“A great hotel in the heart of the city”
Review of The Morgan

The Morgan
Ranked #35 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London, England
“A great hotel in the heart of the city”
Reviewed September 15, 2006

This was my first time to Dublin, and came here on a Business Trip and booked in at The Morgan for two nights from 12th-14th Sept 2006.

On arrival it looked very stylish and modern. There was only one person on reception and had to wait a short while before I was attended to. This seemed to be the norm with only once person at a time on reception trying to attend to guests and to answer the phone! They did apologize for keeping me waiting and were very friendly.

When I entered my room I was extremely surprised to see I was given a deluxe double room (I had only paid for and asked for a standard double!). The room was spacious, with a king size bed, plasma wall mounted personailzed TV, fully air con, mini bar, safe and a resonably sized ensuite bathroom. Just one note - be careful of the mini-bar - it is computerised and even if you remove an item just to view it you will be automatically charged for it!

Thankfully the room was at the back of the hotel and there was no noise whatsoever from the main bustling steet of Temple Bar.

All in all was a very pleasant experience and would stay here aagain.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jatman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bristol, England
Reviewed September 12, 2006

I took my boyfriend for three nights in Dublin as a surprise for his 30th birthday and thought I'd pay a bit more to stay in a 'boutique' hotel like The Morgan. I wish I hadn't.

On first sight the room was stylish though small, but when we looked a little closer we found that the TV and cupboard were broken. The bathroom and shower were scruffy and tiny, although it was farily clean and the complementary toiletries were lovely.

The worst problem, however, was the noise. As we had chosen to stay in Templer Bar we were expecting some noise, but nothing compared to what we actually experienced. We were at the back of the hotel and it was mid-week, but the nightclub next door stayed open until the small hours and when it closed everyone congregated on the street outside shouting and singing for what seemed like ages. This wouldn't have been so bad if the seals on the windows hadn't been broken, meaning we couldn't even try and shut the sound out.

We complained about this when we checked out and weren't even offered an apology. To top everything off, the man on the desk tried to charge us for Wi-Fi usage when we didn't even have a laptop with us!

There were a couple of plus points - the bed was very comfy, the location is central and the bar and reception area are airy and stylish - but overall the Morgan was a major dissappointment and very overpriced. It doesn't look like a hotel which has just had a major refurbsihment - in fact, it looks in serious need of another one!

Stayed June 2006
2 Thank Abi2000
Liverpool, England
Reviewed September 7, 2006

We had booked the Morgan for two nights before seeing some very poor reviews on Trip Advisor, so I emailed the hotel with my concerns. I was assured that all the bedrooms had been refurbished in the last two months so I stuck with the booking, and we weren't disappointed. We had a very nice standard double with a balcony (don't expect much of a view though!), a very comfy bed and smart contemporary furnishings. Nice trimmings too - robes, slippers etc.

The only faults were the very tiny and ancient TV, and the fact that the bathroom seemed to have missed out on the refurbishment. There was peeling paint on the ceiling and damage to the bath - however the overall impression was still of a modern, clean, functioning bathroom with quality toiletries so I wouldn't let this put you off.

Staff were helpful and polite and provided a vase when I bought flowers for my wife.

The downstairs area, as has been mentioned often, is fab - very cool and funky bar with great music. We stayed on a room only basis, so dined each morning a few doors down in Temple Bar, at the Elephant and Castle, a very popular and reasonable cafe serving up American and Irish style breakfasts.

• Liked — Sexy bar and perfect location
  • Disliked — Battered bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Skip breakfast and go for granola at the Elephant and Castle
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank nezzerus
London
Reviewed August 23, 2006

After deciding on a last minute trip to Dublin my boyfriend and I booked a deluxe double at the Morgan for three nights. As with a previous reviewer I too am a travel writer ( I didn't inform the hotel of this) and have stayed in all sorts of accomodation from 5 star safari lodges to muddy zulu huts. Based on my experiences I thought the Morgan was a wonderful place to stay. For anyone who's had the pleasure of visiting the fabulous Sanderson hotel in London I'd quite happily label the Morgan as it's little sister.

Our room was large and well equipped with a huge boudoir style bed, mirrored furniture, a 'ghost' style console chair and even a white leather chaise. The bathroom was furnished with sandy marble and I loved the glass surround and rolling doors. Our room came with robes, slippers and even an umbrella should it be needed, a great thought in rainy Ireland. Downstairs the lobby is tiled and styled with an array of high backed benches and leather chairs, the lifts to the rooms are decked top to bottom in leather! The bar too is stylish and hip with great dj's and a young funky crowd. The Morgan has actually just released it's own CD of lounge music and any lovers of Hotel Costes or Cafe del Mar compilations will feel right at home.

As with all hotels there were a few minor let downs. The tap to our bathroom sink was a little loose, the shower was so powerful it actually had a tendancy of over shooting the edge of the bath and the tv was a little more complicated than it needed to be. But none of these things could be classed as a 'holiday wrecker'

Some previous reviewers have commented on the excessive noise of the surrounding area. Whilst understandably annoying bookers at the Morgan must consider that the hotel is in the centre of Temple bar, an area renouned for it's nightlife and famous for it's bars and clubs. If you seek peace and quiet it's probably not for you. Try to stay in the quieter areas north of Grafton Street or near St Stephens Green they are just as close to the major tourist attactions and surrounded mostly by townhouses, shops and the park itself. Having said that, the Morgan staff have taken this into consideration and installed air conditioning in all the rooms. The windows, once closed are pretty much soundproof.

All in all the Morgan delivers what it promises, a funky hotel in a trendy happening area. Come to have a good time, relax, enjoy the atmosphere and you'll love it.

P.S - Watch out for that mini bar, it's computerised and if you move the contents, (even just to admire the packaging) it will be charged to your room.

• Liked — It's great location and funky decor
  • Disliked — The bathroom lights weren't very bright, even at full
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't move ANYTHING in the minibar, you'll be charged as it's computerised. And hotel guests can stay on the bar after it's closed to the public, just waft your room key under the bar staffs noses and you'll be squirreled round to the leather chaired hallway for after hours drinking! hurrah!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Pinkie35
London
Reviewed August 21, 2006

I took my Boyfriend away to Dublin as a suprise for his 30th Birthday. I had booked a standard room at the Morgan on the recommendation of Conde Nast Travellor and a reputable guide book.

The room we were given was a complete disaster though. Apart from being no bigger than a shoe box and having no bath, there were stains all over the carpets and curtains, cupboard doors were missing their handles and there were holes in the walls and skirting boards. I was so dissapointed, I've never seen a room so bad. We went straight back to reception and asked politely if we could change rooms. Thankfully we were offered an upgrade (at no extra cost), which of course we took. This room was a million times better than the last, in fact we couldn't fault it! - (It was a shame, because when we came to leave, and collected our luggage from another of their standard rooms we noticed that it was much bigger and in far better condition than the one we were originally offered!)

We did also get woken by the fire alarm at 5am one morning, and although this is not something that can really be complained about, the fact that the solitary staff member on duty at the time had absolutly no control over the situation is! It really was a shambles - lets hope, in the event of a real fire, they're better organised!

Apart from these small issues, the rest of the stay was very enjoyable. The staff were plesent and helpful and despite that one room, it was the clean modern Boutique hotel I had hoped for.

I don't want to discourange anyone from staying here because it is a lovely hotel - but don't settle for your room if it isn't anything but perfect..........they'll get the hint eventually!!

Stayed August 2006
3 Thank HGower
New York
Reviewed July 8, 2006

We recently stayed at the Morgan and were very disappointed for the money we had paid. The rooms were in need of maintenance with peeling plaster, a bath that needed regrouting and various other niggles. Breakfast was poorly cooked and service was adequate but slow. Things weren't terrible but the overall experience was nowhere near the fees being charged.

We did have good food and good service at the Tapas Bar connected to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
derry
Reviewed July 3, 2006

We stayed at the Morgan last week-end and were VERY pleasantly surprised, after reading all the negative reviews. There were four of us( two couples) and we each had a deluxe room in the new section of the hotel. The rooms were absolutely spotless( especially being entirely white with beautiful mirrored furniture) and were very peaceful. They had everything you could possibly need, from lovely bathrobes to tea and coffee-making facilities.All the decor downstairs was just lovely(very atmospheric come dark,with candles etc.) The courtyard had a lovely ambience which was a nice touch in the (wonderful!)madness that is Templebar.
All the staff that we met were friendly and helpful without being obtrusive, so all in all, we had a really lovely stay with no complaints(and I am quite fussy!)

• Stayed June 2006