“Depends on your perspective”
Review of The Morgan

The Morgan
Ranked #39 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We wanted to stay close in to Dublin so that we could walk everywhere. The Morgan fit the bill. in that regard. It was actually quite cute inside and the staff were really nice. We had a queen size bed on the third floor with a balcony. The balcony was both the savoir and the annoyer.

The savoir dimension is something anyone staying here in the summer months must consider. Not all the rooms have air conditioning, which normally would not matter - but we were here during a heat wave. Our first room had no air con AND no windows which was intolerable. They had a small fan, but it just pushed hot air around. We had to move out into a second room that still had no AC, but it had a balcony so we could open the window and door, put a fan in it, and blow cool air in at night.

Of course - that brings up the annoyance factor. Because the hotel is right in the middle of Temple Bar, the street noise is loud and late. So opening the door and windows to get air resulted in lots of noise. All of a sudden the free earplugs made sense. To be fair, if you stay in the Temple Bar area, it is the center of nightlife - so it is what it is!

All in all we managed nicely, got decent rest and the coolness at night really helped us sleep. Make sure when you check in however you ask about street noise, windows, and AC.

The breakfast was not included, and we bought it for just one day. It was decent, but the staff was having trouble keeping up - so stuff was frequently empty. A few minutes wait would result in a refill - so if you are not in a hurry or terribly impatient it should work fine. The food was ok, not stellar. I saw cheese on the serving tray at the mini-buffet that was way past its prime.

There is a gym with a pool available for registered hotel guests right down the street in another hotel. We did not use it, but that was a nice feature.

What sort of rubbed me the wrong way is that the room we had reserved was not available - so they "ugpgraded" us to a suite. The suite was room one, described above, and an inferno. The fellow a the desk reluctantly gave us another room (room 2 with the balcony).

The point here was I don't like to be given an "upgrade" that is really a room that they knew no one else would be able to stay in, trying to save their one last decent room for someone else. The Morgan Suite was lovely - but for heavens sakes - hot or not - there should be some way to ventilate it. The only possibility for even moving the stale hot air was with a small fan. Put an air exchange in there and make the windows openable. If there was a fire in the hotel, there would not be any way to get out either. Creeped me out.

finally, our king bed was two mattresses pushed together - which I dont like and ends up being uncomfortable. They slide apart and the result is the San Andreas fault line right down the center of the bed. Just stick with a queen or something that is not two beds pushed together,.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has Air Con *or* if you can open windows - otherwise the rooms are too still and stu...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Morgan

Reviewed July 19, 2013

really nice interior, quirky design, nice cool place in the heart of temple bar.
really buzzy on the weekend,so can be overrun with hen dos. but rooms are quiet so not a massive problem.
good for a couples weekend.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2013

If you stay at this hotel you will literally be right in the middle of the Temple Bar district. You'll be surrounded by bars and restaurants, which for us was fabulous...we loved it! You have the lobby area and then it goes up to four floors. The lobby is really pretty and has awesome seating options down the hallway and in the next door bar/restaurant.

The room itself was beautiful! We were in room 222. Large, clean and had free internet. Great selections in the mini bar as well. Large windows to look out. My only suggestion on the room is the bathroom amenities: it would be great if you provided a real conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo. That often doesn't work well for those of us with long hair. If you are a light sleeper, I highly suggest not being on the first floor or in a room that faces the street. We were on the second floor and could faintly hear the bass beats of the hotel bar, so if you're on the first floor I can imagine it's loud.

The staff in the hotel was very polite and promptly helped us or answered any questions/issues we may have had. Cabs aren't waiting for you outside, but the hotel can easily call one for you and they'll show up quickly. The hotel is within walking distance to bus stops, fun bars/shops/restaurants and pretty much anything else you could want. Can't wait to go back and see what my next room is like, since I hear they are all different!

Room Tip: rooms in back are quieter, high floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of having a private party in the Penthouse in the Morgan Hotel. It was absolutley amazing the roof top terrace was stunning and a perfect setting for our party. The staff were lovely and friendly but gave us our space to enjoy ourselves into the early hours. Would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a venue and I will definitely be back...
Great cocktails great food and a great night!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

My friend booked this hotel for us and when I heard it was right in Temple Bar I was a little concerned, but what an incredible surprise! The Morgan is in an ideal location right in the heart of Temple Bar but completely breaks the mold of what you'd expect. A modern hotel with interesting decor. When we checked in our room wasn't ready so we were offered an upgrade for a minimal price- this put us on the side away from the main Temple Bar and gave us air conditioning. Both critical if there in the summer.

Then after a day out and about we returned to find the dining area had turned into a pretty hip club. Especially when compared to all the traditional pubs in the area, quite a nice change. Be prepared to dress a little for the occasion but its well worth it.

We didn't eat there but it all looked good. Great service and friendly staff!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have stayed in The Morgan now 4 times on business, it has always been a lovely stay, hence why I continue to go back. Perfect location for temple bar, but still quiet in the rooms. The rooms are all of a high standard. The Morgan has a very relaxed atmosphere about it. will be booking again.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Morgan_Hotel_Manager, General Manager at The Morgan, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Hi paulag76 I hope this email finds you well and that the sun is shinning wherever you may be. What a great summer so far in Dublin. Record breaking temperatures everyday. Paulag76, thank you so much for taking time out and writing such a nice and thoughtful review of your stays with us. Four times now. Wow thats a true honour. We must be doing something right, Lol. Our location is Amazing isn't it. Smack Bang in the middle of Temple Bar with all it's adventures and wildlife. A location second to none. Each and every one of our 121 rooms @ the Morgan are uniquely different in their own funked up kind of way. Every nano inch of the hotel is looked at on a daily basis and tweeked to perfection. Such a nice review again Thank you. Please ask for me on your next ( fifth ) visit and I would be honoured to treat you to one of our award winning cocktails. It's nice to be nice to the nice. Have a great day, take care and I look forward to seeing you again with us soon

Eddie Sweeney

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My boyfriend booked a night in the hotel as a present for me as I had always wanted to stay. I was not let down. From check in everything went smoothly Unfortunately I cannot remember the woman who checked us in name.but she was v friendly n.efficient. We stayed in a suite it was fab n spacious. Very clean to. We had cocktails in the bar which was lovely. Breakfast was v good too great selection.location is brilliant too. The overall decor of the hotel and n bar is fab n unique. I would definitely stay again n recommend hotel :-)

• Stayed: June 2013

xxJeni_Cxx Hi and hello, I hope this email finds you well and all is going well so far with your summer. The hottest summer in 25 years they say. xxJeni_Cxx thank you so much for taking time out in this heat and writing such a nice and uplifting review of your recent birthday stay with us. Just delighted to read this, Excellent, thank you for the kind words. It's reviews such as this that I print off and hang in our staff area for all to read to show we're doing it right. The Suites are Amazing here aren't they. All cool layed out funked up in all the right ways. People love them and always come back for more. I have met some of my heroes in them. From Abba to ZZ Top so cool. It's always so special to read when a guest gets to experience the full effect of the Vibe we have on offer. The Morgan Vibe is world renown, updated and tweeked on a daily basis. Everyday I get emails from all four corners of this planet asking about the quirkyness and funked up style we have. They love it, I love it, We love it, You love it. Well, thank you once again for the kind words, and I hope to be welcoming you back again with us sooner than later.

Eddie Sweeney