast was fast, efficient and friendly.

I'll certainly stay at the Fitzwilliam the next time I'm in Dublin. Recommended.

• Liked — Clean and classy
  • Disliked — lack of wireless internet and bigger safe
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Martin68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Turkish first
belfast
Reviewed January 28, 2007

We stayed at the end of January, having booked an extremely good Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rate.
We only booked a standard room, but were upgraded to a Junior Suite free of charge and without asking.
The room was very contemporary, spotless and luxurious ( and being a suite it had a separate living/dining room and bedroom).
The bathroom was of a similar standard ( what a powerful shower!)
Dinner was included in the rate. It was 3 course in the Citron Restaurant and of an exceptional standard, the fillet steak was so tender and cooked perfectly.
Breakfast in the room was also good ,although not as good as at the Westin.
The staff were courteous and efficient at all times.
For the price I would stay at this hotel again even without the free room upgrade.

3 Thank Ilovesoup
Bristol
Reviewed January 16, 2007

First of all, the hotel is located at Dublin`s best area. Very close to stylish shops and bars. Everthing is at walking distance makes this hotel ideal place to stay for a weekend. The most amazing part is the power shower in the bathroom which is the best that I have never seen before. The staff is very professional and friendly. The only weak point is the bar which looks old and out of date. This does not go together with the rest of the hotel which is very trendy and full of good taste...

• Liked — SHOWER!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — BAR
6 Thank Clarablum
bristol
Reviewed January 14, 2007

This hotel is in a perfect location with the buzzing atmosphere of Graffton Street practically 2 mins walk, Temple Bar bars/pubs/clubs a 10 min walk and the famous O'Connell street a 15 min walk. The hotel staff are efficient and friendly, someone on hand to open the door as soon as you arrive, whish your bag off and take you to the lift. When you walk in to your hotel room you are invited by a wave of classical music already playing on your stereo. The bathrooms are lovely, the shower is amazing, I thought my head was going to explode - its definately a "power shower". The bath is HUGE....width and length and fills up in a nano second! (Definately enough room for 2 of you and no fighting for the tap end as the taps are in the middle!! - if only all baths came like that!) The only problem in the room for me, which might not apply to all....is that I love a duvet on my bed and here they have a sheet and blanket....nothing to complain about though because after doing the Temple Bar obligitory pub crawl I would of slept outside on the cobble road and not woken up once! Do not expect cheap prices for drinks in this area, maybe its because we didnt visit any pubs outside of the so called "tourist area", expect to pay about €4.70 for a pint of Guiness.

Now on to my only real rant about the hotel. I thought i had booked a B&B rate for the hotel so i guess its my fault for not checking but I ended up having to pay €96.00 for 2 days breakfast for 2 people. Now to me they would have to get bacon from the queens pigs, buy tomatoes made of gold and serve it to me whilst giving me a back massage and a pedicure whilst fanning me and serving me grapes!!!!! Directly 2 mins walk to the left and I could of had a decent breakfast for €7.50.
I didnt mind paying the charge because obvisouly i hadnt booked the correct rate however i dont know how they can charge such a ridiculous price for a cooked breakfast!!!

So.....if you are going to dublin and staying in the Fitzgerald hotel im sure you will have a fabulous time. However, dont forget to ask them if breakfast is included in your room rate BEFORE you go ahead and gorge yourself on some Irish sauted potaoes!!!

8 Thank tubbits19
Leicester
Reviewed January 3, 2007

We have just arrived back after spending 3 nights at the Fitz for our Honeymoon, and on the whole we really enjoyed staying there. The service throughout our stay was really excellent.

We arrived to a friendly concierge who promptly took our bags and directed us to Reception. The lady on Reception was nice and welcoming, and she upgraded our room, which was a nice touch.
Unfortunately, although the room design was nice, it wasn't particularly well decorated, which was surprising for a 5 star hotel.

We booked a meal in their Citron Restaurant, and the food was very nice.

The Hotel is in an excellent location, on the corner of St Stephens Green and Grafton Street, right next to Dublins Shops, Bars and Restaurants.

If you want a special stay and have some money to spend, stay here!

• Liked — Excellent Service
  • Disliked — Quality of Room decoration
  • Tips/Secrets — The Deluxe Rooms don't look any different to the other rooms, so save you money!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Netgroover
SanFran, CA
Reviewed December 15, 2006

I stayed for two weeks for business. I enjoyed the Fitzwilliam and would definitely stay there again. The bathroom was out of this world!

Pros: exceptional location; wonderful service -- the airline lost my luggage and they actually called to follow up for me; classy, non-tacky carpeting; the best hotel bathroom I've ever stayed in (beats the top 5 star hotels in San Francisco), both in terms of the shower and tub; thoughtful touches -- chocolates, umbrella, apples, etc. The gym was new and totally fine, and the hotel looks much prettier in person than in pictures.

Cons were mostly little things: room carpeting was a little worn; room service food was horrible and slow, and there could have been more to choose from; no wifi in the rooms and the internet cord could have been longer; the bed and towels were nice by European standards, but not American; sporadic replenishment of bathroom goodies -- one day qtips, the next day no qtips; the walls were somewhat thin -- could hear the baby in the room next to me babbling.

Stayed December 2006
5 Thank holla8
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2006

We stayed at this hotel a year ago and thought the staff were very surly and unhelpful especially the concierge's.

After deciding to book a last-minute pre Christmas break we stayed here again due to its excellent location. This time we booked a room at the rear of the hotel as we found the Green view rooms to be too noisy last time. The room was as expected, although a little too warm and stuffy for us. The aircon was a little weak and ineffective and the heating was on full blast despite it not being particularly cold outside.

The biggest difference however was the staff. They couldnt do enough this time and bent over backwards to help. The concierge was a revelation. One called Robert was outstanding and really tried to get us a dinner reservation when everywhere was packed. He did too, so thanks Robert. Last year the concierge wouldnt even get us a taxi on departure and directed us to hump our bags 100 yards to a taxi rank. This time, not only did they book one for us, but they found us in the bar when it came and our bags were already loaded. Perfect.

So I would recommend this hotel now they have sorted the staff out. The location is excellent and the rooms are very functional although slightly bland. Awesome shower. Breakfast still too busy, so we ate out in a cafe. Cooked to order and a quarter of the price. The Inn on the Green is also great, although a little cramped when busy.

• Liked — Awesome Shower and great location
  • Disliked — Hot and stuffy room. Poor aircon.
  • Tips/Secrets — Robert the concierge is really good. Try the Unicorn Restaurant at the far corner of the Green for a great meal.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business