“Nice hotel but service was inconsistent”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Nice hotel but service was inconsistent”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel is updated and the rooms are modern and clean but I found that the staff was either friendly or somewhat distant. There was a really nice gentleman working the desk at check-in, but on another occasion there was an unsmiley and uninformative front desk lady. Also, the breakfast buffet advertised was available one morning, but not for the other 2 nights we stayed. We had to order au la carte so didn't have much to select from.

Overall, rate paid was reasonable and the rooms were clean, but I probably wouldn't go back due to the inconsistencies.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank wendy5o4
Guest_Relations_Fitz, Guest Relations Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Wendy5o4,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.

Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback on your most recent stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed our hotel.

Please accept my apologies for the inconsistencies you found both in our service & procedures
Understandably this has detracted from your overall experience.

I would be delighted to act as your point of contact to ensure that any return visit to the Fitzwilliam Hotel would be seen as our opportunity to provide the perfect stay.

Guest_Relations_Fitz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Leeds
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I booked this hotel for 2 nights for myself and my friend as it was her 50th birthday. I have to say from start to finish our experience was first class. The hotel arranged some birthday treats for her which was totally unexpected and made her day as due to family circumstances she rarely gets a break away.
All the staff from front desk to concierge toi cleaning staff were excellent and so polite and kind and totally sincere. Our twin room was one of the best I have stayed in in the UK. It had everything and more that you could possibly want. The bathroom was a great size with good power shower and very big bath- great for relaxing. We had a quiet room overlooking the courtyard which suited us fine. The breakfast was also one of the best I have ever had and it simply had everything you could possibly want. The location was ideal opposite St Stephens park and very close to all the shops.
I would not hestitate to recommend this hotel and in fact hope to return one day with my husband and would not even consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank cazleeds
Dear cazleeds,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.

I am delighted that you have taken the time to provide feedback on this most enjoyable stay with us.
I am happy to hear that the quality of our food & service provided a great memory and assure your that this will be passed on to those concerned.
We look forward to welcoming many guests who you will hopefully direct our way. Hopefully you will return shortly with your husband.

Denville, NJ
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Perfect location, professional and fun staff, quality accommodations.

1 Thank cyrano1950
Dear cyrano 1950

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.

Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay with us on tripadvisor.

The team and I are delighted that you have enjoyed your visit to us and take heart from the positive sentiments you have expressed regarding the service levels we have provided.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to the Fitzwilliam Hotel in the near future.
Ireland
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Despite the negative title for this review, I don’t wish to put people off staying here. There is a lot going for it.

I’d stayed here regularly a few years ago, and loved it. I’d become familiar with the different room types, so was very specific when I made the latest booking (by phone): an executive room with a queen bed (not one of those hateful zip-links), overlooking the courtyard, and definitely not on the smoking floor (fifth). I mentioned that I’d been offered upgrades to front-facing rooms in the past but had always turned them down, preferring the quietness of the courtyard-facing rooms. Although the rooms overlooking St Stephen’s Green are generally bigger and have great views, they suffer from street noise and the sounds emanating from the nightclubs below. It was all confirmed in writing. However, when we checked in, we were given a room at the front! We hoped that keeping the window shut would keep out the noise, but it was not to be. Unable to sleep, we contacted reception. We were offered a room on the fifth floor, so that was no good. Next came the sixth floor. The lift doesn’t go this far, so you have the use the stairs. These rooms are tiny, with less storage space and a sloping ceiling. They feel crammed with furniture and claustrophobic. We were then offered a room on the second floor; perfect (exactly what I’d originally asked for) but for the zip-link bed. The concierge, Bob, agreed to swap the bed if we didn’t mind staying up a bit longer. We were happy to do that, but then the duty manager told us it wasn’t possible (I won’t bore you with the details). We were finally offered 350 – a bigger room with a queen bed, and a balcony overlooking the courtyard. But there was a catch: it had been promised to someone arriving the next day and we’d have to move again! We decided to check out the following morning and move to our favourite Dublin B&B: Ariel House in Ballsbridge. Miraculously, they had a room at short notice.

And so to the positives.

The location is fantastic (take the opportunity to walk down Grafton Street before the crowds arrive). The staff are friendly and helpful. Most of the rooms – notably the smaller, executive, rooms overlooking the courtyard – are very well designed. A wall of wardrobes and cupboards divides the bedroom from a small hallway. You can put suitcases and shoes here, leaving the bedroom uncluttered. There’s a CD player (with a speaker in the bathroom, although you can switch that feed off). The bathroom is wonderful, with dimmable lights, a huge bath (with a drencher shower over) and tealights (a lovely touch). The beds are comfortable. Although room 350 (for example) is bigger, I didn’t like the design: the door opens straight into the room – not great if housekeeping knocks and enters without waiting for a reply (although it didn’t happen on this occasion)! The food in the Citron restaurant (which has a balcony overlooking reception) is superb; the service is attentive without being intrusive. (While eating there, we were entertained by loud Americans practising their golf-swing in the foyer!) There’s parking in the basement (just 10 euros for 24 hours) and you can take the lift straight from there to your floor. We enjoyed spending time sitting at the bar. The cocktail menu is excellent, and the staff are chatty (if you want them to be). WiFi is complimentary.

Room Tip: * Courtyard-facing executive rooms are well designed and quiet * Front-facing rooms suffer from str...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Enigmatist
Dear Enigmatist,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed our location, decor, style, quality of food in Citron and the friendly service.

Whilst from your review I understand that you had a number of inconveniences with your both your room type & the street noise. I can guarantee you that in future when you have written confimation about your specific requests that this will be acted upon

I would also be delighted to act as your point of contact to ensure any return visit to the Fitzwilliam Hotel would be seen as our opportunity to provide the perfect return visit.

Woodside, California
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We had a wonderful time at this hotel. It's less than a five minute walk to the National Museum, the Museum of Natural History (which was an enormous hit with the kids) and Phoenix Park, which is lovely to walk through and has a great play ground, and just minutes away from the main shopping and dining area. It's wonderful to be so near all these things, but not have the noise and the ruckus of the pubs. The hotel really knows how to take care of kids. And the staff went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable and point us in the right direction. We'll certainly go again next time we're in Dublin.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank american_foxhound
Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.
Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay with us on tripadvisor.

Ireland
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Lovely hotel right in the heart of Dublin. We stayed here for one night while attending a Bruce Springsteen concert.

It was a rather quick visit to Dublin, but being 34 weeks pregnant I wanted to stay somewhere with a little luxury. The only negative was the shower, I waited at least 5 minutes or more for it to heat up but alas no hot water!

1 Thank itsgreattobeout
Guest_Relations_Fitz, Guest Relations Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear itsgreattobeout

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed our hotel.

Please accept my apologies for the problem with your shower. Our maintenance team have managed to rectify the underlying issue but understandably this has detracted from your overall experience.

itsgreattobeout, I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Fitzwilliam Hotel.

Guest_Relations_Fitz

Thank you for reviewing & I look forward to seeing you back with us in the near future

Guest_Relations_Fitzwilliam Hotel
Potton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We really really liked the FW. Great location at the south end of Grafton Street, adjacent to St Stephen's Green and the LUAS stop.
Superb check-in service, friendly, welcoming and polite. We ate in Citron on our first night, the food was delicious, beautifully presented and service was discrete and friendly. Breakfast selection is extensive and delicious. The rooms are well appointed, bed was beautifully comfortable, bathrooms are stylish with large tubs and drench showers. Decor is trendy and eclectic with interesting use of fabrics.
We will certainly return and next time head for the 2* Michelin restaurant which if our other experiences at the FW are anything to go by it will be superb. We have already recommended the FW to friends and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor executive rooms
1 Thank Mark H
Dear Corporatedrama

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed our location, decor, style and quality of breakfast offering.

I am happy to hear that the quality of our food & service was a lasting memory and assure you that this will be passed on to all of those concerned.