“very disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

My friend and I were very disappointed in the Fitzwilliam and it did not live up to its 5 star rating. There was not one major thing but a catalog of small problems. The room was fine but the beside tables and bathroom door showed damage and wear and tear. When standing in the corridors you could see a massive gaps under some doors which suggests that the doors were not fitted properly. House keeping left no water in the room and when we called down for some 2 lots arrived within 5 minutes of each other.

The main problem though was the level of customer service, not at all what you would expect from a 5* hotel and after all that is what makes the real difference between and 4 and 5 star hotel.

The concierge although friendly and helpful recommended a tapas bar but sent us to the wrong street so we never found it until the following morning We were also inquiring about tickets for a tour and were told we would have to book it on the Monday (they were closed over the weekend). Fair enough but come Monday morning it was sold out and we found out subsequently that it was possible to book online over the weekend. The door man was extremely rude when we asked about all the crowds outside the hotel (a band was apparently staying) and the barman was also rude when we went in for a night cap!

I logged my complaints with the night manager and he put it on the system. But what really annoyed me was when we checked out the following morning the receptionist did not check the system and had no idea about my complaints. When I made her aware it was then escalated to another receptionist. I was told that the other staff member had just started her shift and had not looked at the complaints system yet! Hardly my problem and she should have been fully aware of all issues before dealing with the public. The 2nd receptionist then escalated it to the duty manager and asked me to wait whilst she could be found.

So after having been through my complaints twice the duty manager turns up 20 mins later. She was very aggressive with us, again we had to explain everything and again she said the same things as the 2 previous staff had, adding nothing nothing new. At this point I was very annoyed as had been polite and patient all the way through this long drawn out process! When we pointed out that her attitude was poor she became even more hostile and finally offered to refund 1 drink off our bill!!!! It took us over an hour to check out in the end.

Customer service is what makes a good 5* hotel. It was definitely lacking during my stay and the duty manager's attitude was appalling. I would not recommend this hotel.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nicola e
Guest_Relations_Fitz, Guest Relations Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear nicola e,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I would like to thank you sincerely for your very constructive feedback.

I regret that the room did not live up to your expectations. We have a full maintenance team and a standard in place that should ensure that no room is "available for a guest" if it is not perfectly maintained.

Your feedback regarding the level of customer service has been noted and addressed with the relevant departments

nicola e, I truly regret that your stay did not live up to either of our expectations.
When your travels next bring you to Dublin, we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam & to give us the chance to redeem ourselves.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

The sign of a great hotel is not just how it feels initially, but how they respond to inevitable glitches during a longer stay. The Fitzwilliam passes this test with flying colors. We stayed here for a total of six nights at the recommendation of our travel agent (who clearly has some kind of relationship with the property). Although we got off to a rocky start with a noisy room and other nuisances, the hotel manager, Fergal O'Connell, corrected these problems in spades. He could not have been more apologetic or less defensive. His entire focus was on turning around the experience...and he did. If you're the type to do a slow burn and say nothing, then don't expect too much here or anywhere else for that matter. A simple statement of our concerns were addressed more than to our satisfaction. With all of that said, the property is well situated across from the park and near shopping. You can easily walk to Trinity College, the Hop On/Hop Off Bus, and good restaurants. The rooms are reasonably sized and well appointed. The staff wants to serve you well and is friendly without being phony. We loved eating and having cocktails in their ground floor pub. Service was good and food great. I recommend the prawns on baquettes. The inclusive breakfast was delicious. More than ample with choices ranging from the continental fare to hot food prepared as requested. Don't expect perfection, nothing is perfect, but do expect complete satisfaction.

Room Tip: Although the rooms along the front of the hotel have a wonderful view of the park they are very nois...
2 Thank LPF
Dear LPF,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am really delighted to read that a difficult situation was turned around so well.

I am delighted that all the team members you encountered went beyond your expectations in terms of the service you received from them. I have passed your kind comments on to everyone, as such feedback makes everyone's efforts so worthwhile!

LPF, when your travels next bring you to Dublin we look forward to the opportunity to welcome both of you back to The Fitzwilliam.

Alpharetta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

A group of 30 of us from our church took a 10-day tour bus vacation around Ireland. Our second stop was the Fitzwilliam Hotel in Belfast. Location was perfect. We could walk to many shops and restaurants. It's located right next to the Opera House, where we saw the play Cinderella. Lots to love about this place. Rooms had all the modern amenities.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

The hotel and staff was wonderful. We were afraid of the language barrier but there was none. They directed us and gave us pointers. St. Stephen's Green was right across the street. We had fantastic morning and evening walks. The room was neat and clean, very comfortable. It was located in the middle of all the places we wanted to go by walking. Place was stylish and very welcoming.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Marcy P
Dear Marcy P,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am pleased to read you found the team so friendly and welcoming and that you really enjoyed your stay in the hotel

Our location is certainly very central and St. Stephen's Green park is particularly beautiful.

Marcy P, when your travels next bring you to Dublin, we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to The Fitzwilliam.

Orangevale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Rooms are clean and comfortable. Service is great and the concierges can't do enough for you. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choices and the dinner deal for was amazing. The only complaint I have was the parking fee. They gave us a pass to get out and it didn't work. Stuck at gate and had to go back to desk to repay. Should have been in room bill.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ted R
Dear Ted R,

I am delighted you you found the staff nice and in particular the concierge, breakfast & dinner team. I have passed you kind comments on, as such feedback makes everyone's day.

Ted R, when your travels next bring you to Dublin, we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Have stayed here on business countless times but for the past 5 or so trips have tried other hotels as I feel their standards here have dropped.

This review summarises previous trips to the Fitzwilliam in the past 6 months:

I went to get a towel down and a half used bottle of shampoo flew out from between the 2 towels, it gave me concern about whether both towels were actually clean.

My colleague did not have as nice a room as I did on our last visit, we unexpectedly had to stay another night, when we asked for a room change so that my colleague could have a nicer room for the second night we were told there were no rooms of that type left, as soon as we were heard talking about moving hotels ... surprise ... suddenly there was a room.

It is an absolute disgrace to be charged an additional 5 € for pancakes for breakfast to be given a quarter of a pancake only.

We have a corporate rate with this hotel and spend thousands with them per annum, I was booked in by a new assistant using an agent without realising we have to email the hotel direct. This meant breakfast was not booked and the room was more expensive. Whilst this was an honest mistake on our behalf, I was truly surprised that the hotel were not prepared to at least include breakfast without charging extra, but they absolutely were not prepared to make this concession. This meant that my colleague who had emailed the hotel directly was staying with breakfast at a cheaper rate than I was staying without breakfast. I do accept this was not the hotel's fault but it surprises me that they were not prepared to compromise for the sake of keeping regular customers happy.

The mattresses in this hotel (and I have slept in a large number of the rooms by now!) are often lumpy and feel as if they need to be replaced. If you remove the duvet you can often actually see 2 body indents in far too many of their mattresses especially on floor 4.

On the positive side, the staff are generally pleasant, we have always had good service and enjoyable meals in the bar and it has to be said that the Fitzwilliam is in a prime location.

Room Tip: Check your mattress before you accept the room. Avoid having a room above the night club (right hand...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank monkeychop5
Dear monkeychop5,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted to read your very constructive feedback.

I would like to apologise sincerely for the our shortcomings regarding your room & the quality of the mattress.

Let me assure you that immediate action has been taken to solve the issues that you mentioned regarding your stay.

monkeychop5, when your travels next bring you to Dublin, we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam and to redeem ourselves.

Birmingham, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel through a Delta Vacations trip. We arrived early in the morning and were pleased our rooms were ready. The bed was comfortable and bath very nice. The breakfast was outstanding with many choices of hot/cold items. But the high point was the customer service: upon checking out of the hotel, we headed to Heuston station for an early train to Galway. With just 20 minutes to boarding, we realized we had left our passports locked in the safe at the hotel. With much help from the customer service desk at the train station, we were able to contact the hotel concierge who was then kind enough to get the passports and have a reliable driver bring them to us at the station. Within 15 minutes, we had the passports in hand and were on our way to Galway (with just 2 minutes to spare!). So thanks to the Fitzwilliam staff, who went above and beyond in helping us out!!

Dear magmom51,

Greetings from The Fitzwilliam Dublin!

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit to the city. I am delighted to read you enjoyed our wonderful location and your stay in general.

We believe that breakfast is the most important ,meal of the day and I am delighted that you enjoyed it so much.

It was great to read about the excellent assistance & Customer Service you received.

magmom51, when your travels next bring you to Dublin, we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fitzwilliam.

With kind regards