“A highly decent hotel in the best location in Dublin”
Review of The Morgan

The Morgan
Ranked #41 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I spent 4 nights at the hotel for both business and leisure. The hotel is located in the temple bar area in Dublin and is in walking distance from every possible leisure place in Dublin (Trinity College, Castle, Christ Church, Guiness, Jameson, Liffy river, etc.) and the shopping streets. The hotel itself in very nicely decorated, the rooms are in good size and the beds are extremely comfortable. The check-in staff was very nice, helpful and efficient and the breakfast was great. Internet is free in the rooms and there is even a free private room with a computer and printer so you can print a bit if you need to. The only minus in this hotel that I could find are - It can get noisy on some nights since it is located on a street filled with bars (can also be a great plus if you're looking to stroll out at night a bit and have some beer and you can close the windows to get the silence back...) and it seems they invested a lot in the rooms and decorations, yet the maintenance could be better and need some improvement, including plaster the is coming down from the walls a bit, etc.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,955)

Reviewed August 23, 2010

Myself and my husband headed away Saturday night to enjoy our first break in five years away from the kids. The Morgan looked great online so we booked and prepaid for a kings deluxe room. When we arrived they tried to put us into a standard room without informing us..they quickly changed this and upgraded us to a junior suite when I called down. The suite however had not been prepared..the mini bar had not been serviced and there was an empty bottle of beer on the floor. The ceiling's plaster is coming away, the bathroom ceiling is also peeling away and the tiles coming away from the grouting. the bath itself was tiny. The thing that we could not handle was a shower that would not stop dripping and the noise from the bar below. Great if your into dance music but we just wanted to relax and listening to the boom boom noise till 3am and then having to put up with the shower drove me to sleep on the sofa last night. The staff were excellent and the food very good however they just dont make up for the horrendous experience we had. This is a hotel to be endured not enjoyed, and certainly not a four star.

1  Thank SundayFamily
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I would have given this hotel a 4 star rating, but had to knock off a star for the noise. An earlier review summed it up when they said you expect a bit of noise staying in Temple Bar what you don't expect is for your hotel to be generating most of the noise.

When I got back to my room at around 11.30pm on Sunday night the music was pumping out from the lively hotel bar and was very audible even on the second floor. I didn't mind to much as I'm an insomniac and was happy reading my guidebook on Dublin and my other half miraculously slept through it (probably cream crackered from being dragged round the sites).

However the music did not stop blaring out till 1.30am, if I was a family staying here or a was on an early flight home I would have been livid - and would have demanded a refund. The Morgan markets itself as boutique hotel, but what boutique hotel subjects its guests to David Guetta at full volume at 1am on a Sunday (should I say Monday morning) night. I can understand they want to profit from the bar but it's at the expense of hotel guests, the bar should soundproofed properly or the music played quieter or stopped earlier than 1.30am.

On a positive note I actually really liked the hotel, great location, helpful and charming staff, quirky design, large room, free wi-fi and fantastic value for money (we paid €80.75).

Great place to party for the weekend, but not for quiet night.

1  Thank James_Holway
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We booked way in advance of our stay and we were offered a specific suite which was supposed to be the best in the Hotel however upon arriving we were told they had given our suite to someone else who was staying longer than the 2 nights we had booked for and had moved us to a less superior suite! The receptionist did not offer an apology and in fact was positively off hand, nor were we offered a discount. The hotel is dirty and badly in need of renovation. The carpets are warn and stained, the shower leaked, the white furniture is grubby and the corridors and restaurant toilets are dimly lit n supposidly as a style statement however they use this as an excuse not to clean . The breakfast is a serve yourself affair, even tea and coffee is not brought to your table and the queue to make your own toast is a long one as they only have one two slice toaster available - not what you expect when you are paying 180 Euros per night. The only good thing is the location. Overall I would not recommend this hotel to anybody, it does not represent good value for money, it is no better than a Travel Lodge or upgraded room at Pontins.

1  Thank mrandmrsanderson
Reviewed August 9, 2010

This is a very stylish hotel in a fantastic location. I have stayed here twice, both times on a weekend, the first with a friend and the second with my mother! I stayed in a deluxe room both times which was very reasonably priced given the hotel's excellent location.

I found the staff extremely helpful (especially a lady named Livia) and friendly and great attention was paid to a couple of requests that I had made at the time of booking.

This is a young and trendy spot in the heart of town, which worried me as I was treating my mother to a short stay at The Morgan, (who is 64 years of age!) yet she still enjoyed being treated to a good nights sleep in an extremely comfortable bed. There is a late (trouble-free trendy/funky) bar with a relatively young clientele to the front of the hotel but the deluxe rooms are situated at the back so noise levels were at a minimum. Anyway I guess if you choose to be right in the heart of the lively area of Temple bar you are not looking for a quiet weekend! They are also spacious and beautifully decorated which added a touch of luxury.

I plan on staying here again with a group of my girlfriends, it is on the doorstep of all the good spots in town and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed August 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night as a treat as we have small children. We were so lucky and seemed to be upgraded to a suite which was just fab. The bed and pillows were so comfy. The staff upon arrival and check out were very friendly - as if they knew us. I would highly recommend this hotel for a city break with a great location, close to everything. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2010

the hotel is located in the heart of dublin. everything is within walking distance which is great. the hotel is trendy (could be cleaner) , staff is very friendly.
the bar is nice to hang out in evenings and the breakfast served is very good quality and enough choice.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business