“Opulent, Fun and Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Morgan

The Morgan
Ranked #35 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Essex
“Opulent, Fun and Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

This hotel is brilliant right in the middle of all the action in Temple Bar. The staff are very helpful and when was the last time the manager gave you the tour of the Penthouse like David Schcheider did! Make sure you have a look its somethimng else! The buffet Breakfast was plentiful and the staff dont hassle you out when its over. The quality of everything in the hotel is spot on. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable and theres free internet access. Only thing that spoilt it was we had to come home!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
South East UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2009

I've stayed at the Morgan about 4 times in 2008, for work.

It's never my choice to stay there & I certainly wouldn't pay my own money for it!

It's supposed to be 'boutique' but it's really a bit battered if you look at the bar/rooms in the cold light of day.

There is always a problem with my room, first time, it was opened & being painted when I came to drop my stuff, the next visit, the bathroom wasn't clean, third time the bathroom mirror wasn't hung on the wall, so you had to kneel on the floor to see your reflection (plus big hole in the celing).

Also the breakfast is bad. Not recommended to eat there.

Great central location though, the staff are friendly, but it can take an age to check in at the fancy reception desk. Cocktails in the bar are SLOW & hit or miss, depending on

Your choice!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

Hi Guys!!
Well I booked the morgan for my 23rd birthday and for mine and my partners anniversary, was soooo excited...until i started reading all the bad reviews on here, I felt disappointed before I had even got there, what choice did I have though I had already booked it!!! Flew to dublin and got the bus to the city-which did not take very long at all, arrived at the hotel quite late so it was full of party goers downstairs absolutely fantastic atmosphere! staff were fantastic, really proffessional and polite! Before I said any thing the man at the desk said, "Hi Jade we have been expecting you!" how cute!!! we got in a terribly funky lift and up to our room which was big, beautiful, clean and quiet! It absolutely took my breath away, I think what people have to realise is that this hotel is not a family hotel or a comfort hotel it is a designer boutique and a bit quirky so if thats not what your looking for then obviously dont book it...simple really!!, I will admit we were incredibly lucky to have such a wonderful room, i am sure that other rooms will be on a smaller scale, but we got a really good deal to start with. overall the hotel was amazing and the staff were friendly, assertive and helpful. Although one thing i will say is that dublin is very very expensive..the first pub we went to cost 18 euros for 2 drinks!!! also if you are going to dublin for a special occasion i highly recommend a restaraunt called "from mexico to rome" i had a steak there and it was absolutely gorgeous in fact the whole meal was to die for!

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank Love_to_fly007
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2009

we have just arrived back from an over night getaway at the plush Morgan hotel. After reading the reviews on different wesites i was rather confused to be honest, some websites were giving bad reports. i work for an online travel company as a sales manager. when we arrived to the hotel we were greated by this very nice guy who checked us in and gave me an upgrade to the suit, i think is was due to the fact i work in the travel business.
all in all it was an excellent stay, staff friendly, bar very nice ( try the cocktails!!!!) expensive but worth every penny!!!

• Liked — the amazing Cocktail bar
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2009

I'm surpised to see so many very negative reviews for this hotel on TripAdvisor.com.

My room looked exactly like the picture, with stylish design and all the extras like bathrobes and slippers.

The hotel is in the middle of an area with lots of late bars. In fact, the hotel had its own very lively bar downstairs, yet I didn't hear any noise at all from that in my room, which was at the back of the hotel. There was no view, and there was noise from pubgoers going home at closing time.

My number one critisism is the shower screen. It is far too short which means that the bathroom floor is completely covered in water after every shower.

My second critisism is the large screen all-in-one TV/radio/music player/computer. It was switched on when I entered the room, which is a waste of electricity. Some of the TV channels weren't tuned in properly and the radio didn't work. Although there is a sign saying wireless Internet is free, Internet via this TV costs €6.50 per day. Why give free wireless Internet and make people pay for Internet on the TV?

The minibar was open on the first night but inexplicably locked on the second. I could have asked them to unlock it but then I thought I might as well pop out to the Spar to get a much cheaper can of Coke. If they want to lock the minibar then it's their revenue they're losing.

So all in all, if the shower screen problem was fixed, I would definitely stay here again because it's very centrally located and because the design makes a welcome change from the bland design of most hotels nowadays.

• Liked — Design
  • Disliked — A shower screen which didn't work
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
South Shields, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2008

My friend and I looked forward with exitement to our Morgan EXPERIENCE in Dublin. However on arrival we were given a double room instead of the twin deluxe which had been booked. On approaching the reception I was met with a patronising explanation to placate me, eventualy a very efficient young lady sorted out the bed situation. All of the day before's bed linnen was outside of our door nearly all day.
I'm sure when new the now tired and dropping to bits furniture was first class, but it now bears no resemblance to the pictures on the website.
With no heating in our room and in December we were extremely cold. They had only left one sachet of coffee each in the room so we couldnt even make ourselves a hot drink. Eventualy we got a plug in radiator from the duty manager but of course it was now to late to get changed for our night out in Dublin.
We had expected for the 200 euro's price that we would be pampered a little but instead were treated with distain and no-one cared if we were there or not.
The Morgan Hotel is more expensive than some well known chains like the Hilton group but give nothing like the service that they do.
I really wish I had looked at this website before booking but I will not make that mistake again. My only hope is that someone in authority will take notice and do something about it, the staff need to be completely re-trained in every aspect of customer service and the board needs to be sacked, The board are the people that authorise replacement furnitue and refurbishment and I think they are just taking my money under false pretences. I am sure trading standards would have something to say about their misleading website pictures!
After staying in the Morgan I complained twice first to the receptionist then to the manager both to no availe.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2008

Agree with most of the other reviews on here. I booked before checking Trip Advisor which was foolish.....
The Morgan is in the middle of Temple Bar so you have you are central however Dublin is small and nothing is that far away. The extra £ the Morgan charges for a weekend is not worth the bonus of the location in my opinion.

The rooms are small & have seen better days (the pictures on the website aren't exactly accurate!). Even small things like the advertised robes and slippers where missing. The cream carpet was stained & because no fan in the bathroom the paint on the bathroom ceiling was mouldy & starting to flake.

I stayed here in November & the hotel was incredibly hot & with no air con there is no option but to open the window & hear the noise from outside. You are in Temple Bar & in the middle of a street renonwed for drinking til the early hours - look at the other reviews on TripAdvisor before you book & work out if it's worth the money/hassle.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The disappointment for a so-labelled boutique 4* hotel
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business