“It all depends on your room!!”
Review of Buswells Hotel

Buswells Hotel
Ranked #24 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 9, 2006

Just returned from a two night stay in Buswells. Firstly location is great, close to Grafton St. etc.. Also, staff were excellent. However room was a disappointment. It was on the second floor, front of house. It got very warm in the room and with no air-conditioning the windows had to be open at night, but the hotel is on a busy street and the traffic noise was very loud.
The bed was a standard size and there was no bath.
Waste Water pipes, enclosed in mock walls ran down the wall right beside my husbands side of the bed and unfortunetly every flush of a toilet upstairs could be heard through the night.
On the plus side the room was quite large, very clean and shower was very powerful.
Also as other reviewers have said, when we spoke to reception we were told this is a city hotel. We have been in many city hotels but this is the first time we had problems with noise.
Overall the hotel is lovely but if staying ask for an air-conditioned room or one on the higher floors.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank gg6217

Reviewed August 4, 2006

My partner and I decided to use backpacks instead of suitcases on our trip. When we walked into Buswells with our backpacks we found the staff to be extremely rude to us as if we shouldn't be staying there. Not what I was expecting from Irish hospitality!

We got put into a room which was next to the staff room which meant that it was noisy throughout the night.

The room was big and the bathroom was new and immaculately clean, so even though our welcome wasn't good, the room was comfortable.

Dinner at the hotel restaurant was excellent!!!

Location is great and it is very easy to walk to all the sites and shopping areas.

All up, I probably wouldn't choose to stay there again, but would recommend the hotel for those that are looking for a good 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Metzke
Reviewed July 24, 2006

Just returned from a two night stay, have been to Dublin several times before but this was my first stay at Buswells and I won't be staying anywhere else in future. Great location, really central but away from the noisy Temple Bar area, in fact the only hotel in a fairly quiet Georgian(?) street. Lovely room with huge bed, period furniture and fireplace, impressive public rooms including a large bar area serving a wide range of very good food and an elegant restaurant where breakfast is cooked to order - a rare thing nowadays. All the staff are truly friendly with no hint of the stuffiness one might expect at such a refined hotel. If there is one criticism it is that the room (100) was not air conditioned and the weather was very hot, so it was necessary to open the windows, which allowed in a fair bit of traffic noise - but that's a minor quibble. Overall, it's a very special little hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Peter K
Reviewed June 14, 2006

Just returned from 2 nights at Buswells, have stayed in Dublin several times before, this is the best hotel I have stayed in. Central but off the stag/hen trail. Airbus stops right outside on the inward journey and 5 mins walk away on the outward journey, well worth doing, comfortable coaches and 7 euros each way or 12 euros return.About a 1/4 of the taxi fare.
Rooms are very clean, hairdryer provided and lots of toiletries in bathroom. Good sized bathroom with very powerful shower. Whole hotel obviously recently renovated. Entrance very impressive, morning room with lots of comfortable sofas, a ready supply of free newspapers, comfortable and spacious bar. Competitively priced bar snacks.
The buffet breakfast was spectacular! Irish linen table cloths and napkins, tables well-spaced so no-one is overhearing your conversations! 4 different fresh juices,a selection of fruit, fresh and dried, cereals, croissants and pastries followed by full Irish breakfast all included in the price.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank lynn2910
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 3, 2006

I have returned today from a three night stay at this hotel, having had a very good time. The hotel is located right next to the Parliament and you feel like you are at the heart of Irish politics. The bar is frequented by some well known Irish individuals.

Most of the attractions are within walking distance as is the hop on hop off bus service that will take you to further locations such as the Guiness Storehouse.

On the plus side:

The reception staff were excellent. They memorised my name and room number and were always pleasant.
The food at breakfast and dinner was very good.
A very good pint of guiness can be obtained in the Bar.
The room had all of the ususal amenities

On the negative side

The room (121) was rather hot.
On the Thursday night, the bar was packed.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2006

The service was impeccable, extremely friendly and helpful. The decor in the public areas was very plush, however the bedrooms were a little basic and pretty small, with small bathrooms (room 126 has no bath) but very clean and with a good shower. Location was good, well away from O'Connell Street, and only a very short walk to Grafton Street shopping area and about 10-15mins walk to Temple Bar (thoroughly recommend Eden restaurant btw).

The only major complaint was the noise...we stayed in the twin room, 126, on our first night, as we'd requested a quiet room. It was at the back of the hotel on a side road which was in itself quiet, however the main road is adjacent to this and very noisy in the daytime. It quietens down a bit at night but still louder than you'd hope for. The main problem with this room was that it was above the kitchen and so the staff were coming and going all night, banging the door as they went, and chatting outside the kitchen on cigarette breaks, made worse by delivery trucks turning up at 6am.

So the next night we moved to the double room, 210, on the second floor which was at the front of the hotel (on a reasonably quiet road, but again next to the busy main road). The room was even smaller than 126 and VERY warm even with the windows open all day, and with no air con to cool it down I can imagine it would be awful in the summer (it was only 14C outside!) The noise from the road was again pretty bad, although ear plugs ensured that we got some sleep that night.

On making a comment the next day about the noise, we were told that this is to be expected in a city centre hotel, although I'm sure I've had more sleep in other city hotels... I guess they can't install double glazing due to the age of the building.

Would we stay again? Probably not, but if you can deal with some noise then the hotel is really beautiful and the staff were extremely friendly, and the muffins at breakfast were amazing!!

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank BexEee
Reviewed April 23, 2006

We just returned from Ireland 2 days ago. Had a 2 night stay at Buswells at the beginning of our trip. We took the Air Coach from the airport to the hotel, (drops you within feet of the hotel) arriving at Buswells around 6:30 a.m. (front doors were still locked) and got let in by the night desk clerk. Originally we had planned on dropping off our luggage and wandering round Dublin for a bit until we could check in. The clerk checked on room openings and told us they did have an open triple room we could check into right then. There might be the possibility of having to move us later in the day but he didn't think so. We were very grateful for being allowed to check in so early as our 11 yr. old son had developed a cold on the trip over and was feeling pretty darn miserable. Our room (302) was on the small size but we weren't bothered by it because we figured it was fair exchange for letting us check in so early. From the little card that had our original booked room number on it, I saw we'd originally been booked for Rm 214. I have no idea if that is a more spacious room. Being able to let my son curl up under some warm covers and get some sleep was more important to me!

Desk staff was very friendly. One of the evenings I walked into the crowded bar (business conference?----all in dark suits) and asked the waitress if I could get a bottle of wine opened. She directed me to the restaurant and told me Daniel would be more than happy to do that for me. He did indeed and also gave me 2 wine glasses to take with me, without my asking. Our room was clean, fairly quiet for being right in the city and the bathroom was just fine. Apparently the rate was pretty good too as I told our friend over there what we paid and he said it was pretty good for Dublin esp. given the location. He grew up in Dublin but had never been in Buswells and was quite impressed with the lobby when he came to collect us to take us down to Wexford.

Overall we were quite satisfied.

Stayed: April 2006